“A warm and welcoming place”

Woodley Park Guest House
Ranked #3 of 35 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Wharton, Texas
“A warm and welcoming place”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

If first impressions have anything to do with it, my first impression of the Woodley Park Guest House was "Wow! If I had only known about this Guest House sooner!" I had just walked past it and was just sure it was sold out and/or beyond my travel budget. But I had to find out. I turned around and went back to check it out. Curtis (the staff member on duty) welcomed me in, offered me sweet rolls (yummy!), and hot tea. We talked, then he gave me a tour. I was so impressed that I asked if there were a vacancy starting that night. He said "yes", and I immediately went to my downtown hotel, checked out, and returned to the Guest House. That was in 2002, and I have been back to the Woodley Park Guest House every year since then, sometimes staying there 2 or 3 times per year (on college business). Over the years, I have enjoyed meeting the other guests and hearing about what brings them to DC. All this meeting and greeting happens around the large breakfast table in the dining room. Sitting out on the porch in the late afternoon for tea is a favorite passtime of mine as it is for others. The owners of the facility and the staff have been terrific hosts, and I have always felt at home at the Guest House. It is truly a warm and welcoming place.

Room Tip: I am an early riser, so Room 114 is perfect for me. It is right across from the "kitchen"...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank BWK_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Polish first
Champaign, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My son and I made our first trip to Washington DC to see the sites. The next time we visit DC, it may be just to stop by the Woodley Park Guest House and say "hello." The accomodations were clean and the conversations with the other guests over breakfast were engaging. Kudos to Courtney (the owner) for introducing everyone at breakfast and joining in the discussions. Thanks to Ingrid for directing us to the Lebanese restaurant around the corner. Kelly was friendly. Lastly, Janet is now part of the family. And to think, I just happened upon the guest house. I must have been living right!

Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
london
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I regularly visit Washington for lengthy research trips. I was very fortunate to discover the Woodley Park Guest House about five years ago. I would not contemplate staying anywhere else in the city, apart from the Embassy Circle Guest House on R Street. The guest house is ideally located in Woodley Park, which is on the red line of the Washington metro. Woodley Park is a quiet residential neighbourhood, and area has an abundance of good places to eat and drink. The guest house is a short distance from Dupont Circle, which has a broader range of restaurants. Guests can be certain of a friendly reception from the staff upon their arrival. Courtney Lodico and her staff are always happy to advise guests about Washington's numerous cultural and culinary attractions. In my experience, the rooms in the guest house are uniformly comfortable and spotless. There are a couple of rooms which have shared bathrooms, but this is no inconvenience. Not only does the guest house provide first class comfort and service, guests also benefit from a delicious continental breakfast where they will be introduced to other guests at the communal dining table. This is not always the case in similar establishments. The Woodley Park Guest House is by any standard a first class place to stay, and I always look forward to returning.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank 1john38
Athens, Tn
Reviewed 19 March 2012

After enjoying a stay at the Woodley Park Guest House three years ago I looked forward to another stay last week. It was just as enjoyable the second time with outstanding hospitality afforded by both the owners and staff. The rooms are clean and attractively furnished. It is also quiet which surprised me since it is so centrally located to restaurants, shops, the metro, and more. I am eager to get back next year! Ann D.

Room Tip: I enjoy the views from the front rooms.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Ann D
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I first stayed at Woodley Park Guest House five years ago when I came to Washington DC for a conference. There were many reasons I chose not to stay at the hotel where the conference was being held, and in the end, finding the Woodley Park Guest House was my greatest pleasure of that conference. The room was cozy, clean, and a perfect retreat at the end of the day. The bathroom was always impeccably clean, and I loved the apricot scented body lotion. I also loved that the location of the guest house encouraged a morning walk/jog/run in the zoo, and connecting with the red panda, giant panda, emu, cheetah, elephants, flamingo, kookaburra, and many other animals gave a great start to the day. I returned after my zoo excursion to the superb breakfast which included fresh fruit, stellar coffee, hard-boiled eggs and oatmeal, and best of all, interesting conversation with other guests – people I might not have otherwise connected with. The staff including the owner all the support staff are friendly and engaging – people I have talked to about politics, books, our families, the world, life, you name it. To top everything off, last year, on Valentine’s Day, I returned to find a gift of chocolate hearts in my room, and a thank you note for staying with them. Now, I can’t imagine staying anywhere else when I come for my annual conference.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business