All reviewsthe mexican restaurantsweet mamasdive shopcontinental breakfastmain restaurantdive mastermonkey river tourwhale sharksstaff was very friendly and helpfuldive tripfishbelize cityrainy seasonlaid backhowler monkeysfamily vacationocean view
Reviewed 26 January 2017

With just a little bit of attention to detail from management I could have upgraded my review a little. Robert's Grove is a bit dated. Not a problem. Although the water is gorgeous access to the same could be hazardous to your physical well-being. The beach is quite eroded with wire mesh protruding up through the sand. However, they do provide a covered wharf that extends about 100 yards out into the water. Most people who wanted to swim were using that. Breakfast was good and they will cook your eggs to order. However, if you want an Omelette the charge is $8.00 US. Our room took about 12 hours after our arrival to cool off. We spent a miserable first night because of the heat. A/C was cranked up all the way. The only time the room temp was really comfortable was early in the morning. I overheard another couple complaining about the temp in their room, as well. Internet in the Lobby is good, otherwise just so-so. Staff was over-all pleasant and helpful. The young lady that check us in and showed us to our room should probably be utilized in another capacity where contact with the public is not required. Like I said, attention to detail could have gotten a little better review. Next trip, I will probably try a different Hotel until I find that "Perfect Little Spot" in Placencia. I know it is out there!

Room Tip: Try a first floor room. They may be cooler.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jerry B
Reviewed 18 January 2017

My boyfriend and I went to RG for a romantic beach get-away and we were not disappointed. I planned the trip and my mission was to find something tropical and relaxing, a bit off the beaten path but clean and nice with local charm and flavor, an equipped kitchenette so we didn’t have to eat out all the time, access to fishing and snorkeling, etc., a view of the ocean, and beautiful grounds. This place checked all the boxes. When we arrived, the ac in our room was not working so they put us in another room on an upper floor for the first night with working ac. No big deal, and RG moved all of our stuff the next day to our ground floor ocean front 1 BR suite with a kitchenette, a large outdoor deck steps from the water, patio table and 4 chairs and a hammock (staying oceanfront with a kitchenette was well worth the extra cost, in our opinion). I love when reviewers detail their trips so here’s a little TMI on our week:

Our stay included a basic buffet breakfast every morning (extra charge for eggs, omelets, bacon, pancakes, etc.,) and we looked forward to the fresh baked bread (hand-sliced, to boot – it was so yummy toasted), pastries, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, coffee (really good), and juice every morning. There was usually some “bonus” item as we called it, like mini quiches or egg/meat filled pastries, but we didn’t mind if they were gone by the time we strolled over to breakfast (the down-side of sleeping in I guess:)).

We ate several times at the various restaurants on the property and enjoyed everything that was served to us. Was it 5 star dining? No, but it was really good and we recognized we were in Belize not some posh, over-priced restaurant in where ever. And the surroundings were beautiful, with tablecloths and cloth napkins, and the staff was friendly and helpful (was everything 100% spot on all the time? No, but then again neither am I).

We borrowed bikes from the resort (not brand new and they had a bit of rust (not unusual considering the salt air, but totally serviceable) and rode to some nearby towns a few times to buy some “provisions” for our room including rice, butter, snacks, fresh fruits and veggies, and a selection of adult beverages either from the local grocery stores or from roadside vendors (fruits and veggies). Everything was good and we had no gastro problems. We also rode into Placentia a few times to see the sites, grab a bite, and also bought some fish (which was frozen, but frozen very fresh) from some random woman some guys on the dock told us to go see (we cooked it in our kitchenette and it was great!).

For activities, we did a snorkel trip through RG which was very fun (we ended up seeing more nurse sharks than the divers who went diving to see nurse sharks) and fished 2 days with Wayne, the guide RG hooked us up with. Wayne is a local guide with his own boat who is very knowledgeable, professional, attentive, and worked hard to try to help us get a “grand slam.” Sadly, we could never land the elusive tarpon (who regularly mocked our meager casting skills) so 2 out of 3 ain’t bad. The good news is we caught some good sized snook which Wayne fileted for us and which we all enjoyed (we gave some to Wayne for his efforts) for a few meals. We spent the rest of the time at the resort just hanging out, or walking around the beautiful grounds, playing cards or just enjoying the beautiful ocean views.

As for our room, it was perfect for us. The bedroom/bath were very clean, nicely/brightly furnished and completely separated from the large well-furnished LR. The kitchenette, which was small (small stove, small refrigerator) and kind of on the dark side as it was tucked behind a half-wall, was probably the biggest disappointment in comparison to everything else, but still it had everything we needed to make some really good meals. And oh yeah, the ac unit started to malfunction during the last 2 days of our stay, but we’re kind of people who will tell someone about the problem, rely on them to fix it in a timely manner (realizing we are not the only resort guests), then just roll with it.

A word about the beach. It’s pretty and well-kept, but not great and not great for water sports. Although RG had folks out every day raking up copious amounts of seaweed, it seemed to be a never-ending problem (the beaches in town were a little better but more littered) and local word has it they are experiencing a lot of erosion so you will see the problems that entails. Also, because of where RG is located, the water tends to be rougher so the few sea kayakers we saw took off from the marina on the other side and paddled around there and occasionally ventured over to the beach side when the waves were calmer. With that said, the pools (3 as I recall) were awesome, with enough room for people to spread out, so we spent more time in that water.

All in all, we loved our week at RG – it was exactly what we wanted and needed - and would not hesitate to go back. If you want or are expecting the Four Seasons and all that that entails, Robert’s Grove is probably not for you. But if you want to relax at a beautiful resort in Belize, and experience a Belize that is off the beaten path, I/we highly suggest Robert’s Grove.

Room Tip: Go ocean front (not ocean view) if you can afford it.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Annie D
Reviewed 17 January 2017

We booked this hotel - room with extra sofa bed - and got a poor room no sofa bed (they claimed that a wooden chair with 2 pillow could become a sofa bed) in need of maintenance. The restaurant part is very pleasant with good food and an effort for good service. However we went back next day before leaving on our sailing boat for a "barbecue dinner" and had reserved for 8 people. They did nave a table for us all right on the beach, but the drinks were poor, the service chaotic, the food surprising (very good, but they kept making mistakes).

Room Tip: No tip, we had the wrong room, sorry (downgraded!)
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Eurtourist
Reviewed 13 January 2017 via mobile

This is one of our favorite places. The two bedroom on the beach is amazing. The place is rustic Caribbean so don't come expecting all new everything. The rustic feel is what makes it so great. Staff is super nice. Pools were clean. Food and drinks are cheap. The place is kept up. Breakfast that is included is good. The smoothies are sooooooo good!!! Highly recommended.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Michael K, Owner at Robert's Grove Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2017

Thank you for your review. We are constantly working to improve our resort and we appreciate all comments. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 12 January 2017

Me and my fiancé are super excited for our honeymoon! We have been searching hotels and resorts all day and Robert's Grove looked to be exactly what we are looking for! BUT, I called to get some more information... I couldn't quite hear very well when they picked up, so just to clarify I asked is this Robert's Grove? A pause... and a RUDE SIGH "yes Robert's Grove..."

That was a turn off enough. Not interested anymore. That is not how you interact with potential paying guests.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ohdangessica

Thank you for your comments although I don't know that one phone call qualifies for a review of a property. That being said, I apologize if your initial impression of Roberts Grove was less than stellar. I would appreciate another opportunity to speak with you so if you call again, please leave a message for Michael, one of the owners, and I will call you back immediately. Congratulations on your wedding!