“Nice food quite location”
Review of Bistro d'Oc - CLOSED

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Reviewed 15 May 2016 via mobile

Located opposite the Ford Theatre this is a good location. We each had a French onion soup which I highly recommend, quite tasty with good bread accompanying. My wife had a prawn Risotto which was nice but tasted quite strong/intense. My large steak was cooked perfectly. The only problem we had was an early mix up with only one soup being served initially, probably a language issue that could easily be solved by the waiter reading back the initial order to the customer worth a visit.

2  Thank FalconerIV

Reviewed 25 April 2016

Ambled in here on a rainy Saturday and sat at the bar, kind of curious about all
of the old French photos and red, faux painted walls. Being right across from Ford's Theater, it's pretty easy to find. Fresh Spring peas, asparagus, frisee and smoky vignarette hit the spot. The homemade pate' was stellar, though ask for more toast,
The other salads were very tasty, too. Had some bubbly, French white and a few cocktails. All were really good. Will def. come back for dinner, especially because
the quality was there in all we were served, minus the occasionally snooty French 'tude.

Reviewed 18 April 2016

We were wandering around DC looking for a place to eat and found this bistro. Quirky menu, great food and friendly service. Went back a few days later for lunch and it was just as good.

1  Thank peterjK24UD
Reviewed 17 April 2016

I really wanted to love this restaurant. I've been to fantastic French restaurants all over the world, and this one had decent reviews, so I looked forward to it all day. And then it broke my heart...

Contrary to some of the negative reviews, I thought the service was prompt and friendly. No complaints there. The ambiance was nice, loved the decor. Expectations early on were still high.

First eye brow raise: despite branding themselves as a wine bar, they only had about 6 wines available by the glass (3 white, 3 red). I mean, come'on folks, I know dive bars with a better wine selection.

Second: the menu I saw online in no way resembled the one at the restaurant, and there is no tartare on the menu. Fair enough, restaurants change items, there's no law saying French places must serve tartare, but it was disappointing. They were also out of their famed risotto, again disappointing, but I was prepared to forgive.

Third: I ordered a smoked salmon brioche for my appetizer. On the plus side, the salmon was delicious. However, I can't credit the restaurant at all. The dish was a slab of yummy salmon with toasted wonder bread and celery coleslaw. The salmon carried it, but the restaurant basically just placed it in a plate...

The kicker: ok, so they were out of the risotto, but the rainbow trout came with "bliss potatoes" and I thought, "if anyone can do a good potato, it's the French" and started to get hopeful. Yeah...so based on taste and texture I can guarantee you that those potatoes were microwaved to dining temperature. You know that funny taste that microwaved foods get? And the mealy dry texture of a microwave reheated potato? Yeah...so that. Which I might have ignored if I were at a cheap diner or my grandmas house, but for the price Bistro D'Oc charges, my food should not get anywhere near a microwave.

The trout was ok, but not great. But for the price, it should have been phenomenal. Not the least bit worth it. For the same price I could have had 6 delicious tacos at Oyamel and each one would have blown my mind. #regrets

Dessert: they had a special creme brûlée, and once again I thought, "the French are good at this" and ordered with high hopes. I look forward to cracking the top crust with my spoon, and generally expect my creme to have been brûléed fresh to order. This was cold enough for me to assume the whole thing was pre-made and simply taken out of a fridge and thrown on my plate. I'm a kind of chubby girl, so it's a sad, sad day when
I don't want to finish a custard...

Bottom line: this is the most expensive meal I have had in the DC area, but it was also the most disappointing. Save yourself about $20 and find somewhere else that will blow your mind, because this place is simply mediocre.

2  Thank Laura J
Reviewed 13 April 2016

Old style French bistro in a 200 year old building. Warm, friendly, great food. Enjoy a leisurely meal as there is a small but attentive wait staff.

1  Thank Christopher C