We stayed at Sunbreeze Suites for our honeymoon January 2012. We had booked the trip through a local travel agent here in AZ. She had suggested Victoria House, which looked amazing, but was booked. By the end of the trip, we were thrilled it had turned out that way!
From the street, Sunbreeze Suites looks....dumpy. Don't be fooled. San Pedro is a very small town and the salt air wears things down quickly, but don't judge this book by it's cover! We walked through the doors and saw a breezeway that looked out on to a patio towards the ocean. It was beautiful. After checking in, we climbed the 3 stories to our room. What greeted us on the other side of the door was a very nice suite. The bathroom and bedroom were standard-no tub, average-sized sink, small closet with hangers and drawers, a queen-sized bed. The bedroom window looked out to the open-air hallway and was tinted (very nice!) and had heavy shades. The bed was no tempur-pedic but was good. The kitchen area was very nice. We had a microwave, studio-sized fridge, blender, toaster, dishes, pots and pans, silverware, cutting board, etc. We found a local grocery store on the middle street a few blocks south and bought a few provisions-local eggs, local milk, local sausage, local tortillas,and kraft cheese. We had breakfast in the room every morning. The blender came in very handy for making smoothies with fresh local fruit, milk (considered almost a delicacy on the island) and some local white rum! We had a small table with 4 chairs, a couch and a chair. The TV had many channels, a lot of which were right out of NYC.
The big winner was the balcony. All 27 rooms of the hotel face the water. We had an "ocean view" room versus an ocean front room. We were NOT disappointed. From our vantage point we could see some of the other rooms, the pool, part of the restaurant, part of the beach and the dock. There is what looks like a hot tub attached to the pool. It is NOT heated. The water simply cycles from the pool to this small area and back again. We did not swim in the pool (who wants a pool when the Atlantic is mere feet away?).
The restaurant is called Mojito's. Every day they do a different 2 for 1 mojito special. If you want your mojito done right, have Robert make it. The cherry was my personal favorite. We had just one meal here, as there are so many amazing places to eat in San Pedro a week is not nearly long enough to eat at them all! The food at Mojito's was good, but not the best meal we had.
The hotel is right in the heart of town. A 10 minute walk south finds you almost to the airport. A 10 minute walk north and you're at the bridge. A 4-5 minute walk west gets you to the lagoon side. From our room and from Mojito's we were able to watch kids walking along the beach to school in the morning, local women carrying their blankets and purses for sale, boats heading out for a day of fishing, snorkeling, or scuba diving, and fisherman cleaning and preparing their day;s catch, right on the dock. Buy Mario or Ellis a beer and ask about a day trip with them. What an experience!
The staff at the hotel was unBELIZEable as they say in San Pedro. They knew us by first name, held our valuables in the office safe without a problem, and were the most accommodating folks we have ever met. We believe some of this stems from the fact that this tiny, fairly poor former fishing community relies quite heavily on tourism these days, but there's a genuineness to everyone's tone and facial expression that can't be faked. They even mailed a post card for me, after I realized the post office is closed on Saturdays, the day we left (I left more than the cost of the stamp, of course). Every where we went in San Pedro, we never heard the word no.
Every morning, we saw one employee sweeping the sand off the pool area and the rest of the patio. Everything was clean. We saw no bugs.
If you are looking for a beachfront hotel with an option to eat in, a place that's in the heart of the action but quiet and safe at night, where you feel at home the minute you arrive, this is where you want to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SunBreeze Suites is situated in the laid back beach town of San Pedro, on the popular Ambergris Caye. At our front door, the town welcomes you to join in the fun, and out our back door, you are just a few steps from the Caribbean Sea and the largest Barrier Reef in the Western Hemisphere (a UNESCO world heritage site). SunBreeze Suites is comprised of twenty comfortable one bedroom vacation suites overlooking the beautiful Caribbean Sea. Each Suite comes with a private balcony from where you can enjoy breathtaking sunrises, refreshing cool sea-breezes and romantic moonlight nights. We offer complimentary WiFi to keep you connected with your loved ones. It is within walking distance to grocery stores, entertainment centers, local and gourmet restaurants, banks, fruit shops, caffes, and Belizean art galleries. This San Pedro Hotel offers an open air-beach front restaurant & bar, pool, dock, and Free Wi-Fi in-suites and common areas. Jambel Jerk Pit Restaurant & Bar offers a fusion of Belize's signature flavours with the perfect blend of Jamaican Cuisine. Carefully selected spices are utilized which are sure to tantalize your taste, while the exceptional aroma awakes you! Open for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm daily). Offering "All you can eat buffet on Wednesday with live music from 6:00 pm to 9:30pm and Happy hour on Fridays from 5:00pm to 9:00pm. " Belize Dive Connection" a well known and respected dive operation for over 15 years now, just an 8 minute stroll away, provides The SunBreeze Suites' guests with safe and professional diving. Diving, Snorkeling, Beach Picnics, and/or Fishing trips are just a few of the many tours available from this beachfront hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your SunBreeze Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunbreeze Hotel San Pedro
- Sunbreeze Resort San Pedro
- SunBreeze Suites Belize/San Pedro