All reviews the mexican restaurant sweet mamas dive shop continental breakfast main restaurant dive master monkey river tour whale sharks staff was very friendly and helpful dive trip fish belize city rainy season laid back howler monkeys family vacation ocean view
Reviewed 26 December 2016 via mobile

The hotel and grounds were nice and clean. All but one staff member was very helpful. But....... I felt isolated here. That may be what many want on vacation but we enjoy an adventure. My husband and I went Scuba diving 3 days and went on the Mayan ruins tour with Louis on the forth. When our excursions were done there was nothing to do at the hotel. It is too far to walk into town. We rented a golf cart for 4 hours on two occasions to go into town at $40 per trip. Then when we got back we were informed that we had to replace the gas which was never mentioned. When I rent a car in the US I have to pay for the gas so fine.....just tell me that when I am renting NOT upon my return and tell me where I can get gas.

All in all the place was nice. My only complaint was it wasn't for me. Then again I had a lot of fun in town but I don't think there was any place in town I would have liked to stay.

I will say.... Louis was great our entire visit. He gets

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Michael K, Owner at Robert's Grove Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2016

Thank you for your review of Roberts Grove. It seems as if the resort met your needs but you would've liked more options for activities at the hotel. I'd be happy to hear suggestions on activities we could add at the hotel if you have time. You could email info@robertsgrove.com with further comments and suggestions. I also appreciate your comment regarding the golf cart and request to pay for gas. I will follow up on that to make sure all guests are informed of the requirement to pay for gas. We hope to hear from you again and would like you to consider Belize and Roberts Grove in your future travels. Michael

Reviewed 18 December 2016

The place really is scenic, but I wished the water was clear blue, rather than dark blue like back at home (in CA). The rooms are nice, but don't leave the windows open or mosquitos come in. The resort does a great job of spraying for bugs because they leave you be at the many restaurant choices, pools, pier, etc. Slow town, if that's your style.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
RobertsgroveGM, General Manager at Robert's Grove Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the scenic view.

On behalf of the staff here at Robert's Grove, thank you for your business.

Reviewed 18 December 2016

We stayed four nights at Robert's Grove and it was fantastic. The staff was great and the villa we stayed in was super awesome. We spent every evening on the lanai sipping rum and enjoying the ocean that was right outside our door.

The villa was very clean and had every amenity. We didn't use the stove or oven, but having a fridge and some counter space was all we needed for our evenings of relaxation and rest after our daily adventures.

The hotel provided a free shuttle into town at 10:00 am and 3:00 pm and it cost a set $10 US to take a cab back to the resort. They provided bicycles, kayaks, and paddle boats for free. We loved the resort, the villa and the wonderful staff.

Room Tip: Explore the town and make use of the fridge to stock local produce and leftovers and rum.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and for rating us. We're happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at Robert's Grove. Glad you took full advantage of the view.

On behalf of the staff, thank you for your business. We hope to see you again on your next travel to Placencia.

Reviewed 1 December 2016

Robert's Grove is a lovely, rustic resort, right on the ocean. It has about 72 rooms spread among 8 or 9 two storey buildings scattered around lush, landscaped grounds, set well back from the road. The rooms are spacious and airy, with king, queen or twin beds, plenty of furniture such as couch, easy chair, tables with chairs, etc. Bathroom is also a good size with two sinks, toilet and shower. All the furniture and fixtures are at least 20 years old, they are well used but clean and in decent condition. Most, if not all rooms have a porch or balcony with ocean view. The beach is quite narrow and lined with palm trees. The sand has been eroding for many years and previous unsuccessful attempts to slow the process such as sandbags and plastic netting are decomposing right on the beach, are unsightly and may be a hazard to walking barefoot.

The staff keep the buildings and grounds immaculate. Every morning the entire beach and the gardens are raked clean. However, once you wonder off the property, the beach is littered with garbage. Long walks on the beach are not what you would expect of a Caribbean holiday.

The staff are truly excellent. On and off the resort, they are the most happy, friendly people I have found anywhere in the Caribbean. I even felt comfortable walking around Placencia village late at night, despite the extreme poverty that was visible all around.

