“Extraordinarily noisy rooms, mediocre service.”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #33 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Montclair, New Jersey
“Extraordinarily noisy rooms, mediocre service.”
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I was really surprised by my experience at the Palomar DC given the TA ratings. I'm a frequent business traveler and stay at a lot of Kimpton hotels, and my experience has generally been that the Palomars are the nicest among the Kimpton properties. Unfortunately, not so this time.

I'll preface this by saying that I had a cold when I was staying at this hotel--so while I'm not someone who's generally hypersensitive about hotel noise, I guess it's possible I may have been a bit more noise-sensitive than usual. In any case, I really needed to get a good night of sleep.

I checked into my spacious room on a middle floor and was initially pleased--it was clean, in good condition, and attractively furnished. However, when I returned from an evening meeting I was unhappy to find that there was an intermittent loud banging noise (like someone in the adjacent room nailing something into the wall) every few minutes. I called the front desk, and they said there wasn't any maintenance happening on that floor and they didn't know what the noise was.

So they moved me to a room on the 2nd floor. The move was handled poorly by the bellman they sent (who disappeared for >20 minutes with the keys) and was an inconvenience--I would have been much better off if they'd just given me the keys and let me move myself.

So there I was, in my new room on the 2nd floor. The room was in fact practically at ground level, facing the sidewalk, and there was significant street noise. On top of that, people in the hallway quite literally sounded like they were in my room and speaking at high volume. On top of *that*, there was a frequent sound from overhead like a chair being scraped loudly across a floor. I sat there trying to convince myself that the noise wasn't so bad because frankly, I was embarrassed to complain again--but it was that bad.

So I called the front desk again. They were not particularly apologetic for all the inconvenience, but did move me to a corner room on a high floor (I insisted on moving myself this time). That room had a poor layout with an extremely cramped bathroom, but it was (finally!) a quiet room and I was able to sleep.

I previously had a fabulous stay at the Hotel Monaco, another DC Kimpton hotel, and already have plans to stay there again. However, I won't be visiting the Palomar DC again despite my frequent DC visits. Disappointing experience.

Room Tip: Avoid 2nd floor rooms facing the street, unless you're an exhibitionist and you enjoy street noi...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Kate3671
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Dear Kate3671,

Thank you so much for offering your honest feedback about your recent stay with us and thank you for being a Kimpton Fan!

I am sorry you experienced so many issues. From the noise, passing by the issue with your the room move all the way to the indifference of the staff. You can rest assure that we certainly don't pride ourselves to operate that way. I will be sure to share your survey with the entire team and use your experience as a coaching tool.

Next time you are in town, I hope you will give us a second chance. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will make sure we take care of you. It is the least we can do.

Stephane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Irvine, California
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I don't have too much to say. The location is ideal. It's just about a block or so away from the Dupont Circle metro exit and has a number of decent restaurants and cafes nearby for quick bites if you don't feel like venturing more than a couple blocks (I didn't eat at the hotel, but next time I definitely will, it seemed nice). The design of the hotel is unique (like most Kimpton hotels) and helps make the hotel seem more luxurious than the nightly rate would lead you to believe. And perhaps most importantly, the staff are extremely genuine and attentive. It's never been easier to check in/check out/leave luggage for the day, etc.

Perfect.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martin H
Dear Martin H,

Thank you so much for the great review! I will be sure to share it with the staff. We hope to seeing you again soon.

Layton, Utah
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I was in DC on business for a week, stayed 4 nights at the Palomar DC near Dupont Circle.

Great hotel located within easy walking distance of the metro. Check-in was a breeze, staff was efficient and friendly. I was upgraded to a king suite on a high floor. Become an In-Touch member, you get free wi-fi, honor bar credits, and the occasional upgrade. Well worth it.

Room was spotless and very large. Windows didn't have much a view, but I didn't come to DC to stare longingly out windows or anything. Bathroom was large, had a seperate tub and shower. Water pressure in the shower was great, a rarity in DC. Bed was rediculously comfrotable.

I booked a deal that included breakfast, and it was very good. Sure, it was the usual eggs, pastries, juice, fruit, etc but done the Kimpton way, ie fresh, good ingredients. Get breakfast if you can. Worth it. They also have to-go coffee and hot chocolate that you can take on your way out in the morning in the lobby.

I appreciated that the staff recognized me over the duration of the week, usually calling me by name as I returned to the hotel.

Highly recommended. I seek out Kimpton properties for their cleanliness and efficiency, and the Palomar was no exception. I will return.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We had the spa king room. Perfect room with two TV's, size was over 700 square feet. The staff was incredible from the front desk, bellman, and concierge. The hotel is in a great location just off of Dupont circle. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012
Rio de Janeiro - Brasil
Reviewed 31 January 2012

The hotel has great rooms is modern, clean and great location
The rooms are spacious with free internet.
The negative point was the service, not so friendly.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Dear Alexandre1008,

Ouch - Sounds like we fell short of the mark. I am sorry! You should always receive the level of service you expect during your stay with us.

If there is anything I can do to assist further, please do not hesitate to contact me. I hope you will come and see us again Alexandre1008.