“A fantastic hostel in a great location”

Riga Old Town Hostel & Backpackers Pub
Ranked #10 of 139 Speciality Lodging in Riga
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“A fantastic hostel in a great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

Had a great time staying in this hostel. Went to Riga for 2 nights to see Rammstein. This hostel is in a great location close to loads of pubs, which John helped us point out the best ones. The pub in the hostel is a great place to hang in itself. The beds were clean if a little creaky. Rooms are mixed but nobody seems to mind, a great atmosphere all round.

• Stayed February 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Finnish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

This is my first review I've ever written as I give credit where credit is due. Latvia is an amazing city with amazing women. There's lots to do and nightlife is amazing. The guy who owns it, John sorted us out with stuff to do and very helpful. Be warned its very cold in january. I'd recommend bob slieghing and a beer in the sky bar over looking the city. Also a massage very very pleasing:) we didn't see no trouble what so ever.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Billabong1985
Riga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

I have been using the pub and hostel here since they opened all those years back. I have stayed in many places around the world and for sure this place is not sterile or boring.

Not all of the light bulbs work but that just adds to the character of the space. Staff are fun and honest, just my advice to people looking for a hotel or a fancy flashpackers palace is to look elsewhere. This is a space for travelers, beer lovers and over 21s....

You are sure to love this place if you remember how independent hostels used to be before the days of internet bookings. I should point out I stayed here many times before I moved to Riga, have placed family and friends a like in their caring hands and have probably consumed far too much alcohol in the pub downstairs.

Not everything runs like clockwork but the bunks are comfortable.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Jeldridge
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

The first time I entered the place, it was not organised in any sense. Yes, John, the irishman is a little crazy, but quirky and nice once you get past the crazy appearance. My check-in was very quick and a little sloppy, half-way through the check-in something was happening outside and he almost ran outside with my passport still in hand from checking me in. Luckily he stopped at the door. I freaked out just a little bit.

I went up the 5 floors of stairs to my dorm, which was ok. The place in general could have done with a more thorough clean and maintenance. The functioning of the shower and toilet was good, but the bathroom could have a bit more time put into it. On top of that, the wi-fi advertised is very bad and didn't even work while I was there. Despite them letting people use the one computer with internet downstairs, one thing I look at when I book somewhere is whether they have wi-fi.

It is old and run down, and I probably would not have gone there if I knew it would be like that.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Moscow, Russia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2011

I don't actually know anything about what this hostel is like on the inside because I didn't get past the obnoxious Irishman at the door, but I do now know that the staff are incredibly rude and unpleasant. I had to go and find somewhere else as a consequence. This place makes Fawlty Towers look friendly. Terrible. Just terrible.

Stayed May 2011, travelled on business