“The W Hotel Rooftop Bar in Washington DC - Overated”
Review of W Washington D.C.

W Washington D.C.
Ranked #59 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 5 March 2011

We traveled to DC to stay for a Thursday night to have dinner and take in the sites (we stayed at the Capital Hilton a couple blocks away). After dinner we wanted to have a drink at a unique place in DC. Everyone has told me to go to the W roof top bar, I guess my with all the hype I was expecting to much. Like all W's you are felt like you are going to an exclusive club weaving your way through the red velvet ropes in the lobby area. Once we stepped off the elevator the staff was very attentive and pointed us in the right direction to the "terrace bar" I believe it was called. First let me comment on the facility, I know this Hotel was renovated into a W, but the outside bar looked like an afterthought. A vaulted canvas like ceiling that came down to 8' at the outside edge and a bulky large railing that obstructed your view as you sat down. The chairs and tables were very cheap and uncomfortable, they sacrificed comfort in order to maintain the chic look. They did have a number of couch's to sit on but these were all taken up, it was nice to see they did not require bottle service to sit down. It seemed to be first come to any of the seating areas unless a large party reserved them.
Now onto the bar itself; The drinks were expensive as expected ($16 tanqueray &tonic). The bartenders where very quick to serve and offer suggestions. However when I am paying premium for a drink the bartender better be in a Tux or extremely good looking; I got a guy in a black T-shirt.
My final opinion is you should go for a drink just to see the view, but not a place to frequent or start a tab at.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank hulkster22
Write a ReviewReviews (2,341)

Reviewed 27 February 2011

Where to start everything was a nightmare since the moment we checked in. They are more concerned with putting on their snotty facade than taking care of their customers. Traveling with a colleague is definately a don't-- the showers are see through! I definately wasn't told that on the phone. I had to fight through a bunch of drunks just to get to the elevator to get to my room at night. Club W begins at 6 pm and roars until morning. The steak house was delicious-- but thats about it breakfast and room service have a lot to be desired for, small portions at large prices. Plus $15 a night internet access. For what one pays to stay there you should certainly receive internet.

In sum, if you want to stay in an exclusive rave in which you can have a "private" party in your room with the $11 pleasure pack than this is the place. If you want a good hotel, with good customer service and accomadations then the W should probably not be your first pick.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Katlyn C
Reviewed 27 February 2011

Well situated and nice clean rooms. The gym is basic but there's some freeweights. Breakfast was very good too. It can get a bit noisy at night. Nightclubs and hotels don't generally mix well and here's the proof. Bar prices are too high and there's also no free wifi in rooms, just in the lobby. iPod docking station in rooms is nice touch. Staff very friendly.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank Double0dom
Reviewed 22 February 2011

My wife, infant daughter and I had the pleasure of being in Washington D.C over the President's Day weekend. I chose the W hotel based mainly on its proximity to the White House, Smithsonian, Washington momument etc. as well as the positive reviews I'd read here. This property is truly fantastic, and despite not being recommended as a family hotel, we did not have any issues in that regard. Two items of note: No pool; and, as with hotels in this class, room service is pricey.

I would not hesitate to recommend this property to others, and will indeed stay here again when in the D.C area.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank Jays_Toronto
Reviewed 19 February 2011

We stayed at the W Washington DC just last night and I must give it a mixed review. The location and decor are fabulous. Our room was clean and quite confortable. However...we waited for quite some time to check in while the desk clerk chatted with the two customers checking in ahead of us. The view from the roof top bar has to be one of the best in DC, but the drinks were quite expensive ($12 for a shot of cheap bourbon) and there was nowhere to sit since most of the couches had "reserved" signs on them. The real problem, however, is that the walls are PAPER THIN and when the roof top and lobby bars closed at 2 am it is was as if the party was in our room! Drunk people were out in the halls and on the streets screaming and laughing. This made it very difficult to get back to sleep. I would not go back!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple