“Excellent sushi!”

Zen Sushi & Sushi Bar
Ranked #7 of 86 Restaurants in Aliso Viejo
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 4 August 2016 via mobile

My boyfriend and I just stopped by for a dinner after just driving by and seeing this place. It turned out to be a really small restaurant with the most delicious sushi. Everything we ordered was just fantastic. Some of the best sushi we have had and we are big sushi eaters! They also have great lunch prices. Highly recommend this place and we will be back.

Reviewed 2 July 2016

I had the lunch bento box which is only $11.00. I was chicken and tempura. I don't like tempura'ed starch and asked for the tempura to be only green vegetables and shrimp. They made the substitution without complaint or up charge. The chicken teriyaki was moist and not smothered in sauce. The tempura was outstanding. The green vegetables were asparagus was fresh and not over cooked and the food did not taste of the oil used for frying. One of the best bento boxes I have had!

Reviewed 20 May 2016

I have been eating here for almost 8 years. They started with one restaurant and have since added two more. That should tell you something. Also, and most important, is the sushi here is VERY fresh since they are busy much of the time and they get DAILY deliveries of seafood. Try it, you will like it!!!

Reviewed 16 May 2016

OK, my friend took me there, but none the less, the food was amazing. The only way to describe is Japanese / Mexican fusion food....

The restaurant is located in a complex of shops in Aliso Viejo. If you're in the area, definitely pop in for a visit.

The menu does contain more traditional Japanese style dishes, as well as dishes with a Mexican influence, such as appetizer dish of Fish tacos or a main sushi burrito (awesome)

Reviewed 29 April 2016

I'm quite surprised about the last three reviews of this restaurant. I would rate them as very good for friendliness, but the food? Below average. First, how hard is it to make a salad? I mean, that fresh ginger dressing is like SUPER easy to make. However, this restaurant does not make their own. I had a "house salad" that was drenched (DRENCHED!) in bottled "ginger" dressing. There was ONLY iceberg lettuce and this soup of a dressing. Oh, and sesame seeds. A lot of them. No fresh veggies, nary a cucumber! Just lettuce, seeds, and dressing. And a lot of it. The sushi was average.....fresh, I think, but rather blah. I must say that the rice was thicker in the rolls, so the rolls LOOK bigger but they are just really a lot of rice padding around the edges. I like the location and the locals-only feel, but if the locals are happy w/this level of quality, they have not had truly good, fresh sushi.