“DC Business Trip”

Taberna del Alabardero Washington D.C
Ranked #98 of 3,553 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$50 - US$80
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Dupont Circle
Cross street: I Street
Transit: Farragut West Metro Station or Farragut North
Description: Taberna Del Alabardero is an award-winning restaurant of authentic Spanish cuisine recognized for creating innovative dishes that rise from the evolution of tradition. Taberna’s seasonal menus feature fresh tapas, luscious paellas, flavorful sangrias, and vegan and gluten-free options, which are created by Executive Chef Javier Cuesta. As the best Spanish restaurant outside of Spain, Taberna Del Alabardero creates the finest authentic Spanish dining experience in the country.
Reviewed 26 September 2016

In summary, elegant fine-dining with panache!
The tuxedo-clad fantastic service staff served fantastically-presented delicious cuisine. Clearly, this is a scene to-be seen, with power-brokers surrounding us, the beautiful restaurant had multiple options; outside white-tablecloth dining, lovely great-room (again white tablecloth) dining and semi-private with sumptuous surroundings dining, and I'm certain there must be private rooms as well.

1  Thank Tamela C

Reviewed 26 September 2016 via mobile

We went in response to a FB notice about the suckling pig special, Sunday was only weekend slot available. I have been before. The setting is spectacular, the service is regal, the Manzanilla perfect, as were all four of our desserts and the included Tempranillo. One of our party remarked on the phenomenal bread and was presented with a bagful when we left. What's not to like? The cochinillo. Four people and we all received the shoulderand ribs...no loin or ham, that's okay but it was pretty long in the oven and dried out. I was disappointed. We all were. And the vegetable accompaniment was onions. Just onions. We loved the evening and will be back, but maybe not for the suckling pig.

2  Thank MikefromThelake
Taberna A, General Manager at Taberna del Alabardero Washington D.C, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2016

Dear Mikeform,

Thank you for your recent 5 stars review. We are glad you liked the restaurant and service but sad about your experience with our Cochinillo special. I am sorry we felt short and were not able to accommodate your preferences. I just hope you would return so we can better assist you and offer you the best cochinillo in town.

You could contact me directly for your next visit at :
-javier.perez@alabardero.com

JP

Reviewed 22 September 2016

We have visited this grand establishment several times during the last decade. The ambiance is always elegant, the service very good, but the food, the main reason that brings customers to most restaurants, was well below expectations.
The jamon serrano was average, the chistorras excellent. The wine great, but the main courses left us disappointed. I shared the arroz negro with a friend and it lacked taste and gusto. The cochinillo was also lackluster.
Overall the food left a lot to be desired. Our general opinion is that if you pretend to be a stellar Spanish restaurant in Washington, DC, you need to do a lot better.

1  Thank Manuel V
Taberna A, General Manager at Taberna del Alabardero Washington D.C, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2016

Dear Manuel V

Thank you for your frank and valuable feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to share your experience and we will review these two particular food dishes with our culinary team . We are sorry we fell short of your expectations and hope to have an opportunity to extend our hospitality in the future.

Javier Perez

Reviewed 14 September 2016 via mobile

Wonderful, delicious, luxurious, divine, these all name the fantastically epic meal my husband and I ate last night there for our wedding anniversary. The staff were all so polite and helpful and the ambience of the place was wonderful.
As for the food there truly was nothing I could fault. The tomato olive oil starter soup was amazing and I've never eaten anything like it.
The suckling pig was out of this world and the paella divine.
Washed down with sangria and their own Pina colada dessert I was comfortable full.
The card and beautiful Happy anniversary plate with sweets was a beautiful touch along with the glass of champagne it made our night extra special.
Thank you so much- we will be back again next time we're in DC.

1  Thank D P
Reviewed 13 September 2016

After reading so many good reviews, I was very excited to try this restaurant. It is cozy and charming inside but I was not impressed by either service or food.
We ordered several tapas and paella. Food on the menu looked enticing and we enjoyed choosing what to eat but when it came on the plate, nothing looked that appetizing at all. There was too much sauce on the potato dish - it would look nicer and serve better with the sauce on the side. The color palette of the dishes was sometimes bizarre. They could seriously improve the presentation. Seafood paella had big pieces of lobster but the taste was simply one note and lacked the depth. It did not taste nearly as good as the one I had in Spain. Overall, food was just average and boring. Considering how much we paid, it is not worth it and I would not recommend unless somebody else is paying for you.

1  Thank Papgena
Taberna A, General Manager at Taberna del Alabardero Washington D.C, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2016

Dear Papgena,

Thank you for your honesty in sharing your impression of our menu. Your thoughts and ideas are all good ones and will be reviewed with our team. We are sorry we fell short of your expectations and hope to have an opportunity to extend our hospitality in the future.

Regards,