“Delightful - safe area, good for walkers, very comfortable place”

Carriage House on Capitol Hill
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington DC
Carriage House on Capitol Hill
Ranked #29 of 35 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This B&B is like your own home...but way better. The house is amazing. I enjoyed the innkeepers - they were very friendly and helpful. My room was private and bed was soft and relaxing. They've gone to endless lengths on the decor and have the staples around (water, lite snacks, etc.). Some rooms have a cosy, shared porch. **I would stay here again in a heartbeat.** Expectations exceeded. 5 minutes (very safe at all hours) walk to good food up on 8th. Not very far at all from Library of Congress, Capitol Hill, etc. About 10 minutes walk from Eastern Market (another delight). Several blocks from the Subway - just bear in mind re: luggage.

Only note I'd make it around the stairs. Few but STEEP stairs and then stairs up to the rooms on the inside. If stairs are a problem - you'll definitely want pass.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Becky208

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Great experience overall! I arrived in the evening, and received a very warm welcome. I was shown around the house: my room, which was lovely, the kitchen where I could have breakfast, and was treated with a glass of wine. I didn't see the hostess after that, but the room was cleaned and towels were changed every day. It's an old house, so it's not that sparkly modern glass-and-concrete feel of a hotel. For me personally, it's a big advantage.

The building is a real character house! They also have a very nice balcony on the second floor, and a terrace on the main floor with soft couches to have dinner or just relax. Met the puppies twice during my 3-day stay - very friendly and funny. They never followed me to the stairs, but stayed on the main floor.

The location is wonderful! Can't beat that. Everything I needed was a walking distance from the Carriage house: Library of Congress, different museums, as well as various restaurants. Also, everyone said, it's the safest area of Washington.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Maryna123
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We booked this charming town home for a weeklong stay with our family of four. I can't say enough wonderful things about the Carriage House! First, the location was fabulous! Close to the Metro, great restaurants on 8th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, across the street from a nice, neighborhood park, and nestled in a charming Capitol Hill neighborhood. With children, one of my main concerns was feeling safe during our comings and goings, and never once did we feel uncomfortable walking around the area, even when our wanderings brought us home very late one evening. The home was clean and fresh smelling, and features a comfortable decor and a kitchen well stocked if one chooses to do some cooking. The owners were there when we needed them, even providing us with extra umbrellas during a few rainy days, and left us alone the rest of the time. This home really offers travelers the best of all worlds... an affordable option to hotels, quaint and comfortable accommodations in a lovely neighborhood, and a location that was better than I could have imagined! I would recommend it to anyone planning a trip to D.C.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 January 2013

My wife did her homework on the web and we selected this sight unseen. Wow! What a fantastic place! These folks have done a great job in preserving the 'atmosphere' and character of the historic home, plus adding a bit of their own touch. We loved the space foxes! This is a perfect location for visiting all the main activities of DC.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Lee H
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I was very happy with the accomodation and facilities. The Wi-Fi access was a real plus.
The only recomendation would be to have some one to assist with breakfast.

The house is a great period house and located very well to access all important tourist locations by foot.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo