“Quiet rooms and friendly staff”
Review of Rainbow Hotel

Rainbow Hotel
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Reviewed 14 October 2012

I just got back from staying 2 nights at this hotel and it was the best 2 nights of sleep I had during my 8 day trip to the area. I agree with most of the other posters here in the fact that the hotel rooms are very nice and the service was fantastic, too. I do disagree with one of the earlier posts, however.

I found that the free wireless internet was best while sitting in one of the chairs outside in front of rooms 101 and 109. As long as I was sitting in a chair outside of these rooms I did not have any problems. The signal strength goes down considerably beyond that. I even got internet service while sitting in front of rooms 102 & 108, too.The bandwidth was much lower, though.

Regardless, it beats paying for an internet cafe every time you want to access the internet for something and you DO NOT have to sit in the front office to access the internet as an earlier poster said!

I stayed in room 107 on the second floor. The rooms are large and the beds are extremely comfortable, too. I enjoyed the quietness of the rooms and the refrigerator/microwave came in handy during my stay as well. The a/c worked very well and there were a lot of tv channels available for watching during my down time, too. I especially like the deadbolt lock on the door. The only drawback with that, though, is you have to lock the door with the key from the inside at night.

In the case of an emergency a person would have to unlock the door with the key to exit the room unless they were to kick out one of the front windows. I didn't have any complaints with the hotel service at all. The owner, Ernie, even took me to the airport at no charge on his golf cart when I had to fly home. I will definitely stay there again on my next visit and recommend it to others as well.

Mayaruinsonly
Destination Expert - Guatemala

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank mayaruinsonly

Reviewed 2 September 2012

We stayed at the hotel in the off-peak season as Caye Caulker was a last minute end of summer trip. The hotel recently underwent an upgrade with a remodel, and it was very nice. The front desk arranged a snorkel tour for us, as well as providing recommendations for food that were more local in nature, as opposed to the tourist places. We had a fantastic time and will return. The hotel is located across from the water taxi, so you don't even have to walk far once you arrive. The bars and restaurants are all close by, and The Split is at the end of the street. very convenient.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor have a better view of the beach and sea area.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael H
Reviewed 19 May 2012

While the bright exterior and central location of Rainbow is initially impressive, you will regret here. The Rainbow Hotel has the worst customer service I have ever encountered. The management's sole interest is on making a profit regardless of their customers.

In addition to the horrible customer service, the recently remodeled rooms try to disguise inadequate facilities. For example, after taking a shower, the drains would back up with sewage creating the most disgusting smell that permeated the entire room for the duration of our stay. Hotel management were unwilling to accommodate or acknowledge any problems saying they were "a family run business in a developing country." While advertising free internet, they neglect to tell you that it must be accessed in the office due to a weak signal.

For the same price, there are much better choices for accommodations on the island. We wished we would have stayed at one of the other (Sea Dream hotel or one of the other many places).

Room Tip: The rooms we saw on the top floor smelled like sewer, which permeated the entire room. Not sure if t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We stayed at the rainbow hotel for a long weekend in February after we had heard that they just renovated.
We're very impressed. Through the renovation, the rainbow catapulted itself in the top range of Caye Caulker.

When we got there, we were a bit taken aback by the outside. Though it did get a nice new paint job, it still looks like a Hotel (as opposed to the beach resorts). But: Don't judge a book by it's cover. It is definately worth checking out the rooms from the inside.

Location, location, location

The rainbow is located about as central as it gets on the main beach strip. Restaurants, Bars and Night Clubs are close enough to easily walk there (even in midday sun) but far enough so that we had no trouble sleeping.

High class rooms

We've stayed in Caye Caulker a bunch of times before and are used to a more pragmatic, rustic set up of hotel rooms. Rainbow just redid their rooms with high class beds, new bathroom installations, a sort of open bar half kitchen, nice floors. Felt more like a Radisson or a Hilton in Europe than a Hotel on the beach strip of Caye Caulker.

But ... it's not a beach resort.

Some resorts on Caye Caulker are right on the beach and it looks like they have a private beach. Fact is (like throughout most of the Caribbean) that nobody can claim private beach access. So you can go anywhere and use any pier to go swimming. Which we did without a problem. There's a very nice dock just opposite of the main entrance of rainbow.

We liked the rooms and service very much - Rainbow is a lot of bang for the buck, even in high tourist season.

Room Tip: Ask for the newly renovated rooms on the second floor!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelinkraut
Reviewed 31 March 2012

The staff was very friendly and had a warm welcome. The amenities were excellent. The room was very clean and the we enjoyed the nice beachfront view. The room had soft beds, mini kitchen, air-condition etc that made our stay very comfortable. Most of the time Mike and I stayed indoor.

Room Tip: Select a room on the second floor so you can enjoy the view rising sun.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple