“Great hotel in a central location .”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #40 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 December 2017 via mobile

Recently spent 5 days with my wife in the hotel . We had a few hiccups during our stay — dog barking —but the manager and staff fixed it immediately and to our ultimate satisfaction . It is a pleasure to see management really focused on customer satisfaction. The room was nice and the restaurant was excellent for breakfast .

The best part of our entire stay were the valet parking guys and the front door staff . They could not be more helpful and attentive . They would not give my my car until they cleaned all the snow off my vehicle — great team !

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,527)

Reviewed 10 December 2017

A very nice hotel. The check in was easy. A nice front desk staff and a nice location. The room was large, great workspace with very fast internet access. The bed was great and the hotel was very quiet. A good stay.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 November 2017

When Dannyboy gives you a shot of tequila because you don't drink wine at the free wine mixer from 5 to 6 PM nightly, then you know you've found your home away from home.

But wait, there's more...

I showed my military ID and was upgraded at no charge.

The front of house crew greets you like you're an old friend.

They have shift changes with walkthroughs to point out what requires cleaning and more attention to detail for the guests' benefit.

There's a bike to borrow for quick errands nearby.

There's food everywhere, from Urbana to Pizzaria Paradiso, and more.

Why would you want to stay anywhere else near Dupont Circle?

Did I mention a Red Line stop about 5 minutes away?

AND a CVS, a local grocery store, and a liquor store, because Dannyboy whetted your appetite for tequila?

This is my home away from home.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank Chuck T
Reviewed 26 November 2017

Two business trips, both with stays in the Hotel Palomar, confirmed the quality of the staff and service in the DC Hotel Palomar. The rooms were large and comfortable. The location on P Street is convenient to restaurants and the metro.

Room Tip: As an urban hotel, all rooms offer "city" views. Rooms in the back look into shared yards...
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 November 2017

I stayed with my son for a weekend stay. We had a room with 2Q beds The room was really large. I was expecting a 4 star hotel and I'd say that's what we got. I think this is the first hotel that I've stayed in, where the main entry/lounge area was actually used by folks to sit and talk. They did have the evening wine hour, which was very nice and folks were certainly there for that, but even at other hours, folks would just seem to gather. It was nice.
1) Beds - nice linens. Comfy, although a bit firmer than I typically like. Lots and varied pillows so I found ones I liked easily.

2) Bathroom - It's an older hotel that's been completely redone, but that doesn't necessarily change the size of the bathroom. It's a typical size not too large and not too small. Sink was modern and really cool. It had awesome soap, etc. One plus was that it did not have a noisy bath fan. One negative was that there didn't seem to be any fan at all, so it got very steamy in the bath.

3) TV and outlets - TV was HUGE flatscreen. Nice picture. But the service to browse the guide, etc was really, really slow. I was able to hook up a fire-stick and watch netflix on my own, which was good. There were a decent number of room outlets, conveniently placed, but it always seems like there could be more, no matter where I stay. Wifi was great for me.

4) It was super quiet. I mean, next to silent at night. The weather was such that the heater/cooling never really turned on, so that certainly helped. But I mean I never really heard anyone in the hall or from other rooms at all.

5) Room darkening was excellent. Well above average. Virtually pitch black at night.

6) We didn't use room service, but the attached restaurant was nice. I did not use or even view the fitness area or the pool (which I think was outside and it was cold outside). The doormen and concierge as well as front desk staff were all extremely efficient and easy to work with. We stored our bags on our last day so that we could sightsee after checking out.

7) The location is awesome. A couple blocks to the Metro, and there must be 30 restaurants within 3 blocks. There seems to be a bar or place to eat every other door. It's only a bit over a mile to the white house, so we even walked that a couple times during the stay.

8) the only potential negative is that they want to charge you a daily "resort fee" or some other name that can totally change the price of the hotel. I booked a hot-rate from one site and this was a charge in addition to that fee. Normally you get this waived if you are part of their rewards program, but not for when you book through another vendor. So, keep that in mind. They waived it for me when I told them I thought it was unfair (since I am a member of their program and thought the waiver should still apply)

Room Tip: Our room was right next to the elevator, but I still was unable to hear any noise at all.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family