All reviews hot tub tropical villa in town golf cart an adventure slice of paradise ambergris caye spa services belize city bug spray nurse sharks recommend this resort miles north of san pedro salt water boat hammocks island
Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

Before choosing El Secreto I would like you to think about several statements below- if you agree with them then go ahead and book a place costing you 400 USD per night - if not (my recommendation) go somewhere else!

1. “I really don’t mind paying 400 USD per night and overpaying for bad food” - how many times have you spent 400 USD per night? How often have you paid 25 USD for a bad salad? The value for money is simply outrageous- think about the average income for people in Belize and what it charges you for a day... they capitalise that you need to eat there and the choices are unbelievable expensive and bad (except for the guacamole)

2. “I don’t mind bad smell- I actually like the idea of needing to have a congested nose to stand the smell” - the smell offered because of the brown pleasure is the worst we have ever experienced! I literally threw up twice because it was so unbearable

3. “I don’t like a Blue Ocean view as promised on pictures” - the team clearly didn’t care to clean up the beach for several days which created the pictures attached and a beach which is far from being what you were promised

4. “Good Service is overrated and I like to spend my days chasing after hotel managers” - we spent half of our time chasing someone who felt responsible to get a refund on our stay. Manager is in Mexico and no one in the hotel is capable of making management decisions. Service staff quiet frankly felt like they were on a rehab vacation.

At the end we shortened our stay and got some refund on our stay - we would never come here again because of the hassle and outrageous pricing! We can go on about the experience but we just want to forget about it and move on!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
9  Thank JuliaD4194
Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

We stayed at El Secreto as the first of three resorts across Belize. We chose it for the reviews, the lodging and the secluded atmosphere it promised. We were not disappointed and actually the resort was beyond our expectations.
The rooms are wonderful in every way, we received a kind upgrade to an even larger seafront villa which was gorgeous. The staff is superb, extremely kind and efficient and always eager to please and help — all at the same very high level. Because it is an isolated resort we had all meals here for 3 days breakfast a snack and dinner and we were always delighted. And contrary to most reviews we saw no sign of mosquitoes , probable because it was Windy. The snorkeling tour was amazing, a teu Highlight of our Belize holiday.
The only dissapointment was the sea - one expects a beautiful Caribbean azure sea but it was brown, opaque and full of sargassus. The Staff was very busy cleaning the Beach but it kept coming ashore over and over ... so we missed swimming at the beach and gazing at a beautiful sea which for us is an important part of our escapes. We found this to be a problem afecting all Belize coast and other Caribe destinations in the last years with some frequency and the issue is not understood or predictable. Still I recomend to evalúate the status and odds of this problem as possible when you decide on a beach holiday in Belize. But if you do decide Belize —- El Secreto is a superb choice to get away from it all in utmost comfort.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank joao_ana
Reviewed 23 February 2018 via mobile

After spending multiple days in the jungle we were so excited to come to this hotel And be pampered. When we arrived they charge you 25 US dollars per person each way just to get to their hotel. First piece of advice is...this is a rip off. You can use the water taxi that is about 10 pp that is right next to the ferry. We arrived and their boat did not work so they had to pay someone else to take us. We got to the hotel and it was gorgeous and the food was good. You can tell thought that things were once great there but maybe on the down hill. Problems we had 1) very far away from everything. Literally there is nothing to do there. 2 diff couples pulled us aside there and basically told us how to get out of there If we needed to. 2) our room smelt so bad it woke me up in the middle of the night. In the morning I woke up to a cockroach on the nightstand 3) ran out of water in the morning and when my husband asked about it...it was like a sorry Im not sorry. In the end it was fixed. 4) they add a 10% gratuity on each bill. Which is fine but when asked is this was supposed to be their tip i was told that the money was used to pay for the gardener and the cleaning ladies and that the servers don’t get any of it. So it is expected to tip more overall this hotel is not worth the money. Go stay at matachica. The service is better and the room doesn’t smell like pee.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kimmygross
Reviewed 4 February 2018

This tiny resort (13 villas) is the perfect place to get away from it all. Beautiful villas, each with a private hot tub are in an idyllic setting - either on the beach or (like ours) around a lagoon. Since it is 30 min from San Pedro by boat (45 by golf cart), all activities require long rides. I suggest you have your adventures first, in Belize City or San Pedro, then come here to recover and relax. Staff is very attentive, and Estell, the manager is a gem. One note: all your meals will probably be in the restaurant, which is excellent, but a bit pricey.

Stayed: January 2018
Reviewed 2 February 2018

It truly is a 5/5 resort! It is very secluded, and makes you feel like you have the resort all to yourself. The staff does do a great job at maintaining it and making sure you have everything you need. Estell, the manager, is great and very helpful! She replied to all of my emails/questions within minutes which was very nice. Really don't understand these negative reviews: yes mosquitoes are everywhere, but do you realize you are in Belize? Even if they wanted to, they cannot control it. It's something everyone should be aware of and not blame the resort for it. The one thing they can improve on is restaurant service. We had 5 meals there throughout our stay, and every time we would only see our server to take our order and the bring it. Maybe it's the American part in us, but I would have appreciated if someone came up asked if we want more water, if we liked our food etc. Just working on being more personable would be great! Highly recommend this resort!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple