All reviews budget hotel sister hotel free continental breakfast bars and restaurants burns avenue room with air conditioning perfect location small bathroom local fruit tour companies ko ox han nah hot shower cable tv king bed laundry service stayed here for nights cahal pech
Reviewed 20 July 2009

Hotel Venus is an amazing place for many reasons.

-The staff are wonderful-very friendly, very helpful, very welcoming
-The rooms are affordable and clean
-The balcony is decent
-They did our laundry
-They let us take calls
-They held our bags for us over two days when we went to Guatemala
-They reduced the rate for the rooms as we stayed there for 10 days
-They us keep food in their fridge-AC, cable tv, hot showers
-not one bug was scene probably because of all the geckos in the halls (none in rooms)

The hotel staff was very accommodating. The rooms aren't spectacular but they are clean and affordable. I stayed there for 14 nights in total and it became like home. The owner is a sweet older lady and she treated me like a grandchild. She told me all about her family history and the hotel. This hotel is one of a kind. I doubt I'l have this type of experience again. When I left, I got them a card to thank them for all that they did for me during my stay,

*I did see a few rooms however that I would not have stayed in. Stay on the floor where the front desk is. Both my rooms on that floor were great. The rooms on the upper floors were much smaller and dingier looking.*

-go to Paks for tours-ATM is a must do
-go to Serendib for dinner. Best food in town and really reasonable
-go to Fiya Wata for nightlife
*Hidden-ask around town for the internet place in the mall. it is much cheaper. The South Indian place beside the mall is amazing too.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Emlec
Reviewed 17 April 2009

Stayed here last year and did not hesitate to stay here again, but checked out at least seven other hotels on Burns Ave. this time, out of curiosity, no comparison. We layed-out at the Macal river this trip and the Venus did our laundry. Only $15 BZ., and we had alot. No coffee in house this time, but got it 30 ft. away at Greedy's, directly across the street. Wonderful staff, stay here.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank uswaorganizer
Reviewed 3 January 2009

The Venus Hotel can be a nice economical stay or a complete bummer, depending on which room you end with. This will explain the big discrepancy between the above reviews (all of which are accurate). For our first two nights we were put into a room on the second (third in US) floor (i.e. the floor above the reception floor) which was small and doss-house standard, at best. Plus it was in the very centre of the building with no window to the outside and so VERY noisy at all times of the night (which is to be expected in San Ignacio). One 'wall' was in fact cardboard, and the only way we could sleep was by trying to decipher the Italian spoken by our neighbours on the other side of the card wall !
Then on the first day our beds were not made. Dismayed by all this, we then requested a room with real walls and a real window. We were shown three others on both floors which ALL had cardboard walls, and then after much reluctance by the concierge were shown an OK room with real walls on all four sides on the reception floor facing the back — bliss in comparison ! But of course we were charged extra for the a/c which was totally ineffective.
The moral: stay here only if you like playing room roulette !

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank PearlyGates_9
Reviewed 2 December 2008

The nicest place we stayed in Belize. We were trying to stay on a tight budget on our stay in Belize, but we wanted something clean, convenient, and with some style. This place fit the bill and then some.

• Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed 17 July 2008

The room was fine, only the shower/toilet/sink was in the corner of the room and though it had a wall round, it didn't go to the ceiling and had western style bar swinging doors. All in all the bathroom wasn't that private so be prepared to share all with your room mate!
Also our room door didn't feel that secure, wouldn't take much for the door to just swing open.
Was a bit of a strange place, it appeared that some of the people in other rooms were long term guests and I can't say they were the most desirable neighbours.
On the positive the location was great, easy access to everything.

• Stayed: April 2008