Ekes Konvents
Ranked #4 of 69 Riga B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

We arrived at 6:10 p.m. and were greeted with indifference. We were taken to side door and told our "superior room" was at the top of the stairs. I returned to the lobby to request a map and was told they had none. I was pointed down a road with the instructions that there was a TI 200 meters away. Searched but after 3 days realized that there was none in that area. Our only other contact with hotel staff was to pick up a ticket for breakfast at a hotel a short block away. The breakfast was very average, chaotic and they had trouble keeping it supplied, especially coffee.

The final insult came at checkout when the credit card machine failed to work and we were forced to pay cash. I expressed my displeasure with the sum of the experience and received a tepid apology.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gpotvin

Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel and, unfortunately, I forgot two of my leather jackets in the room. When I got back to London the next day and realised it, I called the hotel to arrange collection, but I was told by the receptionist that my jackets were found and thrown away in the bin the same day. He told me that a cleaner found my jackets and threw them away straight away. I emailed the manager about it, but he didn't even bother to call me back and apologise for it. When I called them again, the manager said that they don't take responsibility for it and that it was my fault I forgot my jackets. He was quite rude and very unprofessional. Also, he put the phone down on me.
I find it unacceptable behaviour and absolutely ridiculous.
I travel across Europe on a regular basis due to my work. I have stayed in many hotels in Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia as well as all around the world, I have never come across such unacceptable behaviour by hotel employees. The hotel should have certain policies, including lost property. People regularly forget things. A hotel should keep lost things at least for a month or so. The staff cannot just throw away valuable things in the bin. I called the very next day, not in a month or two month time. Any normal person would never throw away two new expensive leather jackets in the bin.
I find this story unbelievable.
Don't ever stay in this hotel if you want your things to be safe in case you forget them in the hotel.
Awful customer service!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank Inara P
Reviewed 24 July 2017

Stayed here for three nights while at a conference at the university and the character of the building, exceptional service from the desk and location made this a great base for our first trip to Riga. This is an older structure in the UNESCO heritage area with winding stair, odd sized doors and passages, and can't be compared to a new structure. People looking for 4 star new construction- go to those instead. This building is 400 years old and you can't replicate that! It is wonderful in that way, but more difficult for elderly or large baggage. Our room overlooked the courtyard shared with another building. The curtains are sheer, so those who are a bit shy are warned...Evening music [it is in popular tourist area] trends down by 10:30. Nights were quiet. The bath was a simple wooden wall with pair of doors separating the original room in two with some interesting clerestory glass over the 7 foot level. New fixtures worked well. Deep sill at the window I used as a desk for my laptop. Breakfast was in an adjacent hotel with a reasonable spread of options, including herring. This is a fantastic place and we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front may have more night sound bit overlook the church. The rear rooms overlook a quie...
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

Ekes Konvents is a nice little hotel in the old town of Riga. It is not a typical hotel, which made it a more authentic stay in Riga. Furthermore, it is close to the sightseeings, restaurants, shops and bars. The breakfast is quite good, but the neighbourhood is loud at night, the matras thin and our room had no curtains, so we didn't sleep very well. Adding good curtains would really improve the hotel and your night! Staff is helpful! Summarising, a really cosy and authentic hotel but not the best place to sleep!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2017

Ekes Konvents is a nice small hotel and with historic flair opposite of the St Petri church in the middle of the old town. It is not suited for disabled people because of its steep staircase (no elevator). It's a perfect location to visit the old town, but attention, there are in summer many street musicians playing until midnight, so street orientated rooms can be sometimes noisy.
The breakfast is disappointing, it must be taken outside the hotel in a nearby restaurant, some bad industrial products, breakfast room to small, personal not able to manage afflux of people. We recommand to take breakfast in some of the nearby cafes which is much more conveniant.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple