7 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Expedia.comUS$241
PricelineUS$243
TripadvisorUS$241
Hotels.comUS$241
TravelocityUS$241
Orbitz.comUS$241
1,238 results
All reviews mambo restaurant beachfront casita our honeymoon jade spa ambergris caye fish rojo bar main building minute boat ride paddle boards shark ray alley snorkeling gear golf cart thatched roof secret beach mayan ruins low key
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 June 2021 via mobile

I will start by saying that Matachica is a beautiful resort. The pool is beautiful and the view extraordinary. Unfortunately, the sea grass was in full fires while we were there. I understand that this is out of the resort’s control but it was a big disappointment. Especially when no one mentioned how big of an issue it is in the area before arriving. The smell really took over the ambiance and got old fast. They were working on removing it but it was a constant battle while we were there. We spent no beach time at the resort at all.

We stayed in the luxury ocean front villa with pool. On the surface, this thatch roofed cabana is beautiful. However, we quickly learned that a lot of things were off. One of our exterior doors would not shut all of the way & that eventually got fixed. I would think this would be an obvious issue that needed to be fixed prior to our arrival. And things like light switches to fans to poor AC units just evidence of a lack of man fence that is essential.

I will also say that this resort is really lacking in management and communication & most of the staff is simply not friendly. We really felt like a bother the entire time. (The resort adds an automatic 15% gratuity to everything and we wondered if that was the underlying issue.). We booked a private snorkeling trip with the manager on staff that day. We arrived on time to meet our guides only to find out 45 minutes later that she had forgotten to book it for us. Thankfully, another manager managed to find a crew to take us a little later. But the continuous lack of organization & management also put a damper on our experience.

On a positive note, i will say the food was wonderful! Also- the snorkeling trip with a visit to Caye Caulker was incredible. Henry & Jobe we’re awesome & went out of their way to make it special. I also has a massage at the spa and it was wonderful. The location was great because we were close to Secret Beach. And because of the sea grass situation & very windy days, we went there often. The pool was also very nice.

However, if we return to Belize, we would not return to Matachica. We visited several other resorts (Victoria House & the new autograph) and would definitely consider those. Both were beautiful and staff were extra friendly. And they seemed to have better success with the removal of sea grass.

Date of stay: June 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank misscrysTexas
Shannon Reeder, Marketing at Matachica Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2021

Thank you for your honest feedback. We are grateful you took the time to share, as it is only through hearing about our guests experiences that we can learn where to improve.

I am happy to read about your positive experiences and thrilled you enjoyed your tour, the spa and the pool. And we're very pleased to hear you enjoyed your meals in the restaurants. We spent a great deal of time focusing on our food and beverage offerings during the Covid shutdown, and it's so rewarding to see that work pay off

On our misses, we offer our sincerest apologies. You are correct, the door should have been addressed prior to your arrival, and we have taken that up with the maintenance staff. The seagrass was unusually heavy during your stay, and unfortunately, it affected the entire island for most of that week. We worked to clear it as quickly as possible, and even attempted to bring in heavier equipment to speed up the process. Unfortunately, the bridge from town was under repair, so we could not get the equipment to the resort.

And the failure to book the tour you requested was a complete oversight, which is completely unacceptable. Please accept our apologies.

It pains us to read your impression that the staff is unfriendly. It has inspired us to revisit customer service training to ensure that our guests are always treated with the utmost respect they deserve.

Reviewed 17 June 2021

We loved so much about Matachica! Our casita was amazing – my favorite of anywhere we have stayed - with a comfortable king-sized bed, beautiful mural behind the bed, and spacious bathroom with a huge closet. Every meal we had was delicious - especially the breakfasts, seafood entrees, and mushroom fettucine. And the key lime dessert at Mambo was not only delicious, but a work of art! The staff were all so friendly, kind, and helpful. This is a beautiful, peaceful, relaxing resort. The beach beds on the pier cannot be beat for a gorgeous view and nice ocean breeze. The infinity pool, while warm, is beautiful and has many depth options if you just want to lounge in the water rather than swim.

The minor complaints: I was disappointed to learn that aside from the (delicious) fish options, there wasn’t one authentic Belizean option to be found. We went off site for delicious salbutes and pupusas. Those kinds of things would be a great addition to the snack menu, instead of the truffle fries I ordered that were undercooked and had not a hint of flavor or seasoning on them.

There seemed to be confusion amongst some of the staff. On the first day of our stay, I asked an employee at the indoor bar if I could order food to eat out on the pier, and the answer was “I don’t know”. (She did ask someone for me, however). The website says there is poolside and pier drink service – and there is – maybe once a day. All in all, it was not a big deal to get up from the pier or pool to get our own drinks. To the benefit of our wallets, we drank a lot less than we usually do on a beach vacation, but I doubt that is the goal of the resort! Additionally, we were told the Tree Bar would open at 11 AM. One day it was 12:30 before we could get a drink there, and we were told it was because staff was in a meeting preparing for Taco Tuesday night. So maybe they were just short-staffed, or some of the staff was new. Most of the staff were delightful and helpful, and maybe these were just "off" experiences.

The major complaint:. As we dined and drank at Danny’s Tree Bar each day and evening, there was a man (usually wearing a white linen shirt and shorts or khaki pants) that we presumed to be the manager, working behind the bar, walking around talking to staff, and generally ignoring all the guests. Not once during our stay were we (or many others) approached by this man, or asked if we were enjoying our stay or our dinner, even when we were right in front of him. Additionally, we saw the Owner two different times during our stay, and while we saw him speak to certain tables, we were not one of them. Even while checking out Monday AM, and thanking the staff in earshot of BOTH of these men, we got no kind of acknowledgement or a thanks for our stay as we walked to the pier for our boat back to the airport. It was just an unwelcoming vibe. We were there the week of May 24th for 6 days.

1  Thank sharkbait42

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! It is through honest feedback that we are able to learn areas in which we can improve. I am so pleased to read all the things you loved about the resort.

We did have several new staff members in the restaurant at the end of May, and I'm happy to report that after another month of training, we are back up to our high level of service that defines the Matachica standard. I am sorry areas of your stay were affected by this staffing transition.

And we offer our sincerest apologies that you were left to feel unappreciated by management. That could not be further from the truth, as we are so thankful for our guests and for their trust in us when making decisions of where to travel. During this time of staff training, there was a great deal of behind the scenes work going on, which perhaps left the management distracted as they worked to coach the new people along.

Thank you for alerting us, and please rest assured you are most important to us, and we would love to welcome you back anytime.

Reviewed 16 June 2021

Henry, Lukas, Archie (who served us breakfast and was still there in the evening to serve dinner!) Will, Jose (the masseuses at the spa) the entire staff! What an amazing group of people! All serving with smiles and kindness, doing whatever they can to accommodate all the guests. Grounds keepers even, working truly AROUND THE CLOCK to maintain the lush grounds and beauty of Matachica! The amenities were plentiful with the kayaking, paddle boards, snorkeling both group and private tours. Golf carts readily available to rent and drive to other nearby locations. And if you miss your furry friend at home you can engage with the resorts new black lab puppy, “Taco!” I can’t say enough about our visit and how incredibly enjoyable it was! I’ve never been treated so well. I hope to return soon! Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Your resort was absolutely outstanding!

Room tip: Ocean view verses ocean front cabanas still have a great view, cuts down on wind and they’re cheaper.
Date of stay: June 2021

We are thrilled to read such a wonderful review, and we completely agree: our amazing staff is our secret weapon! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 11 June 2021

