US$164
La Rochelle Motel(Akaroa)(Great Value!)
US$79
Hotels.com
Akaroa Waterfront Motels(Akaroa)(Great Value!)
US$83
Priceline
Blythcliffe(Akaroa)
L'Abri(Akaroa)
Akaroa Village Inn(Akaroa)(Great Value!)
Akaroa Criterion Motel(Akaroa)(Great Value!)
Twin Gullies B&B(Akaroa)(Great Value!)
Akaroa TOP 10 Holiday Park(Akaroa)(Great Value!)
  • Pool
All reviewsgatekeepers cottageoutdoor baththe main houseopen firebabbling streamfive minute drivenative bushhidden awaywonderful place to relaxdawn choruscomfortable bedsurrounding countrysidefriendly hostsakaroa villagelocal knowledgeshops and restaurantsmark
Reviewed 9 July 2017

While the general state of the cottage was ok there where a few things that let the experience of the stay down dramatically.

1 There is no TV reception. this is not stated in any of the advertising media on their website.This is generally a basic feature in any "4 star" rated accommodation While there are a handful of DVDs to look at,( i believe 5) they are out dated.

2 There was no radio reception. we tried searching with the equipment provided
with no success.

3 There is no electric blanket provided. in what is really a cold cottage.

4 The shower head was full of calcium and had terrible water flow, Previous visitors had mentioned this to the management but nothing has been done about it.

5 There is no hand basin in the bathroom as such, in fact the bathroom and laundry are combined and you have to use the laundry tub for washing yourself.

6 The out door bath feature,The enamel has lifted off the bottom of the bath and has rusted.Do the management seriously believe people are going to bath in that??

7. the majestic gardens shown on their website where over grown and full of weeds.

8 There was no reception area, or welcome for the quests. in fact we never saw or met the management of this place the whole weekend we were there.

Overall rating this place "4 stars" is totally in correct for the price charged. it is nothing more than the equivalent of renting a bach in the country.

2 stars at the most :(

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
hopefultraveller54, Owner at Kokopu Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2017

Oh dear Jeff, it seems the only thing you enjoyed about the cottage was going home to write your review.
In response I would like to say:
1. Yes, there is no television. I had told you that in an email in response to your question about television so it was no surprise to you when you arrived. Also, in the same email I offered you more DVD's if you wanted them. You didn't asked me. If it was a big problem you should perhaps have booked elsewhere. We have no television ourselves and for most of our guests this is not a problem. The fact that we have 4 stars is not of our making. It is in fact because most of our guests come to have an enjoyable holiday - with or without television.
2. The radio was definitely an issue which I have dealt with. Once again you could have asked me as I did say to you, when I met you initially, to let me know if there is anything you need.
3. There is no electric blanket because there is a very expensive down mattress topper. And hot water bottles.
4. The shower head issue. You may recall that I left a message on your phone about it offering to fix it for you. Once again you did not contact me. We do have our own spring so the water comes from up the hill. We are not on mains pressure as you are in the city.
5. The laundry tub is there because we used to live in the house ourselves and as it is a working farm, a conventional hand basin would have been useless. Some people stay for a while so can use the tub for cleaning tramping boots etc. They don't usually wash themselves in it as you seemed to want to do.
6. The management i.e. me, whom you met, do expect people to use the bath with the enamel burnt off. This happens because some guests let the water out before the fire has gone out. I cannot replace the bath every time this happens. It doesn't seem to be an issue for some guests.
7. The "majestic gardens" - you were here in mid winter and you may not realise, but it is actually too wet to garden at the moment.
8. That was me you met when you arrived. I was talking to your partner when you appeared from around the side of the house. I spoke to you. This is not a 5 star venue as you correctly stated. I cannot sit in a reception area all day awaiting your arrival. That was my daughter you abused when you returned the key. She most certainly remembers you!
This is a bach in the country but as the guests immediately after you said " this is a magic place".

Reviewed 6 May 2017

We spent 6 glorious nights hidden away in Kokopu cottage. It was a perfect location for us to explore Akaroa and the surrounding countryside both on foot and by car. It was wonderful to wake up to the sounds of the birds and the babbling stream every morning. The cottage is well equipped and comfortable with impressive views up to the hills above. Would love to go back, if only we lived closer....

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 March 2017

Our stay at the Gatekeepers Cottage was very enjoyable and Wendy and Mark went out of their way to ensure that we got the best from our time in Akaroa. The location was rural whilst only a five minute drive from the centre of Akaroa.

Stayed: March 2017
Reviewed 6 March 2017

Stunning hidden retreat, relaxed tasteful décor and a view out every window. Loved the birdsong and the native bush. Romantic, fabulous outdoor bath topped off a great weekend. The attention to detail of this restored cottage was a joy, we hope to be back to enjoy the fire in the winter.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2016 via mobile

We stayed in the little cottage, there is also a B&B option at the house. The house is wonderfully restored with a beautiful big open fire. Just outside the back door is a babbling brook with friendly eel and native planting. A small bridge crosses the creek and a path meanders into the native bush where you will discover a wood fired bath. A great place to relax a night below the stars. 20 mins walk to Akaroa town.

My favorite get away