All reviews monkey business golf cart ceviche town centre the staff was friendly and helpful ambergris caye beach chairs taxi ride on premises ocean view downtown san pedro sea grass explore the island great trip scuba diving full kitchen fish
Reviewed 20 February 2018 via mobile

Standard hotel with the facillities you need. Needs a bit of an update. Average breakfast and restaurant. Unstable wifi in the room, but works well at the beach and pool areas. A bit of a walk to San Pedro (ca. 3 km). Not many dinner options in the area except for the hotel's own restaurant.

Stayed: February 2018
2  Thank Majkenpetersen
Reviewed 16 January 2018

I booked two rooms for my daughter and myself for one week Jan 2018 while my daughter was getting scuba certified at ProDive, which is a 10 min walk down the beach at the Banyan Bay. Rooms were ample, clean and comfortable. Hot water, a problem I had read about in San Pedro being an issue, was luke warm or cold 2 times out of 10 (we showered morning and night). Breakfast is included, sufficient yet basic and can get monotonous, but you can pay for extras; the banana pancakes were great at 10 BZ$. Coffee is strong and good and juices are freshly made with purified water (always ask for this, not tap, water everywhere). We ate dinner at the restaurant only once. Their prices are a little higher than many places in town. We lunched and dined a number of times at the nearby Banyan Bay for less money in a pleasant outdoor restaurant. I recommend Banana Beach but don't walk south of the hotel at night, stay on the main street always and travel by taxi if you can, though you might wait 10-15 min for one to come by. Banyan Bay suites in low season are the same as 2 rooms at the Banana beach and I would have booked there had I read their rates right.

Room Tip: There are rooms closer to the beach and other closer to the road.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank luisaccounts
Reviewed 7 January 2018

We loved this place! I see a lot of negative reviews for Banana Beach Resort. Do you people realize that Belize is a developing country? You're not going to be staying at the freaking Hilton. That being said, our room was blissfully cool, clean, and the staff was very nice. There was also a safe in the room so we didn't have to worry about a thing. Sure the furnishings are a little 'beachy' and dated, but like I said, it's Belize. The pools were nice and the food in the restaurant was great. I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brittany C
Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

This hotel needs a makeover. Rain drips from the roof. The loungers on the beach are of plastic and many are broke but the beach itself is beautiful. Ask for a room on the seaside eg no 104 or 105. It is not that much more expensive compared to rooms without sea view. Room number 335 has a bad view to a broken roof. The staff in restaurant works so hard and it seems they are too few people. But even though they are very friendly. If it wasn’t for the beautiful beach and the nice staff I would rate the hotel as bad.

Stayed: December 2017
Reviewed 30 December 2017

Location: south of the town center, only 7-12 min of Golf Cart ride. I found the location convenient. Make sure that you rent a golf cart or prepared to pay for cabs. Rides to town are around $10 BZ

Room: the rooms are dated and will require some work very soon. The bed was great - I slept very well. Something that I experienced and apparently many others in the hotel (heard people talking about it during breakfast) is the paper thin walls. For us it was in the bathroom, I felt like I am sharing the shower with the person in the room next to me. I could hear their conversation like they were standing next to me. Some people experienced it with their room walls.

Service: I would say 2/5 stars since the restaurant people weren't nice at all (they were only nice to few couples that seem to come there a lot) - I always carry with me cash to for tips, but they worked really hard to make me decide that they should not get a tip from me. Front desk was cold to us, and we felt very unwelcomed (after they found out that we are renting a golf cart from another company and not from them which is a savings of $25 USD a day ($50 vs $75). However, the front desk lady was very nice to us when we checked out (had no other interactions with her). Cleaning ladies were very nice and did a very good job cleaning the room (that is why I gave them two stars and not 0 for service)

Breakfast - basic but good enough for me - 2 eggs, one piece of bread, few baked potatoes, the slice of watermelon, and coffee. No choices for the free breakfast.

Beach - very small but clean and nice. The boat tour will pick you up right from the hotel which is nice.

If you don't care about service and like people hearing you while you are singing in the shower - book this place. I don't think that this hotel is horrible, maybe it won't bother you since you are likely to spend most of your day outside the hotel anyways.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple