“No longer vegetarian, but the few vegan options are better than before”
Review of Shasta

Shasta
Ranked #358 of 586 Restaurants in Guatemala City
Reviewed 7 July 2016

I first went to Shasta about a year ago. Though the presentation of the dishes was beautiful, I was disappointed in the flavors–or lack of them. As much as I wanted to support a vegetarian restaurant, the food just wasn’t that good.

Yesterday we were in the neighborhood and decided to try Shasta again, not knowing in advance that their menu has change and no longer vegetarian. The do have a few vegan dishes, however, and I was pleasantly surprised to find the same beautiful presentation, but much better flavors than before. I had the Pad Thai and my husband had the falafel. We were told that the only other vegan options were the hummus and a salad.

I wouldn’t make a special trip to go back, but if you’re in Zona 4, Shasta still has a few good vegan options.

Reviewed 20 November 2015

This is a mid-range restaurant by Guatemalan standards but would be considered inexpensive in more developed countries. It's a lovely little place tucked away on a hip street with street art and another cafe. The menu changes seasonally. On our visit (November 2015), we had peanut noodles (Thai style, although needs more peanut sauce), falafel (FANTASTIC), and the Thai salad (shredded carrots with peanuts, in a tamarind and peanut sauce--this was great). The peanut noodles needed more of a kick but everything else was delicious. Service is great, warm and friendly.

Reviewed 30 September 2015 via mobile

A cozy and different atmosphere much needed in the CiTy. Tasty inventions and great original cocktails.

Great chill music and atmosphere. Affordable drinkable wines by the bottle or glass.

Reviewed 17 August 2015 via mobile

Don't order the soup, my friends had burguers and noodles. Lucky them. My miso soup was tasteless and it took a long time to come, same with the drinks. The waiter was nice but the food took too much time. Also, it was too expensive for what we received (quality and quantity).

Reviewed 26 May 2015

I'd been wanting to try Shasta since it opened, but I don't get to zona 4 very often (I live at Lake Atitlan). When some business brought us nearby, we jumped at the chance to go for lunch. It's a bit out-of-the-way, but Waze took us right there.

The general location is worth a visit. It's hip, with the influences of artists, a university, and tech businesses. It feels completely different from anywhere else in Guatemala City.

The restaurant is tiny. We were there at 4pm on a Thursday afternoon, and there were only two other people having drinks. The menu looks wonderful and pretty extensive. We chose the spring rolls, Pho, and Don Sesamo noodles.

Our lemonades came quickly, but without the lemon--the server gave us glass of sugar water. He realized his mistake pretty quickly and brought new glasses, but they didn't have much lemon either.

The spring rolls came out to our chorus of "ooooh." The presentation is beautiful: fat spring rolls full of greens. Unfortunately, the presentation is the best part. The sauce on the plate was oily and tasteless. The sauce in the rolls was better, but thin and there was very little of it. We went from "ooooh" to "huh."

The pho was full of mushrooms and greens with rice noodles. The broth was watery: it had a nice flavor, but with no richness. At first it was hard to tell because it was quite spicy (I like spicy, but this was on the edge of too much). I expect a large bowl when I order pho, but this was just a regular soup bowl.

The Don Sesamo noodles had a thin peanut sauce. Again, surprisingly little flavor. Picante sauce helped both the noodles and the pho.

The worst part of the meal was realizing that the table was filthy. After using up my napkin trying to clean it, we asked the one person working to wipe the table with a damp rag. He did so promptly, but that's one thing you really shouldn't have to ask for.

The amount of food was barely enough for me, and my husband left hungry. We weren't thrilled about ordering anything else by that time.

Maybe we caught Shasta on a bad day, but it was disappointing. We won't be making any special treks to zona 4 to try again.