“Clearly Perfect for Me (and my kids)”

and 1 more site!
Pelican Reef Villas Resort
Ranked #4 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
new york
“Clearly Perfect for Me (and my kids)”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Pelican reef has the perfect mix of luxury & self-service, roughing it & luxury.

We went to San Pedro after 4 days in Northern Guatemala and then 2 days in the jungle in Belize. My wife and I were traveling with our two sons (ages 6 and 9). We arrived about 2 hours early b/c TropicAir is way too efficient. So we caught Terry (the hotel manager) off guard she was really apologetic that she was not prepared to give us a proper welcome and have our names on the welcome board and have the staff prepared to meet us. But they grabbed our bags and she laughed and asked for a do our and the staff came out and introduced themselves and they had our name on the welcome board. We all got a kick out of it as they served us rum punch.

The resort has approx 24 rooms, but some are lived in my the owners. So it is an intimate experience. The beach is a nice hard sand beach. there is grass in the water...You don't come to Belize for the beach (hit up Saint Martin if you want a nice beach).

the kayaks and bicycles and other stuff if included. Just grab a bike or a kayak and go...no charge. NO problem.

The location is awesome. Far enough out of town to be quiet, but close enought to be ther in 5 minutes on a bike or golf cart (which they can arrange for you to rent).

The dock is a great pickup point for daily activities. Our kids were snorklers. The marine reserve is literally 4 minutes by boat. (We saw sharks, rays, morays, turtles, and tons of small aquatics - Seafarious tours rocks!)

The rooms are top notch..perfect. But beware they do have rooms on the ground floor. I would never stay in a room on the ground floor...so if this is also a problem for you then be sure to specify.

The only complaint I would have is that the breakfast and lunch service is too slow. I don't have the time for an hour lunch or breakfast...

I heard lots of people saying things like "Oh I hear it is dangerous" in Belize r something like that. We felt much safer in San Pedro then we ever felt traveling with our kids in most parts of the USA.

Room Tip: Go for a room above the ground floor...unless you like the ground floor and want your "balcony...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank corpuskungfu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Evergreen, Colorado
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Unit # 7 is the best available. First floor with incredible non-obstructed views from the patio, living room and bedroom. View of the pool area from the second bedroom. Long dock views, absolutely breathtaking. I walked the beach for 3 miles towards town. This is by far the best location.
Quiet, clean, safe and secluded. The pool area is in a protected courtyard. Much more private than most other places I saw. No bothersome vendors.
The staff is tremendous! Always available, always willing to assist. Friendly.

Room Tip: Make sure if you are looking for views that palm trees or cabanas are not in the way!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom K
New Jersey
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Visited PRV March 2 thru March 7 with my husband. Upon arriving at the PRV we were instantly greeted by Terry and Ruth (both are most gracious and accommodating). Ruth immediately whipped up 2 Rum Punches to welcome us and Terry had our bags taken to the room immediately. The grounds and villa were beautiful and clean. We stayed in Villa #10 facing the ocean. We rented a golf cart for our stay (a must) and it was delivered to the villas for our use. Getting around the island is either by golf cart or cab. In the end I'm sure the golf cart ended up being cheaper that the cabs. Terry booked a reef fishing trip with Mr. Ramon for us and we caught a ton of fish, which we brought back to PRV and they cooked it up for lunch for us. Best fresh fish ever!! Terry also booked a massage for us in our villa. That was amazing and relaxing. Terry, Ruth, and Karol were all very dedicated to making sure we were taken care of and happy at all times. My husband and I would visit with Ruth in the evening (she's tends the pool bar) and we really enjoyed the conversations we had with her. We learned a lot about her culture and life and I hope she learned about ours as well. I don't have anything negative to say about this resort. My husband and I will definitely be going back (and will probably bring our adult sons back with us). It was a very relaxing and romantic vacation. We did see other places that were mentioned here on trip advisor, but I feel PRV was by far superior to the places we did see.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank juls367
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Our family of 4 plus my daughter's friend just returned from our Spring Break trip in San Pedro. We did not want to leave. The staff at Pelican Reef treated us like family and took care of every detail of our vacation. Ruth, Harvey, Karol, and Terri brought smiles to our faces daily and we will always remember them. The breakfast was absolutely delicious, the pool was beyond refreshing, and the beach is breathtaking. Our villa was spacious, modern, and had a beautiful view. PRV staff made reservations for all of our meals and we cleaned our plates every time. A trip here can be as relaxing or as adventurous as you want. Terri and Karol were huge helps in planning our activities such as snorkeling and scuba diving. We loved being able to use the free kayaks and free bikes whenever we wanted. Our family would go back to Pelican Reef right now if we had the opportunity.

Room Tip: Even our pool view room gave a glimpse of the ocean.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank johnwward
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 19 March 2012

PRV exceeded our expectations in every aspect. From booking with Karol to our greeting by Terry and our world famous Rum Pa Pa Punches from Ruth, everything was awesome. One of the ground crew, Santos, was even on call to fetch us a fresh coconut if we wanted one. They immediately made us feel like we were home and part of their family.

The location was fabulous as well. The pictures actually don't do it justice, it was simply sublime with the stunning views of the sea, their pier and their private beach. PRV was located about 2 miles south of San Pedro, which I actually enjoyed because it was far enough away to feel secluded but not too far that it would require a boat taxi to get into town. It was not difficult to get on a free bike or rent a golf cart to get into town.

The pictures of the rooms are exactly what you would encounter. The finishes are quite nice and there is definitely plenty of space for two couples or a family. We stayed in the 2 bedroom sea view and it was so lovely to wake up every morning to the breathtaking view.

Breakfast was included for us and Miss Erma was a wonderful cook, whipping up both American and Belizean dishes. We were able to eat our breakfast in our room if we wanted or by the pool/bar area.

Lastly, like I mentioned before we felt like we were family. I truly mean it. My husband and I did not want to leave not just because we were on vacation but because we were leaving our friends. They made our trip and bottom line we are already planning for our next trip there.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple