All reviewssparkling winequirky hotelold buildingblack breadcobblestone streetsviru gatesteep stairsno liftmerchant's houselittle thingsbigger roomnoisy at nightraekoja platscentral locationcold meatsrooms are smallfantastic hotel
Reviewed 4 September 2017

This small hotel in the historic area has lots of charm. But be aware that with the quaint rooms and ambiance come at a price. The 2 flights of stairs were a challenge for a senior in our group and the room had several ledges in the flooring which tripped up a 30 and 50 year olds. Additionally, the breakfast selection was disappointing and not as good as the other places we stayed in the Baltics. Though we did appreciate the breakfast to go offer since we had an early flight

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Anneli T, General Manager at Hotel CRU, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2017

Dear Becky K,

Thank you for taking the time and writing a review here on TripAdvisor, we appreciate it!
Did you know that the building where Cru is situated is one of the oldest buildings on Viru street, and we have kept it the way it was first built, that's why there are lots of stairs and corridors, but we feel that's why Cru is more special.

Sad to read that our breakfast did not meet the expectations, we will definitely look into that! So thank you for the feedback!

All the best and we do hope to see you one day in Cru again!

Reviewed 3 September 2017

This hotel is located near the Viru Gate in Old Town. It is a short walk to bus stops that will take you to either the airport or the intercity bus terminal.

It can be quite a walk from the door to your room, through twisting corridors and up and down steps.

Our room was much larger than most hotel rooms. It featured a four-poster bed and a sofa with coffee table. There were two free electrical outlets for recharging gadgets. Everything in the bathroom worked properly. However, the shower stall is on the same level as the rest of the bathroom, and so the floor will flood when you shower. The safe in the room is a big heavy box, which you open with a heavy old-fashioned key. There was plenty of storage space for two people in a four-day stay.

The breakfast buffet is not large, but it includes everything to accommodate the different concepts of breakfast that the guests will have. There is coffee Americano in urns, and the staff will make expresso, latte, etc. on request.

There can be some noise early in the evening from the restaurant in the courtyard, but it doesn't last very late.

Room Tip: There are stairs between the entrance and the rooms. No elevator.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Dearest Davanden,

It was our pleasure to host you here at Cru and thank you so much for choosing to stay with us on your travels in Estonia.
Very nice to read your kind and detailed review here on TripAdvisor, thank you for taking the time!
You are absolutely right about the bathrooms, and to be honest, most of the rooms have shower stall on the same level as the rest of the bathroom, it can get really wet. We have some ideas how to solve this, but because the building is super old so everything just takes lot more time.

About the noise from the restaurant, it can happen during the summer season, but once the courtyard is closed for the low season and winter sets in, it will be quieter, then again, very romantic, a winter wonderland feeling will set in. Wish you would come and see that season too!

Thank you again and all the best! Hope to see you in Cru one day!

Reviewed 28 August 2017

I stayed here as a solo traveller in August. I took the ferry across from Helsinki and walked to Hotel CRU and left via the airport. Hotel CRU is ideally located, so close to the old town square and castle complex as well as easily accessible from the ferry terminal and airport by bus. I arrived from Helsinki on the ferry and left through the airport and had an easy journey both times. The hotel is perfect for exploring the old town of Tallinn as it makes up part of the old town street.

The hotel itself was somewhat a labyrinth to navigate and had no elevator which was a minor struggle for me with my luggage but it is definitely worth it to be located in an original Tallinn building. The room was nicely laid out, small but modern with everything you need including a safe, which is a huge plus for me as an international traveller.

The breakfast was great, not a very large selection but everything I would usually have at breakfast. The staff at breakfast were also very friendly.

The reception staff were helpful and attended to anything I needed. They were also happy to keep my luggage after I had checked out.

I had a lovely stay at the Hotel CRU and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to be amongst it all in Tallinn. A bit of a treat hotel for me and it was definitely worth it! I look forward to staying here again on my next visit to Tallinn!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank rachlebmelb
Anneli T, General Manager at Hotel CRU, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Dear rachlebmelb,

So happy to read your kind words and to know that you have enjoyed your time in Cru and in Tallinn.
Tallinn is a very small city, so you can actually walk everywhere. And you are absolutely right, getting to Cru from the port, bus terminal or the airport is very easy. Cru is located on one of the mains streets, Viru street in the old town and the legend says that this is the oldest building on Viru street. So we are very happy to have a hotel in such a historical place.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and next time you are planning your travel to Tallinn, do contact us directly:
cruhotel@cruhotel.eu

Reviewed 23 August 2017

We loved our stay in the Hotel CRU :) After several weeks travelling, we felt comfortable, relaxed and well looked-after here. Our room was spacious, great beds, lovely bathroom and shower. The reception staff were friendly and very helpful, advising us on activities and transport arrangements. The hotel is in a great location on one of the main streets, and has been given stylish modern touches inside a rambling old merchant's house. I loved the hotel's special rye bread at breakfast :) We would definitely recommend the Hotel Cru to other visitors to Tallinn!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Dear Cleanuplady,

It was our pleasure to host you here at Cru, thank you so much for choosing to stay with us!
Thank you for the kind word shared! Did you know that our special bread that our chefs make every morning, you can actually buy it and take it with you also. And because it is fresh every morning, so the well kept loaf will actually last at-least a week, so next time you visit us, take some back home!

Hope to see you here soon!

Reviewed 22 August 2017

Stayed there for five nights in August. Great location as once you enter the Viru Gate of the old town, you can reach the hotel within two minutes. After checking in on the first day, I had a few problems with the room, but with the help of their staff, the problems were solved efficiently and professionally. Here, I really like to thank Ms. Berit, the nice lady on duty that day. I never expect a perfect hotel, but one that strives to solve problems for their guests.

The hotel is a very pretty quaint old building, with a character. It is not easy to find a unique hotel these days. Every time I stepped on the stairs and walked along their corridors, it was a pleasant experience.

However, I have to admit that the breakfast they provided did not contain a variety of choices. Just something basic. But, the ambience of the restaurant was excellent. The staff were polite and decent. And, when I asked for a cappuccino, it was prepared by the staff with latte-art on it. That was clever. It instantly makes your day start in a perfect way!

My impression is that the management team knows very well the strengths and weaknesses of the hotel and that the staff are trained to serve with enthusiasm and politeness. Only one thing I think the hotel may try to improve, which is to minimise the noise level from the retaurant. I understand it is normal to have noise from a restaurant, as diners are enjoying their meals and sharing conversations. But as some rooms are directly above the restaurant, guests may be disturbed by the noise. If you need a peaceful and quiet place to rest, especially in the evening, it may be difficult. But, I believe with such a competent and meticulous management team, the hotel must be able to figure out ways to further improve, if they do perceive it as a problem.

Overall speaking, my stay in Cru is one of the most memorable ones.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo

Dear ZY1907,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay in Cru hotel on your travels to Tallinn. It is such a delight to read reviews like yours. Very detailed, honest, passionate and very kind.
Thank you for sharing the ideas where we can improve ourselves. We are most pleased when our guests say what they need and want from us, so that we could offer a better emotion, better care.

Ms Berit is a star, so thank you for pointing that out, we make sure she know that her way of working has been appreciated and we are really happy to have people like her on our team.

Thank you again, and we do hope to see you in Cru soon!