“A room worthy of Marie Antoinette”
Review of Escape to Picton

Escape to Picton
Ranked #5 of 22 Picton B&B and Inns
London
“A room worthy of Marie Antoinette”
Reviewed 28 January 2012

We stayed here on our honeymoon and I'd chosen the Formal room as it seemed very romantic from the pics on the website. As we entered the room we both swore under our breath - it was really impressive. Big room, lovely old fashioned furniture and a decadent bathroom area adjacent to the main room.

Our experience of the restaurant was excellent, albeit empty - I think we must have chosen the quietest weekend in Jan/Feb for our trip, as when we ventured further afield to look for a lively place for a post-dinner drink, we found the rest of Picton equally quiet. Anyhow, back to the food - we both ate surf and turf and it was delicious. I have attached a piccy. The waiter was friendly and we had a lovely, albeit quiet evening.

The other room (the Modern room) was empty during our stay and we did sneakily peek our heads round the door, and it was most impressive. I think my husband may have even preferred it - he's not one for flouncy old fashioned stuff (but I am!)

We had a good chat with the owner on the morning of our departure - she was incredibly buzzy and friendly and chatty - so much so that we almost missed our boat tour ;-)

Yes the hotel is expensive but so is everything in New Zealand (until the British pound perks up) and as it was our honeymoon we'd opted for the loveliest places to stay, and Escape to Picton was indeed very good. The only improvement I could think of is if the hotel was plucked up from its current position and placed on the hills overlooking the harbour, for a better view and a more remote feel.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lexiloola

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Escape to Picton was our favourite place that we stayed whilst travelling New Zealand. The rooms are beautiful and the the dinner we had in the evening was very nice as was the cocktails we had. Thank you and we would love to come back.

Room Tip: The French Room
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fred E
Picton
Reviewed 25 January 2012

I have dined at this restaurant on three occasions now.
Thankfully, I only paid the first time (the subsequent visits were paid for by other people). Each time we had to wait for an hour for our meal to arrive even though there were only a couple of others in the restaurant. The meals were of a poor standard for the price paid, steak full of gristle, fish drowned a revolting sauce, undercooked rice etc. This restaurant seems to be trying too hard to be posh, and forgetting what a restaurant should be about: good food and good service.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank Pip C
Escapetopicton, Owner at Escape to Picton, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
This review was also posted on Menumania and on both sites, it is the only one for this reviewer I believe this to be deliberate. It is a shame as this is the hotel site not the restaurant site, and for those who know tripadvisor this is to bring down the rating of this Hotel. Get a life!

Hello Pip, As you have not put much information firstly we time all dockets and no clients have ever waited an hour maybe if from the start they have an entrée and eat these and then mains might be an hour but not for a main alone. We have not had any nights in the last five months were we have had only a few diners??? as we have been extremely busy. The steak does not have gristle it has some fat on it as it is sirloin to keep it moist the fish is a extremely popular dish and I am unsure of what you ate as it seems you had three different mains. We would hope like most clients you let us know what you didnt like on the night. I find the term posh to be odd as what does this have to do with anything, is it that we have a beautiful decor again I am unsure If you are so unhappy and been here three times please dont come again as you really dont enjoy it and a lot of others do. Kind Regards Juliearna Kavanagh
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 20 January 2012

While this hotel gets rave reviews, my experience was unacceptable and so I am inspired to write.
We arrived to a non existent reception area where a young lady sat with headphones and a computer.
We were told to get our luggage, take off our shoes prior to going upstairs on the new carpet??, and then were shown to the rooms. We had booked both rooms upstairs at an extremely high rate so I was quite alarmed at this reception.
This JJ is not a Kiwi and she was the ONLY person in all of New Zealand who we experienced as pure Capitalist. She is in the business of gouging and dodging and gave a hint of that behavior prior to our arrival. Too bad I did not listen to my instincts. Now you know. Try the Historic Sennen House. It is the antithesis of the weary and mean spirited aura of the Escape To Picton local.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank gaile p
Escapetopicton, Owner at Escape to Picton, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Hello Gaile P,

