“Very Italian, very busy”

Filomena Ristorante - Georgetown
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Georgetown
Cross street: M Street
Transit: Every ten minutes, from 7 a.m. to midnight, ride the Georgetown Metro Connection. Ridership is open to everyone! Picking up from the Rosslyn and Dupont Circle metro stations every ten minutes makes getting to Georgetown quick and easy.
Description: Filomena Now over 40 Years and counting!Filomena is a Washington DC landmark restaurant now with over 40 years of serving some of the finest Italian food you can enjoy. Our Pasta is fresh made by hand just like it was done for centuries in Italy. Our bakery is in-house, and we make over 20 different desserts to choose from. During Valentine's Day, Easter, Halloween and Christmas you can experience some of the most incredible decorations you can find! Four decades of making not just a great dining experience but a memorable one. Filomena has recently introduced a full line of homemade pasta, sauces, desserts that can be shipped nationwide too!
Reviewed 24 June 2016

Very busy with tourists and locals alike, charming waiter, who actually wasn't Italian. Food very rich and very American size portions so go there hungry if you want to really enjoy. Generous amounts of fish, puddings very good too.

Reviewed 24 June 2016

this restaurant was wonderful! went on my birthday. treated very well. from the moment we walked in it was perfect. make sure you have reservations well in advance of your trip, atmosphere, wine, food, wait staff, Dino the maitre d were all wonderful. you can dress up or be casual to eat here. this is true italian food, even the ladies making pasta in the window!

Reviewed 23 June 2016

Upon arriving at Filomena for a late reservation with kids, I was reminded of the Yogi Berra comment of "Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded." Yes, it was packed on a Tuesday night at 9:30, but there is a reason. the food was exceptional. To start with, I am probably the world's biggest critic of calamari. 99% of restaurants serve rubbery, fried calamari and I was going to show my kids that calamari prepared in red sauce was far superior to fried calamari. WRONG. To be sure, the calamari in the red sauce was excellent, but so was the fried stuff. So much for a teaching moment. Other superb apps included stuffed mushrooms and bruschetta. We ordered 7 entrees that were all excellent, from the homemade meatballs and sausage to the veal and seafood dishes, it was all terrific. Dessert of Tres Leche and the complimentary after-dinner drinks topped off a wonderful dinner. Way to go, Filomena!

1  Thank 1goirish
Reviewed 23 June 2016 via mobile

Saw tv review on Travel channel and happy with our experience. You will see the Mama making the noted homemade pasta. We read reviews that it is very noisy for dinner but we went for lunch and it was perfect.
Impressed with the romantic ambiance. Portions are deliciously large. You cannot leave without trying their infamous cakes. Note, large enough to share. You won't be disappointed with the attentive professional service.

Reviewed 23 June 2016

I was in town for the weekend and a friend of mine recommended this restaurant to me. I showed up for dinner on a Sunday without a reservation and the place was packed. I overheard the maître d' tell someone in front of me that they'd have a 3-hour wait...not good. I must have had a pleading look on my face because he was able to seat me (party of one) immediately. The staff, food, atmosphere...excellent!!! The portions are huge. Just go...you won't regret it! :-)

Date of visit: May 2016