All reviews rooftop pool art and soul front desk capitol hill union station mins walk away spent one night here hotel location is great recommend this hotel walking distance huge tv birthday weekend counter space fire station complimentary coffee homeless people per day
Reviewed 19 July 2018

I am writing this towards the end of my two-week stay at the hotel for a business trip. Bottom line, I would recommend the hotel based primarily on its customer service and pool. In fact, I plan to repeat the two-week stay every summer that I have my business contract, and I have recommended that my colleagues do the same. Indeed, I signed up with the Joie de Vivre club because I fully intend to return.

For more detail, below I have organized this review in terms of the good, bad, and ugly.

Good:
Customer Service. Most important, this hotel has terrific customer service. From the front desk, to maintenance, concierge, bell staff, doormen, valets, the pool staff, housekeeping, and the bar staff, these folks are lovely - helpful and personable. They provided personal touches that are the primary reason I intend to return next year. Special shout out to Jade at the front desk who recognized and greeted me by name, and sent to my room a bottle of wine (for me) and milk and cookies (for my daughter). It really made us feel special.

Rooftop Pool.The business that hired me has an account with the Sofitel, but I asked for a hotel with a pool. Even though the Sofitel was a more convenient location to the business, I am SO happy I made the pool request. I spent some time there almost daily. It is a lovely pool with a nice (albeit expensive) bar, and great cabanas and poolside seating. I wish I could have taken advantage of the evening events that the hotel hosted on the rooftop.

Refrigerator. I was glad the hotel provided one upon request.

Bad:
Not horrible, but: I wish the rooms had microwaves; my room smelled a bit of cigarette smoke; and given that I was staying for such a long time, I think an upgrade would have been nice.

Ugly:
Check in was awful, but it was a fluke. Apparently the computers went down on July 9th, and the place was a madhouse. I paid a change flight fee to get to my job early, and I was among the 70 or so pissed off people who were stuck in the lobby as part of a delayed check in. I thought that the letter of apology from the manager that was slipped under the door later was nice, but an insufficient gesture on his part.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Lemur2007
Jeff B, General Manager at The Liaison Capitol Hill DC, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2018

Dear Lenur2007 -

Thank you very much for being our guest and for your future committment - there truly is no better compliment that we can ever receive. I also want to thank you for your patience at check-in when we had to work to overcome a system outage. It is becuase of patient guests like you that we were able to successfully work through the issue although with manuallyy checking 275 check in rooms, the process was very slow and again, your understanding was critical to us being able to work though this challenge. We appreciate the great comments on the team and I have shared your comments already with our team to highlight, as you correctly noted, guests such as yourself with an extended stay and making sure we do the little things - refrigerator, upgrades, etc. - without asing and recognizing the committment you've made to us.

We look forward to your return where I promise and committ our team to improving your overall positive experience so that we exceed your expectations. We appreciate having you with us and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 18 July 2018

From this hotel, you can walk to the National Mall and see all the museums, capitol and white house. If you like to walk, this place is heaven. If you prefer a hop on, hop off bus, the bus stops in front of the hotel. They also have a good but expensive restaurant in the lobby - BUT STAY AWAY FROM BREAKFAST. It's expensive and you get very little. There are breakfast places that offer a lot more like Phillips and others.

Parking is expensive ($20+) per day, not sure because I took Amtrak to DC. Beware of the facility fee of $22.95 + tax. This is for the use of the pool, business center and wifi. I told them I wasn't using any of those and wasn't paying any of those fees. They agreed to waive it and when I checked out, guess what - they were on the bill,$158.10 for 5 days. I received my bill and didn't check it cause I was in a hurry but noticed it the next day. I called billing and left 3 messages until someone called me back 4 days later. They agreed to credit out $131.75 but not the tax portion of $26.35. That's why I didn't give them 5 star, although the hotel services were good.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank ScubadiverNy
Jeff B, General Manager at The Liaison Capitol Hill DC, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2018

Dear ScubadiverNY -

Thank you so much for being our guest and sharing your comments online. I apologize if there were any billing or other issues with your stay as our goal is to be a seamless part of your visit to Washington and we obviously fell short of delivering on that promise. I appreciate your comments and have followed-up with our accounting team as well as 100% any charges credited, including tax, should have been adjusted. I will ensure that all adjustments made in July are reviewed and corrections made if necessary immediately. Again, I am sorry that we fell short in delivering exceptional service in every facet of your stay and hope that we will have you back in the future to demonstrate our ability to exceed your expectations. Thank you.

Reviewed 18 July 2018

We arrived early to the hotel (around 11am) and went to the front desk and spoke with Sherrod to ask if we could use the rooftop pool while we waited for check-in that afternoon - he said of course! We then asked if he could call us when our room was ready and he was able to check us in early which was a wonderful surprise! The room was spacious and clean. It was nice to be able to go to the room to change before enjoying the pool. The rooftop pool was amazing. The gentlemen that was working the door there was very pleasant and funny! The drinks are overpriced in my opinion but the overall vibe of the pool was great. I liked that they had music playing. We spent all day there until we went to a concert at the Capital One Arena that evening. Shout out to Sherrod, he was so nice and upbeat. He made us feel welcome and I will definitely stay here again because of the service he provided.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank albtravels1234

Dear albtravels1234 -

Thank you very much for being our guest at the Liaison Capitol Hill and thank you too for sharing an amazing review. We appreciate the great recognition for the team and especially Sherrod who is a difference maker at our front desk. We also love hearing you were able to enjoy the rooftop as well as DC itself. Thank you so much for being with us and sharing a graet review. We hope to have you back again soon.

Reviewed 18 July 2018

Our stay at Liaison was nothing short of great! Sherrod was extremely accommodating at the front desk and was always helpful throughout our stay. We utilized the concierge to help with dinner options and the best way to get around the city. All of the staff were always helpful and friendly, making our stay enjoyable! The rooms were clean and a great size and the hotel was in a great location! I would highly recommend this hotel and would absolutely stay here again when visiting DC.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Lindsay W

Dear Lindsay W -

Thank you so much for being our guest at the Liaison Capitol Hill! Thank you too for the shout out to Sherrod. As you know, he is a dynamic personality at our desk and it is great to hear that he had such a great impact on your visit. We also greatly appreciate the recommendation as there is really no better compliment that we can receive. We hope to have you back again soon and thank you again.

Reviewed 18 July 2018 via mobile

Jade at the front desk was so warm and welcoming when we first got there. My fiancee and I got engaged on the trip, she heard about it and sent us chocolate covered strawberries, champagne, and a card. So incredibly thankful for her kind soul. Also night shift at the desk, Jason was great and super helpful to us at 1am when we got back froma concert. House keeping was great room was always clean and they were super fast when bringing us extra items requested. Only downside about hotel was the parking. Over all 5 stars it was a great stay.

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Leia V

Dear Leia V -

First off, CONGRATULATIONS! We are happy for you and appreciative that you were with us for what turned out to be an extra-special stay. Thank you too for the great comments about Jade. She is one of our key team members at the desk and we love hearing that she was able to enhance your experience with us. We look forward to having you back again soon and again, congratulations on your engagement.