“There is more than the old city!”
Review of Riga

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Den Bosch, The Netherlands
83 helpful votes
“There is more than the old city!”
Reviewed 26 December 2006

I visited Riga in spring 2006. It was my first time in the Baltic.Together with some friends we stayed in Riga for 5 days.
The old city of Riga is nice to see, but very touristic. When you go more to other parts of the city (e.g. The Art Noveau-area) you will avoid the crowds and there is lots of things to see and do!
Take the train to Jurmala (small town near at the cost), it will cost you almost nothing and is a day fun. Big beach, many old wooden houses and places to eat. We've rented a car for a day end went into the countryside. This is a 'must see'! Many ruins, nice villages and a beautifull landscape. Take your hikingshoes and enjoy nature.
In all the towns and restaurants where we came, people speek good english. And as soon as you leave Riga behind you..... prices drop! I can't wait to go there again!

4 Thank New-Flying-Dutchman
Scotland
6 helpful votes
“My trip to Riga”
Reviewed 21 November 2006

Having read up a lot on here before I went, I felt suitably informed as I headed out there.

Stayed at the Albert Hotel - to AND from the airport was the same 8 Lats in the efficient Red taxi's - really helpful staff / good "basic" room / really nice restaurant for a meal / good "penthouse" bar.
No, it's not slap,bang in the middle of the tourist centre, but that gave me the option to enter and exit the melee of the centre as and when I chose.

Despite being a lone traveller, I chose to walk down to the centre each evening ( previous forum entries left me somewhat apprehensive) and can honestly say that at no time did I feel any threat from the shadows.....and indeed did not witness any fights OR muggings OR anything else you wouldn't expect of a major city ( yes, there are beggars and touts - you choose to entertain them or not!)

The best bars and restaurants have already been mentioned many times in various threads so I won't go into all that.......
The "main drag" is full of shops, eateries, pubs, clubs interspersed with grand buildings and sites of significance, however I recommend, if you have the time, to venture further into the city ( whether by foot, bus or trolleybus ) to see the non-tourist view.

From the few days I had in Riga, I walked an incredible number of miles, saw a few different sides to the city, read of the very recent struggles and exaltations of the indiginous population and was pleased that I could inject some UK pounds into their economy.

Overall ? - a terrific and interesting city worthy of a return visit.

3 Thank Piseag
Bolton
5 helpful votes
“Be careful in Riga”
Reviewed 7 November 2006

Just got back from stag weekend in Riga. Very nice city during day, 1 foot of snow there this weekend (4/5th November2006) so quite cold. Be very carefull at night, we heard various stories from people who had been beaten up by doormen of clubs for not buying girls drinks. Stay away from strip clubs if in small numbers, we know of somebody that was asked to pay £1000 for champagne they didn't even order or drink. He was English and was severley beaten. The police are not trust worthy either.

5 Thank M61
London
41 helpful votes
“Went on stag do to Riga, stayed at the Monte Kristo”
Reviewed 21 August 2006

Hotel is excellent for a stag do, simple and clean rooms, hotel bar and restaurant, english speaking reception, good location. Great stuff

Don't get split up in Riga, we had a great time, collectively, But this was tarnished by the truly awful way some of our group were treated by vertue of the fact that they were seperated from the group and too drunk to be looking after themselves. Every city has its dark side, but Riga is almost proactive at preying on those who break the golden rule of sticking together. Anyone who was on their own in our group had a 100% record of being robbed in some-way. Think you will agree that this isn't normal for any "Eurpoean" City

some places to avoid are St Marys bar and GRog, where people either paid the equivalent of 6 months average Rigan salary in a strip club (under duress) and another lost everything exept the clothers he was wearing walking home on his own.

Riga could be awesome, with amazing nightlife, but they really are biting the hand that feeds them in terms of tourism. Only go if you don't drink too much and NEVER split up from the group.

oh yeah, and the police are nearly as bad, they just send you back to the club wherever you had trouble to complain!! I think Riga can be brilliant if it just grows up a bit.

4 Thank AndyandAnia
Burford, United Kingdom
17 helpful votes
“48 hour trip”
Reviewed 22 February 2006

Interesting place-old town has some pretty architecture-open market fun for a bit-museum of architecture a chilling reminder but worth a visit-some very good restaurants-the medieval one whilst cheesy does very good food and is fun and just behind is the Alpinehus(I think) -highly reccommend-clearly a lot of new money being invested-some good bars-best hotel I think Hotel Bergs-really cool and within 10 mins walk of Old Town -just behind here is upmarket small shopping arcade and a bar I think called slide which changes from expensive restaurant to uber cool nightspot -plenty of transport and cashpoints

Been to Riga? Share your experiences!