“Spare of the Moment Labor Day Trip”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #39 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 September 2009

My husband and I decided to get away for part of the Labor Day weekend and drive down to DC to see some of the exhibits at the Galleries. We haven't been there for about a year. We like the smaller, boutique hotels. When I checked TripAdvisor, I was pleased to see Hotel Palomar so highly rated. I've been a member of their loyalty plan since its inception. When I travel on my own, I like their hotels. They are friendly to woman travelers and the hotels are usually hip and fashionable. I also liked the location of the Palomar. The reviews were good so I reserved a deluxe king. I recieved an email with the option to upgrade to a larger room with a spa bathroom for very little extra. I agreed to do that. I also have a profile that states I prefer high floors away from elevators. When we arrived we were dissapointed to learn that no upgrade was available. We were told the hotel was sold out for the night. The room we were assigned was immediately in front of the elevator and not on a high floor! So much for my profile! When we went downstairs to complain, all of a sudden an upgrade was available, but not yet cleaned. We were willing to wait. And this one was on the top floor! When we returned from lunch this one still wasn't ready, So we went for a long walk. When we returned it still wasn;t ready so they gave us another one on a lower floor. Now they had two upgrades! Wow, when we first got there they had none. Our upgrade ended up being free, we paid our original reserved price, when we were willing to pay more. I would have paid the extra price, felt better about an honest hotel and enjoyed my time at the musuem rather than wasting time waiting for a room. The entire afternoon was wasted and we never got to the museum that day. We appreciated the upgrade. The room was lovely. It just set the wrong tone to the weekend.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2009

Hello LindaII,

Thanks for thinking of us during your last minute spare of the moment trip to Washington DC over Labor Day weekend. I am glad that you were able to check on TripAdvisor then make your decision. That’s what this is all about. It is a great way to gain feedback about the hotel. Thank you for visiting and come back again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,527)

Reviewed 8 September 2009

I loved everything about this hotel, from the decor (contemporary) to the location (Dupont Circle-easy to get to sights via Metro) to the helpfulness of the staff (gave us advice and directions daily) to the free daily happy hour (can't go wrong with free booze) to the cleanliness (spotless bathrooms) . Would definitely recommend it. Also stayed at the Palomar in LA recently and had a similar experience.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple

Hello Sek86,

Thanks for staying with us. I am glad that you loved everything about our hotel from the décor, location to the staff. Everyone will be pleased that they were able to make your stay memorable. Please come back again soon!

Reviewed 6 September 2009

The hotel is kept well and in modern deco. Rooms are comfy, clean and well equipped. We were surprised that there was even a swimming pool. Good location too at the heart of Dupond Circle. No hassle at all, very pleased.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Hello lwang,

Thanks for staying with us. I am glad that you liked the modern décor and the rooms. I hope that you were able to make use of the pool too. Please come back again soon!

Reviewed 6 September 2009

This was definitely a five star experience for the price of a four star hotel. Located five minutes from Dupont Circle the location is great. As for the hotel, the rooms are huge (over 600 square feet) and beautifully appointed as is the bathroom. There are also lots of extras including leopard print bathrobes, turn-down service, daily papers, etc. What truly impressed though was the personalized care. Upon arrival I was greeting with a personal note and snack welcoming be to another Kimpton Hotel (I had stayed at another previously). And, while I was less than happy with the staff member at check in the rest were great. Moreover, and this says everything about the hotel, a day after submitting an online survey noting this I received an email apology from the manager. I never expect a response or even action from those surveys but the people beyond this hotel seem to really care about the experience of their guests. They've fully earned my high praise here and I'll definitely be returning!
Also, it's a pet friendly hotel but if, like me, you suffer from allergies, they have non-pet floors.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business

I am glad that we provided 5 star experience for a 4 star hotel. I see that what stood out was the personalized care you received. This is a hallmark of our hotel. I am sorry about your check in was less desirable but I am glad the other managers were responsive. Thank you for staying and please come back again.

Reviewed 2 September 2009

We had different choices but I wanted to try the KIMPTON since everybody seems to rave about it and I never managed to stay in one despite our extensive travels (see other reviews).
First of all, they do rate themselves as kid friendly - besides the ONE Wii in the lobby during wine hour (only 5-6pm if you happen to be in the hotel)
there were absolutely no sign of kids friendliness - it certainly is PET friendly.
No COOKIES, no HI how are you upon check-in, no crayons in URBANA-NOTHING!
We liked:
*Great Location. Right off Dupont circle, it is a beautiful neighborhood with great restaurants nearby
*Hotel room is nicely decorated and spacious, we stayed in QUEEN Deluxe.

Customer Service mostly not evident:
* EXEC King Cat was booked, paid $ 30 more than for the 2 Queen Beds Deluxe upon booking. In a phone conversation w/ front desk before arrival I was assured to get EXEC King w/ an add cot in our room upon arrival. When we arrived we were told to be much more comfortable in the Queen Room (guess they were fully booked on the EXC King) - when I enquired about the add charge I had paid upon booking I was told the rates do flucuate the whole time and the diff would be only $ 10.00 - which of course still was not adjusted upon check out! When insisting on the booked room category we were reluctantly led to a room RIGHT across from the elevator w/ a connecting door w/ a loud BARKING DOG on the other side - of course we then decided to stay in the Queen Room instead of. When we requested a cot we were told policy is to pay $ 25.00 EXTRA - I could not believe it. When we booked the Queen Room was $ 30 less than the Exec KING - I booked (and paid) the King, got the Queen and they asked for EXTRA fees??? Very unprofessional...
* Second morning loud drilling noise woke us up - front desk told us some work has to be done close to our room. The mgr offered finally free bfst and a drink which was appreciated. However, considering the struggle with our room category we felt there should be more compensation
*The pool was in a nice setting but very small; life-guard was reading his book the whole time never paying any attention to the kids in the pool. When I asked him if the chairs are all in use (seemed people had left w/out taking their towels) he responded that it's not his job to remove them - is it mine? ...and continued reading

* Lighting is HORRIBLE.;besides the bathroom, the light was dark and dingy - no light in the closet - had to pull the suitcase out everytime I needed something.
* Read about the extras for kids - no complimentary cookie/ milk also it would have ben a nice gesture for our 2 children.

The hotel is hip and we liked the decor; however, with great deals on third party websites we certainly could have done better in a 4* chain hotel with adequate service in the same area for less money.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Thomas_Fraher, Hotel Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2009

Prior to viewing this TripAdvisor posting, the Hotel Palomar reached out to borntoexplore to offer an apology for the issues encountered during the stay and has provided a refund for a portion of the stay. We appreciate all guest feedback as it provides the Hotel Palomar DC with the information needed to improve upon the services we provide.

Thomas Fraher