“Facinating trip through historic persons” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Occidental Grill

Occidental Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Occidental Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #101 of 3,182 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$25 - US$50
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 14th
Transit: Metrocenter 13 & F
Description: Occidental Grill & Seafood is a DC dining institution just steps from the White House, with a history dating back more than 110 years. This iconic gathering place combines legendary staying power with a constantly evolving, cutting-edge menu that takes a fresh and current approach to classic American cuisine.
Falls Church, Virginia
“Facinating trip through historic persons”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

We were fortunate to hit the Occidental during DC Restaurant Week- offering set 3 course meals for a bargain, and took advantage of the opportunity to peruse an obvious historic icon.
Waiter was VERY kind and helpful, being patient with our decisions and personable with our service. Food was all delicious.
The fascinating walls, completely covered with photos, many signed, of various famous persons throughout history who have presumably visited the restaurant. You could look at them for hours- to see if you can recognize or guess or even read the inscriptions on some, although some have faded over the years. Former presidents, astronauts, authors, and countless others who have shaped our country and the world are represented, some portrayed much younger than their iconic images of popular history. What a beautiful view!

Visited January 2012
1 Thank Michelle M

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Alexandria VA
“The quintessential DC room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

Two friends and I visited the Occidental Grill during Restaurant Week. What a great place -- located in the Willard Hotel, just yards from the White House, a wood paneled, multi-leveled room with black and white photos of long-gone movers and shakers. You could be nowhere else but DC. Restaurant week choices were varied and uniformly delicious - small portions but so good that you are still satisfied. Decent wines by the glass and bottle, for reasonable prices. And a great and reasonably priced Scotch to start. Great service. Prices are certainly higher on the regular menu, but I will be back. If you are looking for a iconic Washington experience and venue, go here!

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank SBS50
Knoxville, Tennessee
“A delicious accidental experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

I had hours to kill before meeting a friend of mine later in the evening. But it was 1:30 on a Friday and I was HUNGRY. For steak. Specifically. So I pulled out the trusty smartphone and did a restaurant search. A steakhouse near The White House came up so I headed that way.

And that's when I fell upon the Willard Intercontinental. And the Cafe du Parc. A note on the window asked me to go around to the other side. Unfortunately for them, I couldn't find the entrance. Fortunately for the Occidental Grill, I found theirs.

I had never heard of this place, but I had heard of the hotel. And the lunch menu seemed great -- good solid food at reasonable (albeit steakhouse-type) prices. So I wandered in and was immediately taken care of. Warm, inviting, helpful - immediately found me a cozy booth on the top tier. The view looked down on the rest of the restaurant and Pennsylvania Avenue.

As an added bonus, it was Restaurant Week. So a typical lunch that would run you $50+ with wine was only $30+. I had a grilled shrimp appetizer, followed by a filet and finished with a creme brûlée. All accompanied by a delicious Pinot Noir that was by far the most expensive item on the bill but so worth it.

The service was spotty but I did come during restaurant week and around 1:30, so I can probably chalk it up to that. I was left alone a lot, which is normally fine, but when your water runs dry and no one fills it and then your wine runs dry and no one asks if you want more, it's a problem. The table next to me was seated an hour after me and had very attentive service. I can only assume it was because they were a couple and they were the LAST lunch seating of the day (literally -- they were prepping for dinner at that point).

In the end, I was so happy to have stumbled upon the Occidental right at the exact moment I needed to. It met all of my needs and then some. Highly recommended.

Silver Spring, Maryland
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

I went for dinner before going to the theatre. The food and service was very good. I also loved the athmosphere. It is a very historical restaurant, over 100 years old. There were pictures of all the famous people on the walls, and dark wood all around. It has a unique
feel to it, and it feels great to sit in an historical restaurant. In the summer you can sit outside in the patio. I would defenately go back again.

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great change of pace”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

When you are sight seeing, you can only eat so many hot dogs! We were at the Smithsonian and needed a break from all the tourists, so we headed for the Occidental for lunch. While it was way over budget for us, it was a worthy splurge; the food was excellent, service impeccable and a fun, not stuffy place to be. While they don't have a children menu, the waiter told us they had chicken tenders and pasta for the kids. Way to go, we loved it!

• Visited December 2011