All reviewsmaya beachjaguar roomcreamsicledreamsicle houseking conchhibiscus roomjoya del markingfishhotel bistroowners johnfalse cayebeautiful beachbelize citycinnamon rollsbowling alleyfabulous foodprivate pool
Reviewed 5 February 2016 via mobile

We went Aug 2015 and stayed for a week and loved everything. I didn't want to leave. The staff is amazing and very helpful, they set us up two trips, one to the Myan Ruins and another for zip lining and cave tubing. Our guide was awesome. Oh and not to leave out the have they haver their own bistro, and the food is AMAZING!!! I can't wait to eat there again. I definitely recommend checking out Maya Beach Hotel.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Amanda C
Reviewed 5 February 2016

Apologies if this review is all over the place:
I came to Maya Beach Hotel because my main objective was to kick back and relax...boy did I get to do that!!!!

I stayed here in December in the Joya rental, right before their peak season. First in the backpacker room, but thanks to a special TripAdvisor coupon, I was able to upgrade to the upper suite for the remainder of my stay. The rentals are separate/detached from the "main" part of the hotel/restaurant, so bring a flashlight along when it's dark out. The Joya is two levels, each with its own patio -- the lower level is perfect for watching the sunrise, the upper is perfect for star gazing, which I did during a meteor shower -- AMAZING. No one was downstairs when I stayed so I got to do both!

Maya Beach Hotel is a fantastic property, feels like a private beach with hammocks, wooden beach chairs and recliners to lay out on, and it's own miniature pier, also with hammocks, a swing, some lights for early evening sitting. The pool is also nice with lots of recliners to lay out, and if it gets too hot, you can easily jump in the pool. The water is super clear, you can see small fish, I think I saw a frog swimming? along the shoreline, the sand is super soft.

The entire staff is spectacular, incredibly friendly. Ellen and John are the loveliest couple. Signs of a great owner is Ellen would make herself present in the restaurant during dinner, chatting with expat locals, hotel guests, other visitors. One morning she was Periscoping the sunrise. John even gave me a ride to Placencia Village so I wouldn't have to bother with the bus.

Ask them if they have any meal specials! I was having dinner on my last night and overheard the waiter describing the night's special to a customer. Everything I tried on the menu is fantastic, like really. I'm a super fan of the nut crusted fish, pork chop and ceviche if I had to choose. The belizean breakfast is the perfect dish to start your day. Definitely try their cinnamon rolls and spoil yourself with their dessert.

Some other notes:
There's usually one or two locals selling crafts. They're not pushy, they plant themselves by a palm tree and lay out their products.
Sunrise is amazing, especially when the water is super calm and flat.
If you're going to kayak to False Caye, go in the morning while the water is super calm and flat, otherwise it is a workout to get there and back with choppy water.
You'll see hermit crabs poke out of the sand sometimes
Take advantage of their happy hour!

I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo
3  Thank Curt V
Reviewed 30 January 2016

I recently stayed at Maya Beach Hotel after a friend who stayed there a couple years ago raved about it. When I finally decided to make a trip to Belize, Placencia was the place I was headed for some sun and relaxation. I can't say enough about this hotel. It was perfect for what I needed; on the beach, quiet, great food and such an amazing staff. The hotel is on a great beautiful stretch of beach that was quiet and peaceful. I ended up not leaving the hotel to much, since everything I needed was there. The bistro was great as well, with really good food and wine list which was a pleasant surprise. I ate all of my meals at the bistro everyday, there was really no need to go any place else, since I was staying at the one of the best places in Placencia.
I also want to mention that the staff was awesome too. Marlon, from first contact was super helpful with helping with travel plans, arranging a yoga practice for me at the hotel and in general just completely accommodating. Nikki, Oscar and Wilson made me great cocktails and Kenneth always had lovely suggestion from the menu. Thank you Maya Beach Hotel for a great and well needed vacation and hope to be back soon.

Stayed: January 2016
3  Thank Vanessa H
Reviewed 22 January 2016

My husband, son and I recently stayed at the Maya Beach Hotel. The room was nice, but the room location was less than ideal. While it fronted the beach, other hotel guests had to walk across our porch on their way to the beach or other rooms. This problem could be solved, by creating a direct path to the beach instead of routing people through the porch. Also, this room had a lot of windows, which is nice, but the location means you are on display and therefore end up closing most of the curtains. There is also the issue with the window in the shower not having any curtains...

The property itself is very nice. The front desk staff are extremely helpful and everyone we dealt with was pleasant. They have a wonderful happy hour menu and the food at the restaurant is some of the best we have had in Belize. They also have kayaks and paddle boards that you can use for free.

I would definitely stay here again, but in a different room.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
5  Thank Vengstrom
Reviewed 22 January 2016 via mobile

We stayed in the Jaguar room for 5 nights and it was awesome. The room itself was very comfortable with a sitting area and small refrigerator. Ceiling fans and open windows were all we needed to stay cool. The room is right on a great sandy beach with very calm water and shallow quite a way out. The food in the restaurant has been delicious no matter what the meal. We would definitely come back again

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple