All reviews ski concierge ajax tavern star diamond mini bar colorado resident mountain side free snacks aspen mountain gas fireplace rooms are spacious in town luxury hotel concierge staff favorite hotel wonderful hotel outstanding service maroon bells
Reviewed 29 April 2018

High altitude sensitivity - not withstanding - hands down the Little Nell is the best! Rooms are fabulous and with their own fireplace - some with balconies - views of the mountain - Frette bed linens - luxurious comforters - j'adore! Ajax tavern, a must stop for anyone in Aspen - famous and well deservedly so. The Little Nell welcomed me and made me feel right at home, took care of me when I was really feeling the "altitude sickness" I Loved my stay !

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Aspen_GM1, General Manager at The Little Nell, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2018

Dear cristina v,
I’m sorry to hear you were feeling under the weather during your stay with us, and am glad that our staff members took great care of you. They do an amazing job at making sure all of our guests feel their best to enjoy all that Aspen has to offer. I’m thrilled that you loved the look and feel of the rooms and your meal at Ajax Tavern. Their truffle fries are one of my favorite indulgences. I hope to welcome you back to Aspen this summer season!

Best,

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Ideal location - over-the-top service from all the staff, especially the concierge and bell desk. Great hotel - made for a wonderful vacation. We also brought our small dog and the staff treated him like royalty - it was very nice to know that while we were skiing he was being well taken care of

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Relais & Chateaux
1  Thank mmartich
Aspen_GM1, General Manager at The Little Nell, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2018

Dear mmartich,
I’m so glad to hear you had a wonderful ski trip. We’re lucky to have an amazing staff at The Little Nell who especially enjoy spoiling our four-legged guests and their humans. I hope to welcome you back to Aspen soon!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 29 March 2018

We’ve known about The Little Nell for years now but what mainly deterred us from visiting sooner were the connecting flights from NYC. Alas, we decided to take the plunge and see what the fuss was all about. Let's just say, we weren't disappointed.

The hotel appeared to encompass an entire block and was right in the midst of the slopes. Unfortunately as a beginner, I skied at nearby Buttermilk instead. Although my boyfriend had the pleasure of skiing here everyday and he absolutely loved it!

We’ve landed ourselves a spacious one-bedroom suite with a balcony on the second floor overlooking the heated pool, Chair 9 restaurant/bar, and the mountains beyond. While we would’ve preferred a much more quieter location, it definitely provided much amusing people-watching during the raucous apres-ski scene. One thing that surprised us was how elegant and classy of a hotel The Little Nell appeared to be, until the apres ski scene rolled around. Quite the contrast. Next thing you know, you’re wondering if you’re even staying in the same hotel. It was always crowded everyday, perhaps it was because we were there over the weekend, and music was blasting. I didn’t think the DJ was anywhere as good, but hey, if you’re into this sort of scene, I’m sure you wouldn’t mind as much. Everyone appeared to be having a good time...and drunk, might I add.

Our room was absolutely beautiful. We loved the chalet-inspired modern feel to it. We had two fireplaces, spacious dining and living areas, two bathrooms and the main was equipped with a steam shower, elegant bar/kitchen with the most exquisite wine program offered, ample closet space, both hardwood and carpeted flooring. Their wine program offered in the mini fridge and on the kitchen counter were something else! I’m a wine lover and had never been to a hotel where they provided expensive bottles of wine right in the comfort of your room. Normally, you would have to request for it through in-room dining or at the bar. Of course these exquisite wines were not free, and they weren’t cheap either. Some of them had a hefty price tag. I made sure not to “accidentally” touch a $600+ bottle of wine. But what The Little Nell did offer generously were the amazing collection of complimentary soft drinks and snacks. For the price we’ve paid for the suite, we thought it was a nice little touch.

One of the nights we were there, the well-renowned chef, Jean Georges and his son, Cedric, hosted a dinner event at The Little Nell’s restaurant called Element 47. As, or rather was, a fan of Jean Georges in NYC - we couldn’t miss this opportunity. It was a prix-fixe menu with multiple courses. Of course we didn’t think the chefs were really cooking for all the patrons dining that night, because they were too busy making rounds greeting tables. Ha. Perhaps they've crafted the menu and it was executed by the cooks from Element 47. While it was a pleasant meal, it wasn’t anything to write home about. Meeting Jean Georges was underwhelming. He definitely spent time schmoozing with the bigger tables and barely greeted us patrons in tables of twos. When he finally came to greet our table, he barely acknowledged us and continued on his way to the next table. WTF? So much for that experience! After this, I didn’t have any qualms his flagship restaurant got dropped down to two Michelin stars. If that was how he greeted people willing to pay their hard-earned money to sample his finest cooking, I’d say he deserved it. We’ll be taking our business elsewhere.

