All reviews lower apartment sea breeze our home away from home air conditioning caribbean sea stefano sidewalk village fans belize peninsula tours honeymoon
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Stefano greeted us after a wonderful prior week for us on a boat. He had been working hard to get the Colibri House ready for our stay. Newly varnished wood, interior painting, etc. They had worked until the night before we walked in. Everything was fresh and clean. Only regret - and not Stefano's fault - were some little black bugs that bite and make you itch. We were careful with the doors to make sure they were shut...helped a lot. We rented a golf cart to get around, took Stefano advice about to good places for dinner...and finished our vacation swinging in the outdoor hammock, reading, going for walks on the beach...having some wine on the little porch in the evening. The downstairs was cozy, and we certainly enjoyed Placencia...Thanks Stefano...it was great!

Room Tip: Upper suite had a better view of ocean and area, but steps to climb. We loved the lower suite as it still hand wonderful ocean view...and no steps.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
ColibriHouseBelize, Owner at Colibri House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Hi All! This is the first time I am answering to every Guest/Friend who have reviewed us in this Magic site called Tripadvisor. A Magic link that connect Rental Business, Travelers and Tourists of the whole Earth... Thank to All of you and to Tripadvisor our little business, the Colibri House has prospered for years being able to survive also in recent difficult times because of the terrible Global Economical meltdown... It has been taught to everybody but maybe all of us have reached to the end of that tunnel that badly hit many nice Families. I have always thought about all of you hoping that the nice people who have picked up our vacation rental to enjoy their holidays could make it as we have been able to make it until now. I am sincerely grateful to all of you... Now possibly all of us will have to fight again against new Economical Challenges plus the Global change of the weather, so weird and unpredictable here in Belize as in the rest of the World. But I am sure that all of us will be blessed and we will make it again!!! I have always thought that the Karma strongly linked to the Colibri House was good for us and for our Guests/Friends and I hope He helped you as He helped us... Just a thought after so many years (14...) I started this business with Nicoletta, when nobody here or at home in Italy could even think we could make it... I wanted to share it with All of you but now it is better if I will post it right the way!!!! If not I won't be so brave to do it!!!!!!!! ;o)

Reviewed 14 September 2012

We stayed at the Colibri House in Placencia for three weeks in July of 2012. It was three of us and rented the bottom part of the Colibri. Our stay there was wonderful. The place was well kept and comfortable. Stefano and his business partner, Nikoleta, were very attentive and available whenever we needed something. We walked or biked (using the bikes provided at the house) everywhere in Placencia. We did our grocery shopping and a lot of of the sightseeing using the bicycles. Stefano is a marvelous host and very funny. We picked sea grapes and cocoplums an date them right off the trees on the property. The mangoes were not in season unfortunately. The power does go out occasionally and so does the water pressure but that did not take away from the whole experience with the place. The lack of a/c was moderated by the constantly blowing wind off the sea. We'd recommend (and have done so) the Colibri House to others.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 September 2012

This past August was my first time in Belize, it was our honeymoon/vacation. Let me just say every second was UNBELIZEABLE!
The Colibri House is beautiful, well kept, and comfortable inside and out. We rented out the first floor studio for one week in August. Upon arrival to the small peninsula of Placencia we walked to the Colibri House, its location could not be more charming. The Colibri House is on the beach side of the side walk that runs through Placencia.
You walk off the sidewalk and you are in your own private beach garden! To our surprise it only got better from there, we had our own private deck with a hammock big enough for two and a small table with chairs to pull up. Our deck also had a light for when we hung out in the hammock at night.
Anything you can think of Stefano already has it set up when you get there. This was the most spacious well decorated studio I've ever been in, we fell in love with the place at first sight. The kitchen and bathroom were fully stocked, the fans were amazing + the sea breeze at night, there was no need for AC.
We felt right at home after only a few minutes in the Colibri House. Every day waking up to the sunrise over the water, then riding the bikes(which Stefano kindly supplies) all over town, and best of all cooking a Belizean dinner in our kitchen at night helped us save $$, which we then used for more BELIKINS
To top it all off the gentleman who runs the Colibri house, Stefano is quite wonderful himself. Stefano met with us to give us a small tour of the house and the keys. He pointed out the aloe plants he had around the property and jokingly said to my husband "You are very light skinned so feel free to rip a piece off and rub it on your skin when you burn", thanks again Stefano because he did burn and the aloe really helped! Stefano then grabbed a map and began to point out his favorite places to eat. From seafood joints, to a delicious but cheap meal Stefano made sure we knew the scoop. He then told us about the best grocery stores for fruit versus the best super market for gnocchi, which he then even went an extra mile of giving us a personal recipe for his Italian Gnocchi>.< delicious!
After the great advice/suggestions and laughs Stefano handed off the keys and we didn't see him again until the night before we were leaving. One of my favorite things about the Colibri House is the privacy you have and yet the whole town is only a few minutes away, it truly is the best of both worlds!
I'm so glad I found the Colibri House it was magical and exactly what we needed!

Room Tip: Studio was affordable and amazing but you can't go wrong the loft upstairs is also very nice.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

We have previously been to Placencia and stayed at Toucan Lulu, so feel free to check out that review. This time around, the owners of Toucan Lulu were out of the country, so we decided to check out a "new" site. (I put "new" in quotes since Colibri house is directly next to the cabin we stayed in at Toucan Lulu, haha). So... Colibri House.. In a word -- beautiful. We communicated with one of the owners, Stefano, via e-mail for some time before booking it for sure; he was super helpful and even willing to strike a deal with us to book the upstairs suite (we were originally interested in the downstairs apartment, but it was booked already!). And what a suite it was! Two floors, both with balconies that allow spectacular views of the beach and Caribbean. The house is located directly on the beach, had a fully equipped kitchen, and was most definitely secure. We didn't use the kitchen really, since we were too busy eating out every night at all of Placencia's amazing restaurants, but still, it's nice to have the option.
Stefano was our main point of contact, since his business partner, Nicoletta, was out of the country for most of our stay. He was warm, welcoming, and gracious. His main concern was our comfort, and he wanted to make sure everything was always up to our standards (it was!). He does not live in Placencia proper, but he made sure to tell us that he was just a phone call away if we had questions (Colibri House does have a telephone). This being our 2nd stay in Placencia, we didn't have questions, really, but again, it was nice to know that we had the option.
OH, and did we mention the fact that a rental at Colibri House comes with complementary bikes? For us, there is no greater joy than biking around Central America. Now, keep in mind: these aren't A+, fixed gear, single speed messenger bikes that you may find in a more "developed" country; you ARE in a 3rd world country, you know. But, they ARE nice enough to get you from point "A" to point "B", and that's good enough for us! If you can't see the beauty in riding a rusty bike down a dirt road in Central America, well, you may want to reconsider whether Placencia is the right place for you.
PS: Stefano and Nicoletta take care of several cats at Colibri House: I suggest arriving prepared to buy some cat food. It will really help them out and the cats will love you for it!
PSS: Stefano and Nicoletta do not accept credit cards; they will ask you to wire money for a deposit. DO NOT let this stop you from booking with them. These are honest folks -- they are not out to steal your cash, promise!

Reviewed 28 August 2012

Colibri House took our breath away as soon as Stefano opened the 2nd Suite doors for us. The kitchen is cozy and quaint but remains open to the rest of the main level though the steep staircase to the loft upstairs separates the kitchen from the living room. After absorbing how homely Colibri felt, we wandered off to inspect both main level and roof level verandahs. The tiniest and fine tuned touches to the entire house are comforting and beautiful - and you'll continue to discover new ones until the minute you leave.

We were able to buy groceries and make ourselves right at home. We had everything we needed to cook and eat quite comfortably - and even the kitchen table has a quirk of it's own that Stefano will be sure to educate you on. "It's the Italian way".

Stefano himself is a wonderful and very funny Italian man. He has an affinity for "B" movies - and will bring you new ones and slide them into the door frame for you to find in the mornings. He comes by about once a day, and usually early, to feed the five or so cats that hang out about the property, also to keep up on regular maintenance. He enjoys a quick laugh with his guests and then continues on with his day. He makes his appearances short and sweet so that he does not disturb his visitors - which is probably impossible anyway. He is a great conversationalist and can indulge in any topic. My boyfriend enjoyed many intelligent conversations with Stefano, speaking generally about things like archaeology, travel, music, politics, crazy Italian mothers - and then I spoke with him about crazy French mothers and the art of being a writer. An overall very wonderful and entertaining man.

That being said about the owner, the house itself is just as extraordinary. The loft upstairs is beyond beautiful and has motivated us to finding a way to make our own home reflect some of Colibri's qualities and comforts. We spent countless hours in the shade of the main floor deck of the upper suite, watching over the glass like water early in the mornings until the tide began to cascade over the beach front just a minute's walk from the Colibri House. Once the sun went down, we'd gather our chairs and make our way to the roof level verandah and watch the storms roll in from the sea and from southern Belize. The storms... were unlike anything we'd witnessed before.

As far as the comforts you are unable to bring with you from your own home, you'll find that, over the years, Stefano and his business partner Nicolette have made Colibri House a home away from home. You have a juice maker, coffee pot, blender, pots and pans, wine opener, bottle opener, spatulas, potato masher, butcher knives, bowls, tupperware, gallons of water under the sink, a plastic basket with spices (some things I imagine that were left over from past guests. We left vinegar and olive oil!), servings bowls, wine glasses, coffee mugs, water glasses (I left beer mugs in the freezer for the lucky guests who stay there next!), a library of books and again, those "B" movies. There are towels, a clothes line and pins to hang them and clothes or bathing suits as you see fit. You will find two hammocks and hooks on the first verandah, two camping style chairs as well as plastic white chairs - which are a bit flimsy but do the job. There's also a wooden handmade table on the main floor patio of the upstairs suite.

There are two fans located in the loft for your comfort at night and if you're staying for a long period of time, there are dressers up there as well. Another neat feature about the house is the sliding storm windows - and there is something very zen about closing down and re-opening the house every evening and morning. All of the shutters to close, each of the many locks per door to fasten, all of the light switches to shut off - we left only the Christmas lights along the bottom of the loft floor on through the night. No matter what time of day, there was always a sense of comfortable peace in the home. All of the furniture is from Italy, including the light fixtures which required electricity converters to plug into the walls - we just really appreciated the care and attention that it takes to make Colibri House such a fantastic getaway.

Not only is the owner great and secondly, not only is the house great....but then incorporate the incredible location and you can't really beat the benefits of staying here at Colibri House. One night, we were drinking a bottle of wine on the upstairs verandah looking over to the $500 a night resort at the far northeast end of Placencia, thinking to ourselves that no matter the money we had - we would undoubtedly be happier exactly where we were. Nothing is more than a five or ten minute walk from Colibri House. Ming's supermarket is 3 minutes away (south on the main road) and directly afterwards begin bars, restaurants, pizza shops, Barefoot Bar (say hi to Elvin), and Omar's Seafood (say hi to Sheldon). 10 minutes from Colibri heading south down the main road is a large soccer field and here is also where diving tour shops also begin. Along this street is where you will also make all of your local friends.

The setting of the Colibri house can be romantic, fun, peaceful - and becomes a comfortable sanctuary the longer you stay. I would and will recommend this beautiful place to anyone I know that is interested in traveling to Belize. In fact, I hope that we can convince people to look into Belize just because of our stories and appreciation for Stefano and his hard work to establish such a brilliant place. We loved Colibri House and will absolutely return.

Room Tip: We stayed in the upstairs suite which separated the loft from the "living area" of the house. The views from both verandah's are amazing and you have the option of upper or lower when you stay upstairs. Gorgeous home and we felt privileged and proud to be staying there.