Buffet breakfast, officially served from 7 to 10 AM, but was already available at 6:30 am and still there after 11 am, was much better than expected. Plentiful, with 4-5 varieties of fruits, several breads, plain, chocolate and ham croissants, muffins and several hot dish selections. Lunch and dinner were disappointing and expensive. Apart from the great breakfast every day, during our entire stay we only ate 2 meals in their restaurant. The “seaside” garden salad which listed all the ingredients did not have the supposed avocado either day. Similarly the Caesar salad which was supposed to have “home-made croutons” had nothing but lettuce. Neither salad seemed to have any dressing on them. When we asked for some they said it is already on the salads. So I asked them for more dressing and croutons which they later brought. The ceviche was tasteless until I added the juice of half a lime. The Caribbean fish dish was OK, nothing special, the conch fritters were very good. When the bill came, there was an extra US$3 charge with the word “frites”. When I asked about it they said it was for the croutons. I told them it was listed as part of the Caesar salad. Then they said it was for the extra salad dressing. When I told them there was little or no dressing on the salad and charging an extra US$3 for a Caesar salad dressing they are already charging US$9 was outrageous they removed the charge.

We had another dinner in their specialty organic restaurant that operates a few evenings a week through reservations. It was offering a gourmet 5 course taster’s menu paired with local drinks for US$35. One dish lacked flavour, another was way over salted, the fruity and mixed drinks were interesting, but the wines were sweet and lacked body. The dessert everyone enjoyed.

There is one other resort next door that has The Quarterdeck restaurant with much better food and less expensive. Other than that you need some form of transport to go anywhere. Placencia village is a 15 minute drive from the resort. The other great place to eat is Maya Beach Bistro, also 15 minutes in the other direction. Unless you have a car, you are pretty much stuck at the resort. You can walk to town in an hour, borrow a bicycle, probably a half hour ride, they rent golf carts, but none of these options would I consider after dark. The roads are narrow and twisty with no lighting at night.

We rented a car at Belize City International airport upon our arrival. I read about some of the less than stellar local rental outfits in Belize so I chose to go with Avis. The flight between Belize City and Placencia is US$125 - 135 per person each way, so for 2 people the return flight cost is close to $600. The Hyundai Tucson SUV rental for the 2 weeks was not much more than that, but it gave us the flexibility to travel around as we pleased and visit various attractions at our pace at a fraction of the cost. For example there are 2 sets of Mayan ruins about an hour drive that are very interesting to see. Entry fee is $5 per person and licensed local guides can be hired for about $10-$20. The Jaguar Preserve, also an hour away was beautiful. The local ranger spent a half hour talking to us about the park, the animals, the trails and said unless we wanted to find specific birds or plants, a guide was not necessary. We saw a Jaguarondi, a family of a dozen howler monkeys and countless beautiful birds, all for an entry fee of $5 per person. The tour companies charge from US$85 – 125 per person for these excursions, so I figured we saved US$500 on sightseeing by having our own car.

But what really made our stay was the entire staff at the resort. Anna on the front desk is delightful, Wilson and Charles in the restaurant are most attentive, always with a smile, never leaving your water glass empty. Wilfred on the waterfront always happy to rig up the sailboat, prepare the kayak and full of useful information, not only about the local waters, but also about the Belize people and culture in general. Even the maintenance staff will repair a loose board on the walkway within a day of mentioning it to them.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, but if you want wifi you want to be close to the lobby, rooms 1 - 9.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank PMAV67

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and share your experience. We're happy to hear that the staff made your stay even more enjoyable.

We shared your compliments with Anna, Wilson, Charles and Wilfred. They were happy and honored that you mentioned them by their names. Thank you for allowing me to big them up.

On behalf of the staff here at Robert's Grove, thank you for your business and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 28 November 2016 via mobile

Beautifully located resort!

Resort: The best about RG is location – the beach is perfect, no rocks, bar at the end of the pier, lots of fish. The internet was barely working by the windows facing the restaurant. The rooms are specious, we got room 22, was very big, had full dining set – not the kitchen, though, biggest pot is 2 quarts, no bowls. If I brought whole lobsters to boil – I wouldn’t be able to. Knife was dull, I went to the kitchen and asked them to sharpen it – they did, but not the curve of it. Front door was bent, had a gap of about a quarter inch, from which we probably got some mosquitoes, we were bitten a little. The hammock on the balcony was great. The bathroom would flush every other time, my daughter couldn’t do it, I had to follow her and fix it. It was raining and some walkways became really slippery, especially on 2nd floor that we were on, some boards were always wet and became REALLY REALLY slippery, as water stayed in them like in paddles and soften the wood to make it ice-like. I knew about it, I was walking very carefully and holding to the hand rails with both hands, but still slipped and sprained the ankle, which I broke 5 months earlier and it was in recovery mode – now I’m back to limping again!

Service: everyone was friendly and smiling and trying to help. When we arrived – we asked for the key for the safe, was told no keys available – we did have the lock, but it was locked. Came next day, still no key, asked not to clean the room – room was still cleaned! Came next day, asking for key – still not available, asked to stop cleaning the room again. They stopped cleaning – all the way – no one cleaned out room after that, 2 times cleaned when we asked not to, and after we got the lock – they stopped cleaning. So 2 out of 6 days. We had to ask for fresh towels. When we got the lock and the key, I told them I have lock in there already – said it before, and they gave me about 20 keys to try, I found the right one - #8 and opened the lock. They had keys at the beginning, but no one paid attention to me saying “I need a key to the safe, I have a lock already”.

Excursions: We scheduled a snorkeling trip with resort, that day started with rain, we were eating our breakfast, while the girl from front desk came over 20min before the time and said everyone is waiting on us right now. I asked if all people are there and she said “yes, sure”, so we cut our breakfast short, picked our stuff and headed there to find that other people didn’t show up and we are probably not going anywhere. I called the girl on front desk and asked where she got the info, she didn’t answer and I hung up. Power tripping?!? Later they agreed to go, but were going to the caye that we already went, and front desk had wrong info on the trip all together. We almost argued with people in dive shop, as we didn’t like laughing bird caye and wanted to go to outer reef as promised by front desk girl. At the end we were the only clients, so they agreed, but took us to another preserve and not on outer reef, but it was good anyway, Ed – old guy, diving instructor – was really good and patient with my 9yo daughter. Prices for trips are a bit higher, but they take half off for kids, while other places don’t and u don’t have to pay cab to go to the pier, so it evens out. Other trips were good too, but the drive was about 2 hours and on the way back driver turned on the radio to avoid talking at all. Oh, the food on snorkeling trips is provided by resort and it's sandwiches, while all other people on the same island eat bbq and other hot stuff. And on the land trip we ate in some restaurant and kids get half the portion of the adults - my daughter ate mine as hers wasn't enough and i went hungry - portions were tiny.

Restaurant: free breakfast in included, every other day is meatless. All basic food groups are covered, beans for protein when there is no meat. Fresh fruits were nice. “Ham” rolls were available, but they have 3 quarter-inch cubes of ham and handful of dough. Pastries are shaped as croissants, but with regular dough, not buttery at all, very heavy. Eggs are boiled, every other person is asking about scrambled – it is on paid menu – no one ordered any. Scrambled eggs are easier done in stove then boiled, americans don’t really eat boiled ones, we like eggs, but didn’t eat boiled ones. Prices are in US$, higher than anywhere I’ve seen, while menu is blunt and tasteless, no lobsters, first dinner I couldn’t find anything good and had to settle for 3 appetizers, my daughter got pasta and didn’t like it – we are used to really good food. Instead we were going next door to Laru Beya’s Quarterdeck restaurant, menu is awesome, 1.5 times cheaper and really tasty – world class, while RG restaurant has world class prices. Buffet is $35 per person and it’d be fine with me if it had enough different entries, but is very limited. We heard people from other resorts tried buffet and were complaining, even bbq one was overcooked, and they paid $160 for 4 adults and 2 kids under 5. Placencia’s places were good too, and much cheaper than in the resort. Even some staff people agreed that food could be better and they need new chef.

Travel: we booked transportation from the Belize City airport to RG resort and back using offered by resort “Discovery Expeditions Belize” and this company stole half day from us: when we arrived, the guy didn’t have us in the list and it took him over an hour to find out that we are going, THEN he said you have to stay in this line – line was over an hour long, we could’ve done it before, later he said he will take care of it himself, and he got us on the small plane which we had to wait for another 2 hours, he didn’t get us on the one leaving right away! He also booked our flight back 2 hours earlier than we could’ve – later flight was available – and said “it is already booked, you are in the system and it cannot be changed!”, so we lost about 5 hours waiting in the airport! We purposely booked early in flight and late out flights, paid extra money for it and it was for nothing.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback Anatoliy. On behalf of our entire staff at Robert’s Grove we apologize for the inconvenience caused. I assure you that we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

On behalf of the staff at Robert's Grove, thank you for your business.