“Great boutique hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Great boutique hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

This is a great boutique hotel in a nice area of Washington DC. It is walking distance of a lot of shopping, Dupont Circle, good restaurants, etc.
The beds are very big and comfortable. The bathroom it's a bit small but then how much you spend in the bathroom... Front desk staff was attentive and friendly.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Hi Bella1207,

Thanks for posting a reviewing Topaz here on Tripadvisor! I love our beds so much I bought one for my apartment. So, I completely agree, they're VERYcomfortable. It's great to read that you liked the location and that everyone was nice, too! Come back again soon.

Donte

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

I like this place. Situated in a safe and beautiful neighbourhood, near to the main attractions of Washington DC.

The hotel has a eco and pet friendly policy which makes it feel all the more welcoming as most guests look happy staying here. I like the room: clean, thoughtful (with a dressing room), minisize bar, and huge flat screen tv and a good view of the neighbourhood. Our room had a king sized bed which was super big and tall which took up a big space in the room. It was luxurious to sleep in but preferring space (since we were three sharing a room), a queen size Bed would suffice. Usd1 breakfast was cool and a cozy touch to the whole experience. I would definitely return!

• Stayed April 2012
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

We were unhappy with our two-star hotel choice in DC and when we were walking back and saw the Kimpton sign decided to take a look. Kelly at the front desk was very nice and offered us a room for $30 a night less than the other terrible hotel! We jumped at it and moved our things immediately. We were really glad that we did because the room was twice as large and there was a bathtub to soak in instead of a small shower. The free wine bar every night is a wonderful feature as you can meet other guests and relax. We have stayed at many Kimton hotels and the Topaz is equally beautiful. It is in a great location close to Dupont Circle and I know we will stay there again.

1 Thank Richard N
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

Stayed here while accompanying my husband on business. Rooms are ok, and location good.
Breakfast not included (was last time) and to buy it is a rip off (use one of the many alternatives in the area). Our key had to be reset every night. Someone dropped chewing gum on the floor (2 places - disgusting), dirty towels were left in the room, body lotion not refilled. Big sign on door next to our room saying ice – door locked.
Valet parking as expensive as The Mayflower – and can we agree not same hotel standard. My husband who travels to DC on business regularly will not return, just not up to par.

4 Thank L A
Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

I've had the chance to stay at three of the Kimpton properties in DC, the Monaco, Topaz and Palomar - the last two back to back this week. The Topaz has really friendly staff and a great location, but I had a series of small snags that took a bit of the shine off my experience.

First the pluses. This is a fairly small hotel with a "boutique" vibe. The staff really goes out if their way to be useful, friendly and engaging. It was impressive how they handled an irritated guest when I was waiting in the lobby. Bed was comfortable and room was large, if very odd shaped. I loved the fluffy towels. I always enjoy the usual Kimpton amenities for their members in the guest reward program (free wifi, wine/happy hour, etc.)

On the down side - poor TV reception (does anyone else look forward to HBO when on the road?), aircon not working properly, no tea restocking (when the tea/teapot is part of the "hotel's story"), no bathmat one day, missing wastebasket the next. The vent in the bathroom could stand to be dusted! Overall, it was rather odd, to be frank, and not my usual experience of Kimpton properties. And the staff tried hard to rectified it and I appreciated that.

I enjoyed a light dinner at the Moroccan themed bar. Good veggie options. Skip the buffet breakfast and go next door to the Tabard Inn or walk down to Connecticut ave for other options. While I love chocolate, m&ms and yogurt, sweet rolls and a bit of fruit does not bode well for a healthy start! ;-) (Hey, Topaz, add some hard boiled eggs and then you have a good proposition!) No green or herbal tea available. The little bar/restaurant area is pretty crowded when there is a group (like ours.)

I stayed my last night at the Palomar - while bigger, more bustling and thus a bit noisier I personally liked the rooms better. But as with all things, we have our personal preferences.

1 Thank choconancy