One thing kept Matachica from being truly memorable over our 6-day stay, the Food and Beverage area. Simply put, it was disappointing. There are so many wonderful things about Matachica, the friendly staff, unbeatable views, delightful constant breeze, but those couldn't compensate for the poor experiences at both Mambos.
The resort had known for some time that it would be sold out during our stay and they failed to prepare. The food preparation was sloppy, missing ingredients, plating atrocious and taste lacking for most of our stay. The wait times almost unbearable. The resort charges higher-end US pricing for food, but the quality was not there to back it up. As one of our fellow diners said one night, it's a 5-star place with 2.5-star food.
Things were so bad that the owner flew in on Saturday to have a come-to-Jesus meeting with the F&B staff ahead of some travel agents visiting the property on Sunday. He stopped by our table on Saturday evening to apologize for the prior evening, but didn't acknowledge that this wasn't just a one-evening problem.
Miraculously, the food at lunch and dinner was completely different on Sunday evening and Monday at the end of our stay.
Similarly, the bar needs work as well. I kid you not when I say that of the 30+ drinks we ordered during our stay none were made consistently. Everybody used a different recipe or just made it up based on the ingredients listed on the menu.
We come from a food and beverage city in the US so all of these things added up to major disappointment with our experience and sadly has us not recommending the resort to others in our circles.

Room tip: Buy booze at the airport and order non-alcoholic drinks to save $6 a drink.
2  Thank R3639HHelizabethr
Shannon Reeder, Marketing at Matachica Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2021

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback. We are so pleased that you enjoyed our property and found our friendly staff to be accommodating. However, we know that dining is such an important part of your vacation and apologize that the restaurant fell short of your expectations.

We did indeed have a full house over your stay and unfortunately encountered some staffing issues in the kitchen which resulted in longer than usual wait times at the restaurant. Our management and owner were aware of the disappointment this created, prompting our owners return to personally apologize to those impacted. We are happy to report that these issues were short term and have since been addressed and are glad to hear that your final meals were more enjoyable as a result. Should you find yourselves back in Belize, we would be delighted to have you return to stay and dine with us in the future to enjoy our restaurant and menu as intended.

Reviewed 4 June 2021

'Wow' seems like a great way to begin. I stayed at Matachica for 5 nights towards the end of May 2021. Prior to arrival, the reservations team provided professional service and quick responses, setting off my vacation on the right note.

I enjoyed this trip as a solo traveler. I chose to visit Belize during the pandemic because they spoke english primarily. I selected Matachica because it is private by nature, adults-only and also because they are committed to a safe and clean environment/experience. Not once did I feel out of place here at the resort. Everyone I interacted with was so pleasant. They were always conveniently within reach without hovering and I really appreciated that.

I stayed in a Beach Bungalow, which was tended to daily by the wonderful Mercy. Her daily service never wavered and she ensured the room was well presented and restocked to my personal needs daily. She even put a glade scented room plug in the scent "Pear" and it was delightful. It made it really smell and feel like I was in paradise.

At the front desk, my requests were always handled by the lovely Jennifer & Yarima. Both girls were extremely professional, polite and knowledgeable . I never hesitated to ask them a question. Quite often I found myself drifting into an extended conversation with both ladies because they were both so approachable.

Lucas was awesome. I was greeted each day and he was always willing to help me set up the umbrella to my liking on the pier. He also did a great job of recommending water-sports based on the weather that day.

If you choose to have any services done at Jade Spa, I highly recommend Louisa. She has a wonderful disposition and I felt extremely comfortable around her. She also did a fantastic job with the massage I had chosen.

One of the best parts of my vacation was the food and drinks. Absolutely delicious. So flavorful and well thought out. Sweet fresh fruits and fresh baked treats each morning for breakfast. The ingredients used in the drinks also very fresh and of high quality. The taste of the food was matched perfectly by the service of the food and beverage staff. A huge shout out to Dawn, Archy, Jose, Luis and Jordy.

Overall, a fantastic experience. From the moment I landed into San Pedro, being greeted personally by Alessandro to my departure, also overseen by Alessandro, I was well-tended to throughout. The atmosphere at Matachica is so serene, I would easily dub it as the epitome of peacefulness. The kind of experience that sticks with you forever.

By the end of my stay I couldn’t help but ask myself two questions: Why didn’t I come here sooner and when next can I return.

Room tip: If you're staying in a Beach Bungalow, request 'Banana'. Good running A/C, great water pressure in the sinks and shower.
1  Thank toniiocean95
Shannon Reeder, Marketing at Matachica Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2021

Wow is the best way for us to begin as well! We are thrilled to read your feedback and so happy you enjoyed your time with us at Matachica! Thank you for the time you took to share such wonderful details, and we hope to welcome you back very soon.