“Quiet, very clean and good location”

Kimpton Carlyle Hotel
Ranked #50 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Hong Kong, China
“Quiet, very clean and good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Big rooms for 4 peoples, easy to walk either to the White House or Georgetown, very good hotel for a reasonable price

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
CarlyleSuitesHotel, Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2012
Dear wearegohen - I know I speak for the team when I say THANK YOU. Despite the limited parking, you still gave us a stellar review. Speaking of the parking, we do wish we could expand on the number of spaces. The lots small size was our motivation for keeping it complimentary. I hope it wasn't a terrible inconvenience. On another note, I do hope your emergency trip to DC ended on a good note and that you are planning a happier return. Let us know if we can be of any assistance. Warm Regards, MarcAnthony

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Arabic first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Our emergency trip to DC had us choosing any hotel that was near our son's home and Washington Hospital Center. Because they indicated parking we chose this hotel. Beware, if you drive, parking may not be available on weekends. We had to park at a different hotel and pay $40 plus walk back 30 minutes. If we had known this we would have not gotten a vehicle. But with our visits to the hospital we thought it would be more convenient with our own transportation. We ended up leaving the car at the hospital and using taxi service. The staff were very accommodating, we ordered from their room service close to closing, but the food was excellent. We had a corner suite with pull out sofa, also kitchen that had stove top, microwave and a few dishes. I would stay here again, just not with a vehicle.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank wearegohen
Aurora, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

I had an enjoyable stay at the Carlyle Suites. While at the hotel, I received an email with attached documents that I needed to print, complete, scan and email back. I read this email around 10pm. David helped me to complete the task by setting me up with the desk laptop, allowing me to print through the office printer and then bringing his personal scanner out to scan the documents so I could email them. I very much appreciated David’s help with this and If I return to D.C. Carlyle Suites will be the one I call.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank JWSchneider
NY,NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

We found this hotel on TripAdvisor and decided to stay b/c of all the great reviews. I agree with most of them but there are a few cons that I will discuss later.
Pros:
The hotel is in a great location in DuPont Circle right on Embassy Row. It is pretty safe area I am assuming b/c of all of the police patrolling the area. There is a tiny parking lot but if you happen to stay over a wknd there is enough on street parking in the area. The rooms are pretty large but beware if your room is near the elevator b/c it is quite noisy. The elevator itself makes alot of noise going up / down. The hotel is close to the metro and all of the museums, National Mall, etc are only a few stops away. There are great restaurants in the area ( actually right around the corner) Floriana and Agora ( on 17th St). There are also convenience stores, liquor stores, etc close by as well. The breakfast buffet is reasonably priced at $11.95 during the wk and the patio with the skylights (indoor) is super cute and cozy. The bar is very retro and fun. Great place for a drink.
Cons: We went to DC for a special occasion and noted it on our reservation beforehand so we could possibly get an upgrade depending on availability. I called ahead to confirm this and the mgr said they would definitely accomodate us. Upon check in, we informed the front desk clerk of our note on the reservation and our special occasion. She said there was availability but she would have to check with a manager. The Manager on Duty (MOD) was not available at the moment but she would get back to us. The Front desk clerk said she would give us the best room in our category with a great view in the meantime. We thanked her and went to our room. To our surprise, we walked into a stale smelling ( must have been a smoker in a non-smoking room) room with a view of a brick wall literally! We went back and our room was changed to one by the elevator with a partial view of a brick wall this time and the washington monument in the background( if you leaned out the window to see it that is) The manager on duty still was not to be found. We were told if we didnt get an upgrade that nite, we would get one the next day. We enjoyed a great dinner in the area and the sights as well. The next day we inquired about an upgrade again with a different front desk clerk and were told the manager is not available and she would get back to us definitely with an upgrade. Needless to say, after following up for the THIRD TIME, the manager nor the upgrade never materialized. I am not sure if the manager was really unavailable or if the front desk clerks just couldnt be bothered b/c they were busy with other guests. This was the most disappointing part of the trip for us. Oh, just one more recommendation, breakfast ends at 11:00 am and yes even on wknds! If you get to the buffet after 10:15 there will be slim pickings and they dont refill the buffet stations. This was our experience on Sunday.
Overall it was a nice stay but not sure I would stay again b/c customer service is key and not sure if there was a bigger issue it would be handled properly. Thanks!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank michygal05
Martinsville, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

I stayed at Carlyle Suites Hotel over this past President's Day Weekend, February 17 - 20. It was my fourth visit to the hotel, located an easy six-block walk from my daughter's condo. The hotel is always clean and quiet. The beds are very comfortable. I love the little kitchenette in every room. The Keurig coffee maker makes great coffee. The breakfast buffet has a huge selection, and eggs/omelettes can be made to order right in front of you. They are always well stocked with morning papers. The front desk staff has always been polite and friendly. The few times I have had a problem with the refrigerator or the clock radio, the maintenance man appeared immediately and fixed the problem. This is not a hotel which has a gym, a pool, a store; but it is small, quiet, clean, friendly, and located in a very nice neighborhood close to Dupont Circle, with very reasonable prices. I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are bigger and very nice.