Enjoyed four days in Avalon at Catalina Island.
1. Best Seafood = Armstrong's
2. Best Steak = Steve's Steakhouse
3. Best Ice Cream = Big Olafs
4. Best tour = With Chip at Wetspot from 10 am to 4 pm. Included $125 pp trip to top of island, airport, lunch on the beach and iced water is included, chairs and umbrella furnished, kayak and snorkeling at Little Harbor (away from crowds) and return to visit Catalina Island Fox, Buffalo, Golden Eagle and Bald Eagle both in rehab. Chip is a 3rd generation native and clearly knows the island very well.
5. Best fast food = Coney Island West (burgers were super!)
6. Biggest disappointment - Discovery tours evening cruise for flying fish. We saw a few but we clearly missed the peak.
7. Biggest surprise = Snorkeling 5 minutes walk from Wetspot. Super visibility, great schools of fish (they get fed regularly and you can actually buy some food if you wish). The local sight seeing boats visit every 10 or 15 minutes so watch where you swim but the large schools of fish in less than 15 feet of clear water warm (75 degrees) are a treat.
A note of caution, each Tuesday and Wednesday Avalon hosts a single large cruise ship for the day, which is really good for the local economy but really makes Avalon crowded especially for lunch and at the beaches.