As for service, I thought the best received was from our waitress at Element 47 that night. She was on point, friendly and courteous. Despite how crowded this event was, she still made her rounds without breaking a sweat. In addition, I thought the woman working at the hotel boutique and an in-rooming dining employee bringing up breakfast were extremely pleasant and friendly to interact with. They deserved a proper shout-out too.

Service elsewhere - I didn’t think one of the women working at the front desk was friendly at all. Would it hurt you to be less snooty? You could look up and smile for once. Also, acknowledging one person and not the other in a group wasn't proper. Neither was the valet anything to write home about. They weren’t friendly too in my opinion. Something has to be done about the staff training here. Inconsistent service does not make a five-star hotel. Period.

As for the shopping in the vicinity, oh my goodness! I absolutely adored the shops loitering the fine streets of Aspen with views of the mountains over yonder. High-end designer labels mixed in with pop-up concept stores, luxury consignment shops, and one-of-a-kind boutiques. I definitely did more damage here than compared to a similar ski resort town like Courchevel 1850, or even NYC for that matter. I loved how walkable The Little Nell was to all these shops. The town was not big at all that you need a car to explore.

All in all, I wouldn’t mind visiting this hotel again to experience more of what it had to offer. Please do me a favor though, Little Nell, train your staff to be a tad less snooty, will ya? I hate to see such a beautiful hotel go downhill because of this.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Kiki L,
Thank you for taking the time to share this thoughtful review! I’m pleased to hear you felt at home in your suite and enjoyed all the shopping and fun Aspen has to offer. Thank you for your kind words regarding your interactions with your element 47 server, in-room dining server and boutique associate. Please allow me to personally apologize for the inconsistent service and lack of warmth you felt with some of our team members. We pride ourselves on making each and every guest feel welcome and well looked after, and I’m disappointed to know that was not your experience. I will share this feedback with our staff as we will continue to work toward improving The Little Nell experience. We hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 26 March 2018

We went fly fishing with the tour group located at the little nell. That was a 5 star experience. The guides were knowledgeable, attentive and super fun!!! The hotel though was a big disappointment. Maybe, we were given the worst room on the floor? I heard the humming of large AC machine outside the whole time and the room was definitely not worth the 600+ price tag each night.

Stayed: May 2017
1  Thank Ahu2014

Dear Ahu2014,
I’m thrilled to hear you had a great time fly fishing with our adventure team! Our guides enjoy sharing their love of fly fishing and the area with our guests. I’m sorry to hear of your disappointment with your accommodations. That is not a comment we hear frequently and one we take quite seriously. We certainly don’t feel there is a ‘bad’ room here at The Little Nell, but whenever possible we are happy to move a guest that prefers a different layout or view. Please contact me to share your thoughts at 970.920.4600.

Regards,

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Little Nell is a special ski in ski out hotel at the bottom of Aspen mountain.
It’s just the perfect place to stay if you want luxury .
Service was great , the breakfast is so good in main restaurant.Ajax the mountain restaurant is fun place food was better again this year my one comment is could be little healthier in terms of its options.
Our suite was great though the air con was past its best it’s noisy at night and did not keep room cool , we asked for it to be fixed four times 3 of them they just thought we were stupid and adjusted the thermostat,the fourth I was there and managed to convince them it does not work and it’s noisy they still did not fix it
It was better though still noisy ,so decided to turn it of open windows.
One of the shower heads was not working , weighing scales were broken taken away and only replaced after 3 times asking,closet light stayed on.
This hotel even though I like it hear has maintenance issues and they need how ever much it costs to sort out air conditioning.
Even though I appreciate the credit I got at 6000 dollars a night it’s not good enough not to have things working perfectly.
Either the hotel needs to spend the money or loose there customers.
I do hope they will spend the money as I do like it here it’s such a special place and the device is great .

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family

Dear orange5255,
It’s an honor to hear you feel The Little Nell is the ideal place to enjoy a luxury stay in Aspen. My goal is that our guests enjoy a seamless and worry-free stay, and I apologize for the maintenance issues you experienced. These issues have been shared with our team to ensure they do not continue and The Little Nell experience remains as special as you noted. Please contact me at 970.920.4600 if you’d like to further discuss your stay and any concerns you may have. We hope to welcome you back for a perfect vacation at The Little Nell in the future.

Best,