“Good Lunch Specials”
Review of Izakaya Akatora

Izakaya Akatora
Ranked #34 of 260 Restaurants in Alhambra
Price range: US$10 - US$100
Description: Modern Tokyo Izakaya Sushi Bar with a large selection of premium Sakes specializing in Omakase (Chef's Tasting Menu).
Reviewed 6 November 2016

My daughter and I like this sushi restaurant for lunch when her school lets out early on Fridays. But, get there before 2 p.m. when they close for lunch service. We enjoy the bento boxes. Everything is quality and service is excellent. Prices at lunch is reasonable. Expect to spend much more at dinner. They have daily specials on the black board located at the rear of the restaurant. Also, they have Happy Hour with discounts on food and drinks. A must try if you like sushi!

Reviewed 19 June 2016 via mobile

I love it. Interesting happy hours at 3$. Very good salmon lemon cut roll, amazing Toro with Foie Gras sushi (this one was not at $3...)

Reviewed 26 May 2016

Went there on Thursday night for family gathering. The restaurant is pretty small but love their food, great taste. Sushi and sashimi are fresh, service are great!

Reviewed 6 May 2016 via mobile

I'm a huge izakaya fan; I love the idea of getting all sorts of different small plates. So a restaurant that does a bunch of different things and does them all well is a place worth returning to.
This place is fabulous; the sushi and sashimi options are fabulous; the chef sources some amazing things; he will usually have some Japanese scallops that are to die for. They also do robata; skewers of various things. I'm partial to the ribeye skewer, but the chicken skin and pork belly skewers are also quite tasty. My wife likes the Kobe corn dogs, and I enjoy the house salad. If you're a sake fan, they have a huge sake list for you to try out in all price ranges.

The only caveat to this place is the cost. If you aren't careful and disciplined, you're going to order a ton of food and sake, enjoy all of it, and then be surprised at the bill. This is not a place that I can hit every day; my wallet can't take it. But every so often my wife and I come in and live it up; the food is awesome.

Reviewed 16 March 2016

We, on spur of moment, walked in just before 6pm on a Wednesday. Immediate seating and a very good happy hour menu from 5-7pm with most items $3. We enjoyed the soft shell crab spider roll, the crunchy tuna hand roll, the shrimp sushi, yellowtail tempura, and our first Robata on a stick: chicken thigh. About $31 with tax and tip for two. As we were leaving at 7pm it was starting to get busy. Service on items from kitchen a bit slow.

Been to Izakaya Akatora? Share your experiences!