Ways to Experience Salton Sea
from US$177.67
More Info
from US$120.00
More Info
All reviews palm springs bombay beach recreation area largest lake salvation mountain visitor center slab city box canyon day trip bird life an interesting place interesting history birds runoff shoreline documentary agriculture
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 December 2020

We went first to the Salton Sea. We went near the Salton Sea. We touched it and it looks good to touch.

We walked and enjoyed. We could see the Mecca Beach Salton.

There were mountains on the other side of the Salton.

This is a must!

Date of experience: February 2020
Reviewed 5 December 2020

I love old unique places to take pictures. I stopped in Bombay Beach and actually enjoyed a short walk on the beach and a drive through the town. The smell was interesting, but not intolerable in late August. The town had graffiti and interesting houses. It is a photographer's dream. I really enjoyed being there for a short time and seeing a place that has so much history. Hope you make it out there...there is nothing like it anywhere. I also drove around the whole sea. Wish I would have stopped at the other side of the lake to get more pictures, but enjoyed what I saw.

Date of experience: August 2020
1  Thank sewhiting
Reviewed 21 November 2020

Its a wasteland. I told my kids "let's go there around 4pm and avoid the swimming crowds and watch the sun go down". Lol a search about the sea's history showed that no crowds were to be expected nor likely to ever be again. After walking across the beach on the bones of dead mollusks, fish, and birds we enjoyed the serenity of a dying lake as the the sun set behind the mountains. Don't most of us like a ghost town? Why not enjoy a dead lake as well?

Date of experience: November 2020
2  Thank Drdirtski
Reviewed 15 November 2020

Yeah the Sea stinks. Dead ‘bones’ make up the beach. There aren’t ANY posh resorts, five star restaurants or gated communities. The affluent south ‘Californians’ avoid talking about this area until they need to flush the commode. (Did you know they may be mining your precious electric car batteries from here one day?) What did you expect for a body of water below sea level, in a hole out in the desert, and on the Mexico boarder??

You say you don’t like the Salton Sea and it’s surroundings... “Get on the 10 and get out of here!!”
Your right, this place is awe full.
Veamos proximo ano!!

Date of experience: October 2020
1  Thank Roadiebus
Reviewed 8 November 2020

Definitely not for everyone, but if you are interested in California's largest man-made natural disaster it's worth checking out. The day we went, the visitor center was closed so it was a very brief walk to the water. The closer to the water the muddier it gets. I didn't make it much closer than about 50 yards from the water's edge. What was most striking to me is just how big it is.

Date of experience: November 2020