“Excellent traditional Ropa Vieja”

Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar
Ranked #254 of 3,666 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$25 - US$50
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban, Latin
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Corner of 9th & H Streets
Transit: Two Blocks away from Chinatown Metro Stop (Red, Yellow, Green Lines). Four Blocks from Metro Center Stop (Orange & Blue Lines)
Reviewed 1 November 2015

Have eaten here a couple of times now, and this is really great Cuban food, some in the traditional style that you will find in Miami based family restaurants, and also some innovative modern version of Cuban traditional. Definitely worth a visit. Their rum selection is also outstanding and definitely a great drink selection worth trying too.

Reviewed 27 October 2015

The decor was beautiful at this restaurant. We wondered in on a Monday night around 9:30 pm. There didn't seem to be a lot of restaurants open at the time and many more were closing at 10 pm. -- coming off of a week in NYC with absolutely fabulous dining, our expectations were high.

Neither the host or waiter was overly friendly. The dining room wasn't busy at all nor was the bar area. I ordered a sangria that was definitely the best part of my meal.. In addition, I ordered the Cuban sandwich that came with a small amount of salad and a bowl of beans, I have eaten many Cuban sandwiches at other places. This one was fine. Not overwhelmingly fantastic though. My husband ordered the tuna. It was ok. We didn't have room for dessert,

Reviewed 27 October 2015

Went for lunch. Great Cuban food! Samplers ad Tapas were plenty for each member in our party. Moderate price.

Reviewed 27 October 2015

The food was very well presented and high quality. I'm not a huge fan of some of the selections but there was a variety for all tastes (vegetarian, chicken, steak, pork, etc.). The appetizers were very good. We were a large group and the service was only "ok" which may be due to the size of our group. Service seemed a little slow. That said, I recommend this restaurant if you're interested in Cuban food.

Reviewed 27 October 2015 via mobile

While traveling for work, 5 colleagues on separate expense accounts dined at Cuba Libre. We had reservations and were seated within minutes. Our server was quickly at our table offering water and selections from the drink menu. I have a food allergy and was actually asked when we arrived if anyone in the party had a food allergy! I was impressed. Over the evening our server "checked out", stopped being attentive, never offered fresh drinks, nor water. Told me there were only two options and wanted to know if I was going to order them...etc... We ordered desserts and I ordered the one option for gluten free and it was served with a cookie on top. When I asked for a fresh one without a cookie, she said, "can't you just take it off?" No, actually I can't, and at $8 for 4 bites of dessert, I'd like it to be correct. When paying our tab she actually gave my colleague her change AND her original $50 back....not intentionally. Not sure if this was just an off night for her. We spoke to manager about our experience and he said he would address it. Offered us "Drinks" IF we came back. I don't think he'll need to worry about that. The food was excellent and creative.