“Best Bacon Wrap Filet”
Review of The Derby

The Derby
Reserve with OpenTable
The Derby is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 255 Restaurants in Arcadia
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 2nd Ave
Reviewed 13 February 2017

Formal, classic atmosphere, very nice ambiance. Definitely a great place for a special night out. Service is very good.

Reviewed 3 February 2017

This was my first time here in years. We were heading out to the Souplantation and saw its sign next door. So what the heck, any sign that boasts "World Famous" has got to be interesting and it was really formal from what I remembered, but I also remembered that the steaks were the best in the valley. The interior is a muted wood "old school" formal dining that says "wear a coat and tie" type of place. I was a little intimidated by the really nicely dressed diners but after I took off my florescent yellow turnout coat and LAFD fire hat, I fit in pretty good.

The hostess made us feel really welcome and offered the menu to look over. It was boggling to the mind and taste. And the prices weren't out of the ordinary. I had the bacon wrapped filet and my partner had the hanger steak.

The wines were a bit pricey for my taste, but not out unreasonable, In short-everything was really good. The service was excellent. As I was wandering around absorbed in the horse racing memorabilia, it made me feel like I was in one of those mansions you see on television. Yes, I highly recommend the Derby.

Reviewed 23 January 2017 via mobile

The Derby has been on my list for a while. I came here for the dineLA this year just to see if it is as good as I've heard.

I started with the crap cake, followed by the prime rib and ended with the cheesecake.

The crab cake as pretty nicely done. The freshness was there and the aioli sauce was good.

The prime rib had a very generous portion. My shrimp scampi, despite of its good flavour, was too dry for me. I ordered a medium prime rib but was served a medium rare. I could still deal with it, but it would be a lot better if the meat was more cooked for me.

The cheesecake was alright, certainly was not outstanding. The bread pudding my friend ordered was a bit better.

My friend's bacon wrapped fillet mignon had a good taste, but the bacon outside was completely over-cooked.

I did like the ambience, but the food might need a bit more work. However, since we had ordered from the dineLA menu, I'm not sure if that is the same quality one would get from its regular menu.

Our waiter was nice and friendly, but he was always in a hurry. So we didn't get that attentive service vibe throughout our meal.

Reviewed 17 January 2017

Today was an upbeat and memorable day thanks to our delicious and well prepared meal at the Derby Restaurant in Arcadia. I cannot, nor could my guests, say enough good things about this back-in-time and ambient-filled steak house. I am going to list the foods we had so that you, too might enjoy a great meal while out with friends and family. Please consider trying the following: Bacon wrapped filet mignon...exceptional and very flavorful, cooked to a perfect medium rare. Cobb salad, fresh and tasty with amazing blue cheese dressing, the best I have had anywhere. Grilled Prawns that are large and butterflied with garlic butter, fresh parmesan cheese and caper sauce. Not overcooked in the least...juicy and absolutely stunning. The vegetable, which was broccoli, was also prepared well, not mushy but fresh and green with a sear on it that added to it's flavor. The steak fries that came with the filets were hot and fresh with just enough salt, as were the garlic mashed potatoes. To finish everything off, we shared a Creme Brûlée with raspberries and whipped creme that had a wonderful topping of hardened sugar that "cracked" when we dove into it. Out of this world...
Having said all of this, I would be remiss if I did not mention our happy and enthusiastic server Vicky! She was on top of it!! She made our experience at the Derby extra special for us by making us feel both welcome and comfortable.
I cannot say one bad thing about our time out dining today. We were all so grateful that though the meals were not inexpensive, their over-the-top yumminess turned our outing into an event. We will surely be back to create new memories with other great offerings in the not-to-distant future.

Reviewed 17 January 2017

I have been going to The Derby for many years, usually a couple times a year. While I like the atmosphere, the prices are increasing and the portions getting smaller. Most recently, I had there Cobb Salad, which looked like it was suppose to be a side salad. I believe I paid just under $17.00. The table is given bread, which is DELICIOUS!!! We always ask for extra bread. You can park your own car or use valet.

Been to The Derby? Share your experiences!