See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 June 2015

The resort is located on its own private island and is very picturesque. There were many units in various stages of construction at the time of our visit but only five units were completed and only three occupied during our stay. Because of the small number of people that it serviced, the restaurant had very limited selections and the food was not fresh so we chose to eat and many of the superior restaurants on the mainland which required transportation by watertaxi. Although we were told transportation included, it was not, and were charged $25 per person ($100 for a family of four) each way every time we left the island which amounted to over $1200 during our stay. Although the staff was friendly, most were inexperienced and the service was not up to the level one would expect at what is advertised as a five-star resort. The fitness center was nothing more that a room with free weights and limited execise equipment and we had to request water and towels. There was a service charge for all activities booked by the resort which were not disclosed until the bill was presented at the end of our stay. Following my return from our trip, I voiced my concerns to the booking agent who promised to compensate me for the excessive charges but never delivered.

Room Tip: Pick a different resort
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family
12  Thank RIDentist
Reviewed 27 April 2015

We loved our stay! A private island with our own chef, concierge, and masseuse focused on making our trip an experience of a lifetime. Only 4 minutes from downtown San Pedro by private boat ride. Experienced Incrediable meals, snorkeling and fishing trips. The Star Island Villas are very comfortable, clean and private. The restaurant was excellent and provided extraordinary service. The pools, beach and grounds were beautiful and clean. We had a wonderful vacation that was both active and relaxing! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Randy D
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My gf and I stayed at Mayan Islands resort back in 2012 when it was still being built. Even then you could just tell that the quality of the resort was going to be top notch, and the service would be outstanding... and it was! Everyone was so friendly and helpful. Every meal was top notch, especially the steak and lobster, yum! Even though it's only one mile from San Pedro, it feels like a million miles away from everything, which adds to the tranquility. I would unreservedly recommend it to anyone, and I look forward to going back in the near future!

Room Tip: Nothing to choose from, they are all great!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank JasonStoll
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Mayan island is a great experience for anyone, The Best way to relax and feel like you are on your own private Island. The staff is great! The rooms are at the highest quality of workmanship, the linen on the beds makes sleeping at its best !!! Can't wait to return

Room Tip: Book as soon as possible!!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Tonyr40
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Back in October of 2013, I traveled to Belize for the first time, landing in San Pedro, Belize’s most lively and interesting city. I quickly discovered a land and country I knew very little about prior to this trip with warm, helpful and friendly, English-speaking, people throughout San Pedro. Lovely, quaint shops filled with local curios and art abound and the golf carts (no cars) were always available to give a lift to wherever you might want to go. The water taxi to whisk you to the island resort was conveniently close by and provided a short 4-minute hop, skip and jump ride to the island where waiting staff greeted and welcomed us.

The actual accommodations were as nice as any I’ve stayed in anywhere. I was ushered to a villa suite which was spacious and nicely appointed with local sculptures and paintings. The furniture was first class and hewn by the builder from local, authentic Belizean tree wood. The feeling was special indeed. Everything else within the villa was first class and modern. The best part was to sit out on the front deck of the villa in the quiet of the early evening after the sun had gone down - gazing out into space beyond distant islands and sipping on a nice piña colada – the ultimate in relaxation and pleasure.

Every meal was prepared by a gourmet chef who prepared a first-class selection of main-meal offerings trimmed with many types of local touches… and always fresh fruit. Brenda, the Service Manager, was attentive and made all the arrangements for local snorkeling and swimming-with-the-sharks… and just about anything else that is available in terms of outside on-the-water activity. This place – the Mayan Islands Resort – is definitely a “thumbs up” experience, one which is likely to bring me back many more times in the future and I recommend it without reservation for anyone who desires a very, very nice place to get away to for a few days or a week or more.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends