“Depends on what you expect from a B&B”

Carriage House on Capitol Hill
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington DC
Carriage House on Capitol Hill
Ranked #29 of 35 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I have mixed feelings about this place. Depending on what you expect or need for your stay, you might want to give from 1 to 5 stars for this place.

Pro:
- Location. Just three blocks from the Capitol in a nice neighborhood that can be walked any time of day (or night). I also walked to Nationals games and back in 15 minutes. I always felt safe doing so, even at nights. However, the nearest metro station is also three blocks away. With heavy suitcases you may be better off taking a cab.
- Room. My room on the first floor was comfortable, clean, with enough closet space and a big, shared balcony. The bed was a bit soft for my taste.

Con:
- Hospitality. If you want that family feeling with cordial hosts who will give you tips on what to do and where to go, this is not the place to stay. I saw the hosts once, upon arrival, and not for the rest of my five day stay. The male maid from Ethiopia is friendly but very talkative in a pidgin English I couldn't understand most of the time.
- Breakfast. They say 'Continental Breakfast' but some cereal, yogurt and muffins don't do the trick for me.

To summarize, if you want a nice room in a great location: 5 stars. If you want a friendly chat with your hosts over breakfast: 1 star.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank cu8sfan

Reviewed 15 May 2012

Very nice accomodations in a super location. Comfortable room nicely decorated. Priced right. We were made to feel right at home by our hostess. We have stayed here twice and plan to stay again.

Room Tip: We have stayed in two different rooms; both were clean, comfortable and artfully decorated.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2012

It was our first time in washington DC and we stayed at the Carriage House for 8 days, It was very quite and very beautifully decorated it had alot of different items we liked the space Coyotes the best. Our room was very nice and the bed was very comfortable and also had a pvt bath which was nice. Theu also provided a little refrigerator in the hall way for the guest to use which was very convenient. we had family to visit us while staying there and spent time socializing in the living room and the owners offered wine and drinks whilke we visited with our family, I would recomend this place to all my friends very friendly and home like.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Lori B
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I stopped going to bed and breakfasts when I started to value my privacy and some modern amenities more than "charm". Well, at the Carriage House on Capitol Hill you get both! Once you are in your room, it is entirely private and the baths are nicely updated for lodging with this sense of history and yes, "charm". This is not one of those stuffy b & b's that will remind you of some dainty granny's spindly antiques. Instead it is done in a hip/bold/smart way that still honors the cosmopolitan history of this part of the world. There is a friendly dog and a lovely cat, and something interesting to see at every turn. If the owners are away at work you are likely to have some independence (I like that) or else meet one of the interesting-and-lovely people that help run the house (I like them, too). I prefer getting my own light breakfast in the morning and not feeling like I have to appear at a sit-down event with strangers, so the DIY breakfast is right up my alley. But, there is a friendly atmosphere and if you want conversation you will find it. It feels as if you live in this hip and imaginative house on Capitol Hill. Hooray.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank JeannieChiliBeanie
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We spent 2 days in DC and struggled to find cheap accommodation near the centre of town. We were pleasantly surprised to find a room so close to Capitol Hill and so affordable as well. Not only that, the place was beautifully decorated by the owner; each room had its own individual charm. The beds are very comfortable as well. The location is perfect and felt very safe. This has to be the best place we stayed during our 2 week holiday to the East Coast, and was one of the least expensive as well!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple