“With added Cabaret!”
Review of Cafe Berlin

Cafe Berlin
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Berlin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #107 of 3,506 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: German, Central European, International
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between 3rd & 4th
Transit: Union Station on the red line is only 3 short blocks away.
Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

We were looking for a late lunch after visiting the Capitol area and found this listing on TA. The cafe is about ten minutes walk from the visitor centre, passing through 1st St - 4th St on the East side. We were welcomed in by Shon who was a delight throughout the meal. Inside the decor was functional rather than extravagant but in our experience that is authentic German. The meal was a fusillade of tasty dishes for both meat eaters and vegetarians in our party, with of course the veal and chicken Snitzels the prime salvo. Desserts were also very good and gobbled up. We didn’t try the German beers and instead stuck to white wine which was good enough to order a second bottle. Overall it was a bit pricey but definitely one of the best meals we had in DC. Shon was very entertaining and offered helpful tourist advice for the rest of our stay. Would definitely go back

2  Thank Jeremy O

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Looking for a cozy lunch or dinner spot on Capitol Hill that dishes up tasty European fare without breaking the bank? Cafe Berlin is an excellent choice! My husband and I had a dinner reservation on a very busy Saturday night. Despite the restaurant being crowded, the wait staff were very friendly, courteous, and patient, taking time to offer up beverage recommendations and teach us the correct pronunciation of dishes like kasespatzle, which I ordered. My entree (basically the German version of mac & cheese topped with crispy fried onions) hit the spot - the ultimate comfort food to satisfy my hunger after a long day of walking all over DC. My husband ordered the Wiener schnitzel with red cabbage (rotkohl) and a savory bread dumpling (bretzelknodel) and very much enjoyed his whole meal. Can't wait to go back and dine on the lovely patio when the weather is warmer!

Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

I would have given 5 stars but they were out of corned beef, so no Reuben, and the turkey sandwich came on rye even though we asked for white -- they were out of white, too. Because my friend hated rye, they took it off the bill. The ambience is decidedly lacking. Having said all that, my weinerschnitzel, potatoes, and spetzle were all very good. The waiter was knowledgeable about beer and recommended something that turned out to be excellent.

1  Thank CCR1138
Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Having once lived in Berlin, I was hoping for a great specialty, the Currywurst. But what I got for $8 was a white sausage, not red, with bland curry ketchup. My son got an OK cup of goulash for $5. The best part of the meal was the cold and frothy Warsteiner beers in half liter mugs for $8. We sat outside on a sunny day, so I don’t know what the inside looks like.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

Wonderful restaurant with excellent German cuisine. The waiter was excellent in describing all the usual entrees (schnitzel, sausages & sauerbraten) plus several specials. I opted for the wild boar stew which had great flavor. The other entrees also looked good and were enjoyed. The waiter also described their good selection of German beers which we sampled and found pleasing. We finished with dessert which was also excellent. Reminded us of being in Berlin with our daughter and son-in-law several years ago. Just a short walk from the Capitol & Union Station.