“Exquisite sushi”

Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Discover the best kept secrets of Japanese cuisine in a intimate yet relaxed atmosphere for enjoying the cuisine and oriental specialties.
Reviewed 17 June 2016

One of the best sushi of Guatemala City. I went the first time and had to go again and again, three times in two weeks..

1  Thank capt_110
Odalís G, Director General at Tanoshii, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2016

Dear capt_110;

We are grateful for letting us know your impressions about our restaurant. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the experience since start to end, as well as our quality of food, service and attention.

We look forward to serve you again in futures visits, on this, your home!

Reviewed 5 June 2016 via mobile

The service was slow, they didn't had a beverages menu, we ordered a plate named "los barcos" and we believe it was expensive, it sounded like a very good and large plate, but it was small and not that good. The sushi rolls were really small from what we are used to.

1  Thank Santiago V
Odalís G, Director General at Tanoshii, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2016

Dear Santiago V;

Thank you very much for taking the time and giving us this feedback about your experience on our restuarante. We will move on these comments to our Food and Beverage Director, to check and guarantee procedures and quality standards.

We look forward to your visit soon to reverse this experience.

Reviewed 5 June 2016

I'm in Guatemala city due to business purposes and I'm a Japanese food lover.
I was trying to find a good Japanese restaurant nearby.
There are few options here. Most of restaurants are steak/gril or mediterranean food.
I looked for using TripAdivsor and Tanoshi was the best jap restaurant in the rank.
But the experience was terrible.
Probably because of living in a city with excellent Japanese restaurants (São Paulo City - Brazil), I hated Tanoshi food.
The service is very good and courteous but the food is awful.
We asked one main course and one combined.
Sushi, sashimi, uramaki, niguiri combined was very bad.
Sashimi slices were too thick. The combined came with many uramakis and few sashimis, few niguiris (just 2), few hossomakis.
I got the feeling of wanting to save money putting many cheap uramakis (based in rice) instead of pieces with fish or algae.
The main course was a Teriaky Shrimp Rice.It was extremely greasy and heavy. Shimps were not correctly prepared. Rice risotte was also heavy due to oil excess.
The vegetables were tasteless and poorly seasoned. Just oil, oil, oil, oil, Argh....

Despite of the horrible food, Tanoshi is a very expensive restaurant for the Guatemala reality. We paid approximately 350 quetzales by person without alcoholic drinks or dessert.

Dear Marcelo W;

Thank you very much for your recent visit and for providing feedback about your experience. We have read with much care your comment, and we regret that on this occasion we were not at level of your expectations.

We will review with our executive chef the standards and recipes of all the dishes, to ensure the quality we are committed to providing.

Once again thank you very much, and we look forward to have the opportunity to serve you on future visits and reverse this experience.

Reviewed 28 May 2016

Getting the sushi experience when you're gluten free can be really difficult. Tanoshii hit it out of the park. The staff here is mostly bi-lingual. I attempted explaining my dietary restriction in english, but switched the spanish when it clearly wasn't making sense. I asked that they help me choose rolls I could eat. The sweet server understood and immediately went to speak to the chefs and her manager. I could hear them discussing it and the manager came back with their recommendations. And then she came back with gluten free tamarin. SCORE! In addition to a lovely rainbow roll that wasn't smothered in sauces of unknown substances, I ordered a simple avocado roll, which came out not only stuffed with avocado but also topped with it, to match my rainbow roll. The food came quickly, the staff was attentive but didn't hover. The ambiance is really lovely. And they have a great wine selection.

1  Thank Lindsey D

Dear Lindsey D;

Thank you very much for taking your time and write a review about your experience at Tanoshii restaurant. We are delighted to hear that at the end our service and kitchen staff could assist you with your special request. We will working our service sequences in order to ensure consistency of it.

We look forward to serve you again in futures visits.

Reviewed 24 May 2016

There are definitely better sushi places in the area. I would recommend trying one of those. But this is a decent, clean stand-by if you don't want to leave the hotel. Caution of the hours, they aren't always open. A bit pricey, compared to average food in the country.

1  Thank Nikaela B