Google
from US$70.52
from US$50.00
from US$60.00
More Info
All reviews upper floor buy souvenirs household goods food area traditional food food court metropolitan cathedral main plaza nice place shop delicacies tourists clothing artesania guatemala buying country
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

As you can see at the picture, the market is under ground and behind that is the Cathedral.

So you can go a hang around, but don’t expect to have a blast like restaurants or so, I saw two Mc Donald’s *Yucky, in the plaza just behind the Market you will see some local informal business that sell street food... I have Titanium stomach so is ok for me, but I didn’t dare.

So back to the point they do not accept Credit Card just cash and since I looked like a foreign guy, they get the prices up. So be smart and check your exchange rate in order to avoid any tricky price.

Some of the shops were closed, too much of the same, nothing fun or interest here. Go and check you might like to see for your own and avoid someone like me to tell you what yes or not to do ; )

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

Great market with lots of food options. Vegetable selection was not as big as I had hoped. If you are looking for real exotic stuff probably won’t see it here. But overall a fun place and great way to experience real native foods.

Date of experience: April 2018
1  Thank 56003Richard
Reviewed 22 March 2018

We went mid-morning on a Saturday as a stop on a private full day tour of the City. It was lively, especially downstairs by the food and plants, but what I appreciated most was that it was organized and has lots of space to move around. I didn't feel overwhelmed by jostling and smells like I often do in markets everywhere. It was the best market experience of our month in the country. A feast for the eyes and a chance for a relatively unpressured buying experience.

Date of experience: March 2018
1  Thank Serenana
Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

This is definitely Da place to shop for classic Guatemalan style items. You will pay a third of what you would pay in Antigua or any other place. The people are very nice and will not pressure you to buy anything. If you plan to buy gifts or souvenirs this is the place to visit

Date of experience: March 2018
2  Thank jsosa196
Reviewed 2 February 2018 via mobile

To me, mercados are the heartbeat of a city. I love to explore them and look at the fruits and veggies. The herbs and spices. The food stalls. The tchotchkes. The kids and people.

Well, when in Guatemala City, this is no different. When in Rome.....

We went early enough so as to not bump bodies, which I loathe. Be careful in here and only carry quetzals in a hidden spot. I wouldn’t bring a purse. Maybe a backpack carried in front.

It is a fun event in this somewhat barren part of town.

Date of experience: February 2018