1/ You Booked two suites for the 29th & 30th of December and didn’t turn up on the 29th.
2/ You were given a discount rate of between $150 to $195 off each suite.
3/ We only have three suites here and have been full.
4/ You missed your ferry on the 29th and your daughter rung us at 6pm on the 29th to say so.
5/ In all correspondence it is stated cancelations within 21 days are 30% and 7 days are 100%
6/ You could have caught several other ferries that evening but didn’t and then arrived 5.30pm the next day?
7/ Yes you were charged the full discounted rate as we waited for you to arrive and we could not sell the suites, you did not leave a telephone number and your daughter who was driving was on the phone to the staff member. In New Zealand we do not use the phone and drive.
8/ I am 100% Kiwi!
9/ Eden my daughter performs in the restaurant and had head phones on as she was doing her backing CD and she didn’t want to disturb our other lovely guest.
10/ I travel a lot and I have been caught out myself for all sorts of reason’s ash cloud etc so I asked if you had insurance and you said no I the most awful manner.
My advice is you should when travelling at this level as suites are not cheap in high season. I must have said several times I sympathised with your situation but we have to charge.
11/ You asked me to move people around on the 31st of December, New Years Eve so off course for any normal person that is a No.
12/ I sent up a nice bottle of Champagne plus a very large platter and later in the evening you stated I should have shouted all your drinks in the bar again No.
13/ You wanted me to give your money back but we are small and those suites would have been full as we turned away other’s in the month prior.
14/ We have a reception area but again we are small and staff come straight around when you come to the door. There is a door bell?
15/ You believe you were ripped of as you missed your own Ferry or maybe you got the dates wrong which is more likely as you turned up so late the next day.
16/ You were never told to get your luggage that is madness and anyone who has ever stayed here knows different we always offer to help with bags. This pure rubbish!
16/ Your suites were clean and the next day when you came back to have a go on New Years Eve and said there was a mark on the comforter again madness, you were an embarrassment to your own old adult children who rolled their eyes at you.

Beware should be anyone who crosses your path. If you would like to read in more detail please do so below.

Escape to Picton is a small three suite hotel with a restaurant.
Gaile was booked for herself and her two grown children in their late twenty’s on the nights of the 29th & 30th of December and as they were taking two suites on the top floor we discounted the rate from $595 & $550 to $400 each suite. This is our peak time of the year and as we only have three suites, we are full most nights. On the 29th of December we received a call at Escape around 6pm to say they had missed their Wellington Ferry, there were other ferries that night from Wellington so we waited for them to arrive. I also sent an email as we did not have a contact number, with no reply, we waited till midnight as the last ferry gets in at around 11.35pm. They did not arrive until the next day at 5.30pm which is odd as you would have thought they would have caught one of the earlier ferries that day, but again it is up to the client when they wish to arrive. In all our correspondence it is stated if you cancel within 21 days a 30% charge is made and within 7 days, 100% will be charged as we can not sell the suites as most customer pre book. On arrival Eden our daughter was here putting together a backing cd as she performs in the restaurant singing each night, so hence the head phones to not disturb the other guests in the Sea room. The staff asked if they would like a hand with luggage but were told that it was ok, I also sent up a very nice bottle of bubbles and a beautiful fruit & chocolate platter. The only thing correct in this review is the young lady who showed them to their suites was new and she took her shoes off as we have cream carpet and these guests followed suit, the young lady should have said that the guest were absolutely fine to leave their shoes on it is just staff who have been in and out of the kitchen take theirs off. She apologised several times and was told don’t worry it is fine.
The comment I am not a Kiwi is nuts I was born in Gore and I am sooooo kiwi I am not sure of where you think I am from my ex husband is Irish?
I am not a capitalist I work extremely hard and very long hours, most of our customers are really lovely but I believe you will have problems were ever you go and whatever you do as you were the most aggressive client we or I have ever had in 25 years your nature was horrid.
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 November 2011

My husband and I run Motels in Little Kaiteriteri and needed a break away that incorporated a little bit of luxury. We found this at Escape to Picton. As we don't normally stay in establishments as luxurious as this we were unsure how we would be recieved...but we needn't have worried Juliarna met us when we checked in, upgraded us to the top suite, chatted away to us and ensured that we had everything we needed to have a truly relaxing and wonderful stay. The room was amazing with California King Size bed and beautiful antique style furniture throughout. The bathroom was huge with a gorgeous bath and large shower. We had dinner downstairs (Juliearna is the head chef as well) I had a steak in Marsala sauce which was cooked to perfection and my husband had a succulent chicken dish. The wines were beautiful and dessert was luscious. In the morning we were greeted early with a full breakfast including jams, bacon, eggs etc.. once again cooked beautifully.
We found Escape to Picton delightful, our host Juliearna was a joy as was her staff and some of the other guests we talked too. This was a very special and romantic time for us and surpassed our expectations. We will be back and have invited Juliearna to stay at our establishment soon...although it pales in comparison to Escape to Picton!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple