Garden Cabanas
US$195
US$161
Orbitz.com
Savings alert! 27% below average rates

The price you found is 27% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$222/night.

Maya Beach Hotel(Placencia)(Great Value!)
US$142
US$117
Green Parrot Beach Houses(Placencia)(Great Value!)
US$121
US$107
  • Beachfront
Paradise Vacation Hotel(Placencia)(Great Value!)
US$68
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$76/night.

US$351
Turtle Inn(Placencia)
US$382
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Garden Cabanas are a group of seven cabanas located a block west of the main road in Placencia. There are four large and three small cabanas - I had one of the small cabanas for a month in Feb-March 2013. If you don't have high expectations, you won't be disappointed. The cabana I had was 12' x 18' in size with a 6' x 6' bathroom, and a kitchenette filling the other back corner. The furniture and kitchen equipment was simple and basic, but sufficient for the needs of one or two people. The blender was a bonus as I soon began making smoothies from the ample and inexpensive fruit that is available locally. An overhead fan would have been nice (provided in the larger cabanas) but the floor fan was sufficient during the time I was there (no a/c in any of the cabanas). There is no office at this location and the cabanas were self-serve in the sense that there was no housekeeping offered, just a change of bedding, towels, etc after a couple of weeks of being there. Tom, the site manager, was around often enough (and available easily enough) if there were any questions or problems, or if one needed more soap, toilet paper, or other items. The cabanas are close to the everything in the village and there are three good restaurants (Crowsnest, Galley, and Excellent Chinese) within a block. Both Wallens and Nang Kee supermarkets are within a 5 minute or so walk away. There are a couple of downsides with the location of the cabanas, one of which is that they are on the lee side of the peninsula. The breezes on the east (Caribbean) side tend to fade out by the time they get to this part of town, which makes for some calm, hot afternoons. The other is that they are located next to a fairly main road which kicks up a lot of dust when the road is dry, and also the usual noises of vehicles passing close by to where you are staying. One suggestion I have is that if you like to read at night, as I do, bring some type of plug-in or battery powered reading light as there are only overhead lights in the cabana. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for, and this was no exception. For 3 or 4 times the price of these units you could enjoy a better location, but not necessarily a better cabana - I checked several out. On my budget I was quite satisfied with the value I received and would consider staying here again on my next visit to Placencia.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank islandiver7
Reviewed 24 November 2012

My fiance and I had found this place after much looking and it looked pretty great on the map location wise. We contacted the property manager, Tom, and choose stay 2 months (Oct.15th-Dec.15th). This place is a great option for any one person or couple that is looking for a longer stay in the area since there is a kitchen, bathroom (only a shower in our cabana), plenty of space for clothes, fan and your own private porch. We even bought our own hammock and set it up right in front of our cabana (check the pictures).

I will admit I was a little nervous putting down a 50% deposit since I was still back in the United States but we used Western Union to provide Tom the money and it was problem free so you can do it as well with no worries. We had never visited the area before but it was worth the risk. We had a great time at the Cabanas.

What was really nice was when we had to leave the country 2 weeks early due to obligations back in the U.S. Garden Cabanas was more than willing to refund the portion of money for the dates we were not going to be present.Talk about good will and karma.

I know people always want to hear that the space is clean and nice and don't worry because it is clean and nice. It's also close to the beach, grocery stores and restaurants that accept credit cards and plenty of ATM's. I would definitely return back to the Cabanas when I return to Placencia because I will be returning.

Room Tip: Just be sure to ask exactly what you need to be comfortable like if you have special needs or what not.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Karimnadir
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We were concerned with the couple of posts that complained of the heat, but we were delightfully surprised with a newly painted cabana (the tin roof being painted is the key) that stayed cool all day. Granted it's not like you're in A/C, but with a fan keeping the air moving even I (who likes to keep my house at around 65 degrees) was pretty happy all day and slept fine at night. Stefano and Tom are easy to get a hold of with a quick email and they will do whatever they need to to make your stay delightful. The places were still under construction when we were there in July 2012, but they only worked on Sundays so we just left early and came back late when we wanted to get away from the noise that day. If you're looking for a nice roomy place to stay at a great price, look no further. The cabanas are a short walk to the beach, but removed enough to offer a getaway when you need it. Thanks Stefano and Tom!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nick S
AlaskanSnowbirds, Owner at Garden Cabanas, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

Thank you Nick for your welcomed review of our Cabanas. Stefano and Tom and the crew have worked very hard these last months to remodel and refresh the property. I am so glad that it is appreciated. It is also good to know that the new color on the roof has helped so much. We are also in the process of slowly adding AC to the larger cabanas for these very hot summer months. We hope to see you back again when you re-visit sunny Belize.

Reviewed 27 May 2012

While Garden Cabanas was cheap and decently sized, there is no air conditioning, so the place was hot, 24 hours a day. Impossibly to cool down in here during the hot day, and difficult to sleep in. Unfortunately we had horrible "neighbors" staying next to us, and the cabana offers no noise protection either (there are no glass windows, only screens), so we were kept up nearly every night. The place wasn't very clean, and perhaps worst of all there is no office to go speak to anyone about our complaints. And once we saw cockroaches going up and down our shower drain, it was time for us to leave!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tyler B

We are very sorry that your stay at the Cabanas was not as you had anticipated. We appreciate your candid review and as you can see from later reviews we have worked to address the issue of the heat. The foliage on the grounds has been cut back drastically to take advantage of the Caribbean breezes. Additionally the cabanas have all been re-painted and this includes a new, lighter roof color. We are also in the process of adding AC a little at a time to the larger cabanas. These two things will make them much more comfortable in the summer months. I hope that next time you are looking for a nice cabana on a budget that you will give Garden Cabanas another try.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

i stayed in the small cabana. i paid only 25US/night witch is very cheap for placencia. the cabana had everything i needed kitchen, hot shower, wifi and tv. the cabana seamed to be in bad shape and it could real need a new coat of paint, hay i am not complaining, you pay what you get. i have to agree with the comment below the lack of an office makes things complicated, i would have to wait until tom came by, not that he did a bad job and you can not expect from him to be chained to the cabana until all my needs are met. all in all the garden cabanas was an awesome place for me. i would definitely recommend it to any other budget traveller.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Garden Cabanas. I agree completely that the small cabanas needed some some attention. They are the oldest of the Cabanas and had been neglected for some time. We, as newer owners are trying to gradually work our way through the property and make the required changes. We have in the last two months cleared out much of the overgrown foliage to allow more air movement in the property. All of the cabanas have a fresh new coat of paint and the smaller cabanas have new concrete work around the porches and stairs. We also will have AC in at least one of the larger cabanas very soon and hope to have more completed within the next few months. We hope to see you again on a return trip to Placencia.