Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
US$166
View deal
Hotels.comUS$166
TravelocityUS$166
Orbitz.comUS$166
CheapTicketsUS$166
TripadvisorUS$166
eDreams
All reviews high tatras living room breakfast was delicious grandhotel cablecar jacuzzi receptionist autumn
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 January 2020

Stayed during new year's holiday with my family in a beautiful suite and I can recommend the place especially for families with children. Room was excellent (it better be for more than 300 eur/night with half board) and spotless. Only drawbacks was the lack of a proper shower (large Jacuzzi instead) and the relatively low wifi signal, especially in the studio.
Positive notes:
- buffet breakfast was excellent and buffet dinner more than acceptable
- spa excellent for children, much less if you're an adult looking for peace and relax. this is obvious in the pool, much less in the sauna area.
- very practical shuttle for the sky resort since you're not really supposed to use your car once you find a parking (see the negatives).
Negative notes:
- parking is an absolute catastrophe with much less parking lots than required and no staff available for any kind of help to find a place to park or even a spot to just unload your car. No valet service. Once you find a place you better forget about using your car until you leave.
- staff is mostly young and inexperienced and I find they lack training and proper supervision. While this is an understandable "work in progress" in the restaurants, I find it not acceptable at the reception desk: personnel there was ranging from unhelpful to outright rude.
All in all it was a beautiful experience but I recommend the management to invest time and money in staff training and selection. Especially after all the expenses to refurbish this splendid hotel, it is worth having a staff on the same level.

Date of stay: January 2020
M_Fujka, General Manager at Grand Hotel Stary Smokovec, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2020

Dear Mr. Enrico,
Thank you for taking the time out to write a review of your stay with us at the Grandhotel Starý Smokovec. Your forthright report is very much appreciated, as it does help us in improving our services and pointing out where we're falling short. We have investigated upon your mentioned points and will be training and reinforcing our standards to ensure that such events do not occur again in the future.
I believe we can do better, and I'd like you to experience out level of service as it's intended, if you would give us another chance.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 6 January 2020 via mobile

I always start with reading comments before I make a reservation. If the reviews have many negative things in common I choose not to book . This time I did ignore the rewievs with many negative things in common because all the other hotels in the area were full. My mistake.
Grand hotel stary smokovec aspires to be 4 star, however its staff and some of the facilities are not meeting the standard. A couple of examples:

-outdated interiors
-double bed are single beds pushed together,
-outdated bathroom interior
-flickering light in the bathroom
-mold in the bathroom
-no complemintary water in the room
- unhelpful moody staff and rude reception staff ,especially the young woman and man working daytime on the 27th of December
-hairballs by the pool
- the spa pricelist available in the room doesn’t match with the pricelist in the spa.

On top of this I booked a massage and it took place In a cold fitnessroom with a massagebed. Since the room had a wall of glas,one could hear the noise outside. Not so relaxing in other words.

I will not come back nor will I recommend this hotel to anyone.There are far better hotels for this price.

Date of stay: January 2020

Dear Ms. Anna,
Firstly, thank you for taking your time out to write a review of your stay. I'm distraught to learn that your experience at our hotel has been so poor. I'd like you to know that this is absolutely not the experience that we want our guests to have. Rest assured that we will be taking this very seriously and will be looking into the matter.

Reviewed 13 November 2019

I visited this old hotel for good positin,style and good reviews. I was satisfied especially, during my stay I partcipete for a movie realization with some slovak actors. Movie which will be on cinema on 2020.The hotel is good and I recommend it

Date of stay: March 2019
M_Fujka, General Manager at Grand Hotel Stary Smokovec, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2019

Dear Gelu Cojan,
Thank you for taking the time out to write such comments about your stay with us at the Grandhotel Starý Smokovec. We're very happy to hear that you've enjoyed your experience. I hope we'll continue to have the opportunity of hosting you here for your future visits to High Tatras!

Reviewed 25 September 2019 via mobile

This is very nice hotel on a very nice place in the village. Friendly people in the reception and very helpful. Rooms are looking very nice. We stay 3 nights here with half pension and here could be few remarks at service level at the restaurant. Still was better than in all other places we visit around. The worst service was at the hotel bar. Personal here did not care about the customers so much as they should . Took too long time if you was outside at the Terase before they ask and serve you. Preferably sitting with friends instead of serve you. In the evening close the bar before closing time. Did not even ask you for last order. So here needs more friendly attitude and an improvement.

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Pepasved
M_Fujka, General Manager at Grand Hotel Stary Smokovec, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2019

Dear Pepasved,
Thank you for taking the time out to write about your experience here at the Grandhotel Starý Smokovec. I'm very thankful for the candid and objective points you've made, and I'd like to let you know that we will certainly follow up on each shortfall you've mentioned. I hope to have the opportunity of hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed 22 September 2019 via mobile

This hotel is in an old building which has been maintained to a high standard. History oozes out of it whether it is the Wilson bar named after Harold Wilson or the paintings on its wall and former residents including Harold Wilson, Fidel Castro and HM Queen & Prince Philip (mot all at the same time!).

It's dining room is large and airy and serves very good food including a buffet. On warm days there is an outside terrace accessed from the dining room.

Service is friendly and unstuffy. Rooms are elegant. Facilities are good and include a spa with sauna and pool as well as pool tables.

It has an excellent location for walking, skiing and the narrow gauge railway for traveling.

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alextraveller60

Dear Alex,
Thank you for taking the time out to write a review of your stay here with us at the Grandhotel Starý Smokovec! Thank you also for the great comments. I hope we'll continue to host you for your future visits to High Tatras!