“Fantastic location”

Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC
Ranked #15 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 April 2012

This hotel is a great location for sightseeing around the Mall but not much else going on in the area, especially on the weekends. Bathroom is huge and the housekeeping staff kept the room impeccable. The rest of the staff was just average and waiting for service in the lobby bar was kind of annoying.
Coffee and tea are in the lobby for breakfast.
While the hotel is clean and comfortable, it's really expensive without being luxurious so I probably won't stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
MO_Washington, Public Relations Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Dear "KingTaco,"

Many thanks for taking the time to post about your recent stay! We appreciate your comments and will share them with the entire team to provide the best experience for you, upon your return, and all of our guests for the future.

Safe travels,

Reviewed 23 April 2012

fantastic hotel. beautiful. great service, service, service. restaurant is a little slow.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
MO_Washington, Public Relations Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Dear "GHyun,"

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay! Your commentary, while short, to-the-point and succinct, is very helpful in helping us address some areas of improvement.

Safe travels and all our thanks,

Reviewed 19 April 2012

I had a business trip here a few months ago and it was great. Beautiful rooms, good food, nice bar and lobby. The place is huge, really fit our needs. My one issue, no fridge in the room and no cups or tea or anything. On a business trip we are given tea and coffee etc. but not in our room. After a long meeting I want a cup with some water or something. They gave water with the turn down service, but jeez provide some extra, those rooms are super dry. Other than that, I can't complain, a really nice and clean hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear "Epoh84,"

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent business stay. We value your commentary and appreciate you sharing your opinions on how we can improve upon the overall guest experience.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Safe travels,

Reviewed 17 April 2012

We just stayed over the weekend at this hotel. Below are my pros, cons, and summary of this hotel.

Pros: Rooms are nice. We were in a suite with a half bath. Location is good if you want to visit the monuments, museums, etc. Doormen and Front Desk staff were very friendly. Food was good and not outrageous. The hotel car was a nice convenience for short rides. They gave some nice stuffed animals to our kids when we checked in which was a nice touch. Free coffee in the mornings was also nice.

Cons: Hotel is not close to any shopping or restaurants. If you are there on the weekends, the CVS closes early (around 7pm) and the Starbucks closed on Friday at 7pm and we didn't see it open until Monday morning (both are across the street). Overall service was well below average. I sat at the lobby bar with my kid and didn't get service until I called the manager after about 20 minutes. The next day I had a manager or assistant Manager (Andrea) ask me to keep our kids quiet in the lobby bar at 5pm on Saturday. We were there for about 10-15 minutes trying to figure out where to grab dinner and the kids weren't all that loud considering we were in a bar and not the high end restaurant.

The concierge were generally unenthusiastic and couldn't recommend any place decent to take our family for dinner plus they lacked any sort of conviction that the restaurant would be kid friendly. The Spa was a complete nightmare for my wife who had her services re-arranged because someone called out sick but they didn't bother to tell my wife. My wife ended up cutting short her massage short because the therapist was terrible. The hotel comped her facial which was nice but she would have rather had a good experience and paid for it rather than have a terrible free experience.

Overall it was a little stuffier and much less kid friendly than all the other Mandarins I've stayed at and much less so than Ritz and Four Seasons. I'm sure it's a great hotel during the week and if you're a business traveler without kids. During the weekends it seems to be much more quiet but the staff isn't as kid friendly as you'd expect. If you're looking for more shopping and restaurants you're better off staying closer to Georgetown. This hotel is really convenient for sightseeing the museums, monuments, etc.

Room Tip: We were in 570 which was a corner suite. Very nice.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank SKPTampa

Dear "SKPTampa,"

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us following you most recent stay. We value all our guests' comments and use them to improve upon the overall guest experience.

Many thanks and safe travels,

Reviewed 16 April 2012

I stayed for one night for business. The staff is very pleasant, but also super speedy to check you in and realize that not everyone is on vacation. They were so nice to upgrade me - why I don't know, but I will take it! My room was spotless and the bed extremely comfortable. I ate at their restaurant and my dinner was excellent. The Mandarin does a terrific job at the details and I will always be a fan. One thing - there are not a ton of restaurants, etc that I could tell around outside the hotel - but there was a Starbucks and a CVS - which was great. I would just plan on doing a little restaurant research in the future.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Dear "Cglasb,"

Thank you for taking the time following your business trip to post about your recent stay! We know that things can be rather hectic following your return, so it's very much appreciated.

We hope to have the pleasure of your company again in the very near future.

Kind regards,