Lowest prices for your stay
eDreams
Priceline
US$179
View deal
Destinia.com
Agoda.comUS$179
FindHotel
All reviews high tatras breakfast was delicious grandhotel cablecar autumn
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 January 2020 via mobile

I always start with reading comments before I make a reservation. If the reviews have many negative things in common I choose not to book . This time I did ignore the rewievs with many negative things in common because all the other hotels in the area were full. My mistake.
Grand hotel stary smokovec aspires to be 4 star, however its staff and some of the facilities are not meeting the standard. A couple of examples:

-outdated interiors
-double bed are single beds pushed together,
-outdated bathroom interior
-flickering light in the bathroom
-mold in the bathroom
-no complemintary water in the room
- unhelpful moody staff and rude reception staff ,especially the young woman and man working daytime on the 27th of December
-hairballs by the pool
- the spa pricelist available in the room doesn’t match with the pricelist in the spa.

On top of this I booked a massage and it took place In a cold fitnessroom with a massagebed. Since the room had a wall of glas,one could hear the noise outside. Not so relaxing in other words.

I will not come back nor will I recommend this hotel to anyone.There are far better hotels for this price.

Date of stay: January 2020
M_Fujka, General Manager at Grand Hotel Stary Smokovec, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2020

Dear Ms. Anna,
Firstly, thank you for taking your time out to write a review of your stay. I'm distraught to learn that your experience at our hotel has been so poor. I'd like you to know that this is absolutely not the experience that we want our guests to have. Rest assured that we will be taking this very seriously and will be looking into the matter.

Reviewed 13 November 2019

I visited this old hotel for good positin,style and good reviews. I was satisfied especially, during my stay I partcipete for a movie realization with some slovak actors. Movie which will be on cinema on 2020.The hotel is good and I recommend it

Date of stay: March 2019
M_Fujka, General Manager at Grand Hotel Stary Smokovec, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2019

Dear Gelu Cojan,
Thank you for taking the time out to write such comments about your stay with us at the Grandhotel Starý Smokovec. We're very happy to hear that you've enjoyed your experience. I hope we'll continue to have the opportunity of hosting you here for your future visits to High Tatras!

Reviewed 25 September 2019 via mobile

This is very nice hotel on a very nice place in the village. Friendly people in the reception and very helpful. Rooms are looking very nice. We stay 3 nights here with half pension and here could be few remarks at service level at the restaurant. Still was better than in all other places we visit around. The worst service was at the hotel bar. Personal here did not care about the customers so much as they should . Took too long time if you was outside at the Terase before they ask and serve you. Preferably sitting with friends instead of serve you. In the evening close the bar before closing time. Did not even ask you for last order. So here needs more friendly attitude and an improvement.

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Pepasved
M_Fujka, General Manager at Grand Hotel Stary Smokovec, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2019

Dear Pepasved,
Thank you for taking the time out to write about your experience here at the Grandhotel Starý Smokovec. I'm very thankful for the candid and objective points you've made, and I'd like to let you know that we will certainly follow up on each shortfall you've mentioned. I hope to have the opportunity of hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed 22 September 2019 via mobile

This hotel is in an old building which has been maintained to a high standard. History oozes out of it whether it is the Wilson bar named after Harold Wilson or the paintings on its wall and former residents including Harold Wilson, Fidel Castro and HM Queen & Prince Philip (mot all at the same time!).

It's dining room is large and airy and serves very good food including a buffet. On warm days there is an outside terrace accessed from the dining room.

Service is friendly and unstuffy. Rooms are elegant. Facilities are good and include a spa with sauna and pool as well as pool tables.

It has an excellent location for walking, skiing and the narrow gauge railway for traveling.

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alextraveller60

Dear Alex,
Thank you for taking the time out to write a review of your stay here with us at the Grandhotel Starý Smokovec! Thank you also for the great comments. I hope we'll continue to host you for your future visits to High Tatras!

Reviewed 3 September 2019

The Grand is a beautiful, classy hotel which we have been visiting since 2007, our visit last week was a wonderful reaffirmation of everything we have ever experienced here. The staff are utterly professional, yet laid-back and friendly, even slightly random sometimes, which avoids the stuffiness of so many upmarket hotels. Many faces we recognised from previous visits and it was delightful to feel that one had only stepped away for a couple of days...

Our room, 214, was just stunning. Unfussy, plain, unadorned by so much of the gaudy rubbish that is woven into many hotels that style themselves as upmarket. And the view over the town then out across the plain to Poprad - was just stunning.

The breakfasts were plentiful and of excellent quality. And the spa was as good as always, not as good as Permon but very pleasant and a much, much nicer ambience overall.

Whoever runs this place really has a vocation and it’s something they should be very proud of because they gave us an absolutely super time: very many thanks, highly recommended.

Room tip: Room 214 is lovely
Date of stay: August 2019
M_Fujka, General Manager at Grand Hotel Stary Smokovec, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2019

Dear Denis,
Thank you for taking the time out to write such great comments about your stay with us at the Grandhotel Starý Smokovec. We're very happy to hear that you've enjoyed your experience. I hope we'll continue to have the opportunity of hosting you here for your future visits to High Tatras!