“Hip spot, crafty food & nice wine list”
Review of Dish

Dish
Reserve with OpenTable
Dish is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #363 of 3,559 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$12 - US$35
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End
Cross street: Between "I" & "K"
Transit: 2 blocks from Foggy Bottom Metro Station at 23rd & "I"
Reviewed 30 March 2017 via mobile

Came here on a Thursday evening with my mother. What a great night we had compliments of Keith behind the bar & the ambiance within.
We started off ordering a bottle of Malbec & Keith said he'd have something else I might enjoy. I agreed so long as it wasn't over $50/bottle. He brought out a Spanish red & it was soft & smooth like a Malbec but the finish had a kick - I enjoyed it!
We were served two types of bread before our meal came out & both were good. We split the butternut squash soup & fried green tomatoes. The flavor & consistency of the soup was great, there was a hint of a smiley flavor to the soup & it wasn't too loose, almost hearty. The fried green tomatoes were crispy & served over a very thin layer of sauce & topped with arugula & crispy bacon bits. I only wish there was more sauce! For the main dish were split the scallops as it is Keith's favorite dish. The scallops were on top of a creamy risotto with truffle oil covered spinach. The spinach combined with the risotto was a delight on the palette. One of the scallops was fishy & Keith took $10 off our final bill because of it.
Our overall dining experience was great & the interaction with the staff made it even more enjoyable.

Reviewed 26 March 2017

This is a restaurant in a hotel, which is often a signal for "OK" food at hotel prices.

We found Dish to be better than this. The service was friendly and efficient. The restaurant, whilst busy, still allowed you to conduct a conversation with friends. The food was tasty, prepared as requested and offered generous portions. The wine list was interesting and varied, offering most wines by the glass. I thought the pricing was more than reasonable.

Is this the finest restaurant in Washington, no it is not, but it delivered a very good meal, with attentive service for a fair price.

I would be happy to return.

Reviewed 23 March 2017

We were guests in the wonderful River Inn. While the staff at the restaurant and hotel were wonderful, the restaurant was just average. We ate here for lunch one day and had room service breakfast another day. On both instances, the food was just okay, not great. It was nice to have the option to have a restaurant in the hotel and to have room service available, I just wish the food had been a little better and the menu a little broader, especially given the cost.

Reviewed 12 March 2017

A small restaurant oriented towards the guests at The River Inn, the hotel that houses the restaurant. Open for all 3 meals, best for dinner, satisfactory for breakfast, did not try lunch. The evening bar-tender, Keith, is smart, funny, opinionated and knowledgeable. He has good recommendations for both wine and food and is a funny "wise guy". We ate breakfast 4 days...decent but nothing special. Dinner on our last night - after eating out at high-end places for 3 days - was rewarding....solid food and drink, low key eating at the bar, and very satisfactory, with no fuss. Sort of like eating at home for comfort....with better food.

1  Thank Superchief1944
Reviewed 9 March 2017

I had a delicious steak - perfectly cooked, followed by a very nice chocolate dessert. Wine selection is adequate. However, sitting at the bar I found myself joined by a couple of uninvited guests in the form of two cockroaches :-(