“Beautiful room, great location, attentive staff”
Review of Pavilion Hotel

Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“Beautiful room, great location, attentive staff”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I had never been to Catalina Island, but I took a chance on this hotel largely because of the good reviews. I was not disappointed; on the contrary I would stay here again and would not hesitate to recommend it to my friends.
I stayed overnight here with my daughter and we took advantage of the 4 PM wine and cheese tasting, the free breakfast, (which included juices, fresh fruit, breads, muffins, sweet rolls, cereal, yogurt, granola, and Starbucks coffee) and the free Wifi. We sat outside at the patio for our breakfast, looking over the Pacific. There's a pedestrian walkway dividing the hotel from the beach, maybe with an occasional golf cart passing by.
We walked here from the pier. I had rollers on my suitcase and my daughter carried her overnight bag. The hotel kindly stored our bags for us while we went snorkeling because we arrived before check-in. Then a room became available and we were allowed to check in at 1:00. The next day, the hotel again stored our bags for us (since our boat didn't leave until 4:30 PM) and the staff member in charge of the luggage room said that they would take our bags to the pier for us if we wanted. Since it was just a short walk away (about 2 blocks) we took the bags ourselves.
Our room was well appointed with frig, large flat-panel TV, hair dryer, and the best cottony towels I've ever had in a hotel. Comfy beds and pillows, not too hard, not too soft.
If I were to go again, I'd get the package with the Zipline Eco Tour. We did the zip line the second day of our stay, but I had booked it separately. My daughter found out later that we could have booked a package with the hotel and zip line together.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank LaCrosseLady

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Reviewed 5 March 2012

The Pavilion Hotel is an easy 5 or 10 minute walk from the Catalina Express pier. It is located across the street from the harbor, along the crescent that connects the pier with the hotels, restaurants, Casino, and Descanso Beach along the waterfront.

The staff is uniformly friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and comfortable, with down comforters and pillows, the wine and cheese at 4 PM each afternoon is great, and the continental breakfast each morning is fine (the toasters are a little slow, allow about 15 minutes if you want toast.)

The garden area is beautiful, and the firepit was nice at night and early morning. We visited in March, before peak season, and the atmosphere was totally relaxing. Like a mini Hawaii.

Save a bunch on the most popular Avalon tours by booking the Unlimited package, we paid about $600 for 2 nights with tours.

Room Tip: Only two levels, ground and upstairs. Upstairs rooms are less expensive, if you don't mind a li...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarkBeWell
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Good breakfast, great service, great location, rooms are cozy, beautiful courtyard, stayed here with our 3 kids and truly enjoyed ourselves. However, way too much money, but hey it's Catalina. Paid approx $750.00 for 2 nights

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Lovebeingadad
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We stayed three nites at the Pavilion, thoroughly enjoyed it and would return. The hotel is a ten minute walk from the ferry dock, was recently renovated and the staff is helpful, courteous and pleasant to deal with. I particularly note Salvador who helped as at check in, check out and several times in between. Jose O. looked after us very efficiently at the breakfast buffet and makes a great cappuccino on request. Incidentally the so-called continental breakfast buffet is one of the best I've had in that category. In addition there is a complimentary wine and cheese tasting; four small samples of distinctive cheeses plus a choice of red or white, and a second glass of wine was usually available. Five of the six wines offered over three days were very drinkable. The grounds are lush, well planted and have places to sit to enjoy the surroundings, the ocean and mountains while loafing, having breakfast outside or during the wine & cheese offering.

A great place to visit and get away from the crush of our modern world

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms have a small patio; upstairs rooms a bit of a view, but also individuals passing y...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Escondido, California
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I would like to thank all the staff at the pavilion hotel for giving me and my wife such a enjoyable time.On my wife's birthday when we returned from the zipline tour they had left us champane and flowers for my wife with a card signed by the staff ,i thought this was incrediblie thoughtful of them to do so and showed what a truly freindly and peaceful environment they have created there .I will definetly be making a return trip to stay with them. thank you all very much.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple