All reviews mexico rocks action divers treetop suite water taxi green parrot in town dive shop honeymoon suite ambergris caye boat captain fish minute boat ride dive master thatch roof golf cart great snorkeling the entire staff
Reviewed 10 April 2016

My wife and I had a wonderful time at Portofino. I call them the day that I was to arrive and were practically on time to pick us up from the airport. Transferred to the boat to the Resort. Upon arrival, we were received with cool drinks and we were told not to worry about our luggage, that was taken care of, totally hands off. After check in, we were taken to our beach front room and gave us Belizian soap of different kind and flavors. The room was awesome, plenty of hot water and complimentary soaps/shampoo and conditioner. Beautifully decorated. The Staff was very helpful and were eager to assist us on whatever we needed. We rented the golf carts for 3 days and drove all over Ambergris/San Pedro. The power went out for one night but was running on backup generator. We could not run the A/C, but the location has awesome security, we were able to sleep with our doors wide open and enjoyed the ocean breeze in our room, sort of like camping but in an awesome bed. No bugs or mosquitoes.
I wish they offer coffee makers in the rooms, that way, I can have it whenever I wanted it.

Room tip: Beachfront rooms are the best.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2016

I would not recommend Portofino to anyone after the terrible customer service experience we had. At the end of the day, we felt unheard about our experience and just another $ to them. It's also pretty far from everything in town so it's easy to feel stuck there.

The transfer service offered was a poor experience. I inquired / communicated 3 times (the first time being 15 minutes after making my reservation) about our arrival time without any word or confirmation from Portofino. They ended up coming to pick us up relatively quickly after we wandered around the town with all of our luggage trying to find a local phone to call them. We let it go; we were there at last and a rocky start was not going to ruin our time on this beautiful island.

...I received a friendly email from the staff hoping everything worked out. I saw this as an opportunity to provide them with honest and professional feedback that the transfer service offered wasn't very smooth and we were disappointed that we had done everything we could to communicate our pickup information to no avail.

...long story short, the manager, Nick, gets involved in this email chain and takes no responsibility for their short fall (a service that should be smooth and fine tuned with a $250/night small resort); blames me, the guest, for not communicating during business hours (they were closed on Sunday apparently, even though I communicated Saturday morning, evening, and again on Sunday); and tells me that they are a small resort and can only do so much.

Just do what you say is part of your services, bro. And as a small resort, you should be more on top of guests arrivals, since there are so few. He could have smoothed it over with a personal apology, a complimentary cocktail, and said "hey, we messed up. super sorry about it", but instead it turned into a ridiculous email exchange with zero solution offered to make the experience better for us. Customer service 101: turn a complaint into an opportunity. Nick on behalf of Portofino failed hard here.

We did get a lovely gift of the soaps made in Belize as we were leaving, which was kind, but too late.

The rest of the staff were great from the front desk folks, Moe the boat guy, the cleaning ladies, and the maintenance guy. Free bikes and kayaks were a perk.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Whitney H
PortofinoBZ, Manager at Portofino Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2016

Dear Whitney,

You are absolutely right and we did drop the ball on the transfer from the town to the resort. It seems also that my attempt to explain how that happened was misinterpreted as an excuse, which was not the intention. The fault was therefore mine and I apologize again, as I did in my e-mail.

I’m glad to see that you did enjoy our island the that the employees of the resort were faithful in making your stay an enjoyable one. Unfortunately you schedule did not allow us to meet in person during your stay so I could have personally attended to your concerns Another personal failing to which I again apologize.

Portofino is proud of our staff and of our ability to make the Belize experience a memorable one for the guests who grace us with their patronage. The distance from town adds to the quiet island charm that many come to Ambergris Caye to find and the new road offers a degree of access that was not available even a few months ago. I’m sorry you felt that our experience led to a feeling of isolation rather than peace. I do hope that you come back to Belize and if not to Portofino maybe one of the other resorts closer to the town. Many of the employees remember you with warmth and kindness and hope that you are well.

Reviewed 3 April 2016 via mobile

We at yed there for our vacation. The rooms were large the staff were friendly. The place is nice but I believe it is way over priced for what you are getting. The food was below average there was no water pressure for the bathrooms which had no doors which is awkward and inconvenience if you are staying with your family.

Date of stay: April 2016
Reviewed 30 March 2016 via mobile

We (husband, self, and daughter) stayed in a suite for 4 nights. The suite was spacious, 2 full beds, WiFi, A/C, small refrigerator with complimentary water. Upon our arrival we were given complimentary scented bars of soap made locally. They smelled delicious and worked up a great lather. Our room staged with flowers on bed and in bath area. The staff was very nice, helpful and more than happy to accommodate. The hotel is approx 20min North of town San Pedro. Recommend to rent a golf cart for the day approx $59 US or couple of hours. Hotel offers complimentary bikes and kayak. Swimming pool on site (not heated). Beach access from hotel walking distance. Water is like bath water and the view is amazing. My only complaints: 1) food not that great and expensive for quality; 2) WiFi slow; 3) water pressure low for shower. Overall, I enjoyed my stay. Our tours we booked on our own prior to arrival. Recommend snorkeling /scuba tour. We had an absolute amazing time! Thank you Portofino for having us!

1  Thank Anel R
Reviewed 28 March 2016 via mobile

This is very nice, small Belize resort! The people who work here are very nice and that makes the difference! You can rent a golf cart to ride into town and do local shopping! Please rent a cart and go to dinner at the restaurant called rain. Sit on top floor I think on clear evening you see a lot of Belize and the sunset! They have boats that take you snorkeling to the reef, the best was Mexico rocks because you get to snorkel with nurse sharks and stingrays! Do not go to cay caulker it is not the best trip and they take you to a restarant called bamboo and the food is terrible!

2  Thank 670dianag